Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Consanguineous Relationships + Intermarriage

Wikiposts

Consanguineous Relationships + Intermarriage

Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:29 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consanguineous Relationships + Intermarriage

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Are you getting stoned, or did you mean Bonk Gully?
Bonk Gully? Think I been there in my younger years
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:31 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I appreciate you have provided sources and I will research mine though it may take a little while as real life does intrude. All I can say at this point is that my statements are as honest as I can make them and that research done in 1988 doesn't cut it.

Also some with an agenda do make a definite try at proving "their point" even if they have good credentials.
I asked a general question...2 actually that I believe to be related. I don't have an agenda, but I do have an interest and everything I've read has lead me to the conclusions that I hold. But I'm open minded and willing to listen to the ideas of others....however, until those ideas are shown you won't get me to change my opinions...
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Consanguineous Relationships are the posh name for inbreeding and are still widely prevalent in Australia among Aborigine, Immigrant and demographically dispersed populations.

Also in West Norfolk, UK....probably elsewhere here as well, but that is the one that I am personally familiar with.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:32 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
Do you live near them? :scared:
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you getting stoned, or did you mean Bonk Gully?

Stoned, no....just a little delerious!!

and nope....I definatly meant 'Bong Gully'!!

Now quit posting to me so I can go to bed!!!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:34 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Also in West Norfolk, UK....probably elsewhere here as well, but that is the one that I am personally familiar with.
Out of the swamps :scared:
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:47 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I'm open minded and willing to listen to the ideas of others....however, until those ideas are shown you won't get me to change my opinions...
Fair Enough. I will post my sources as soon as I have located them. We are all entitled to our own opinons. I just want to research the info I have heard and present it. Once I have, you can still believe what you wish
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
My understanding is that you CANNOT marry your first cousin. The law may have changed, but I am not aware of any such changes. Perhaps it does need further investigation.

The English royal family have been doing it for centuries
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:51 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I don't know about Australia, but I've always been told that cousins CAN marry.

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than marry any of my cousins - they were not blessed with my side of the families good genes
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I don't know about Australia, but I've always been told that cousins CAN marry.
my friend married her first cousin - had to have extra pregnancy checks though, but her kids are fine
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DebraH
my friend married her first cousin - had to have extra pregnancy checks though, but her kids are fine
Ditto! Except for her last child which has an abnormal growth on the left side of her face which is not responding to treatment, its sort of like a strawberry mark with a large growth, its under her ear/jawline. She did tell me what it was called but I can't remember. I do remember her gp hinting that it 'may'be something to do with genes They are Syrian and their families were really pleased when they got together.

I don't comment on it to her its none of my business, she did ask me what i thought of it though.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:50 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Consanguineous Relationships + Intermarriage

Lebanese are among the highest rate of consanguineous relationships of immigrants in Australia along with Vietnamese and Turkish populations. I wonder why these groups find it harder to integrate....or is that a different issue?
Don't know about the Vietnamese, but for the Lebanese and Turks the answere is simple: religion.

Just look at all the ghettos and enclaves in Britain. Doesn't take a genius to work out the prevailing factor there.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:59 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Consanguineous Relationships + Intermarriage

My wife is a high school teacher, and works at a state school in Lozells. Previously, she worked at a state school in Walsall.

In both schools, she was struck by the number of Asian children (sub-continent, not oriental) with birth defects of various kinds. The most frequent were problems in the hands and feet - particularly the presence of additional digits. Apparently this is also common amongst the ultra-conservative "Old Order" Amish communities of Pennsylvania.

It is a classic sign of inbreeding.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:13 pm
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Don't know about the Vietnamese, but for the Lebanese and Turks the answere is simple: religion.

Just look at all the ghettos and enclaves in Britain. Doesn't take a genius to work out the prevailing factor there.
Religion is certainly one factor but maybe it isn't the only one? Surely if that was the case, other Arabic peoples would have equally low rates of intermarriage?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:29 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

You can marry your 1st cousin in England.

a man cannot marry:

Mother (also step-mother, former step-mother, mother-in-law, former mother-in-law, adoptive mother or former adoptive mother)
Daughter (also step-daughter, former step-daughter, daughter-in-law, former daughter-in-law, adoptive daughter or former adoptive daughter)
Sister (also half-sister)
Father's mother (grandmother)
Mother's mother (grandmother)
Father's father's former wife (step-grandmother)
Mother's father's former wife (step-grandmother)
Son's daughter (granddaughter)
Daughter's daughter (granddaughter)
Wife's son's daughter (step-granddaughter)
Wife's daughter's daughter (step-granddaughter)
Son's son's wife (grandson's wife)
Daughter's son's wife (grandson's wife)
Father's sister (aunt)
Mother's sister (aunt)
Brother's daughter (niece)
Sister's daughter (niece)

A woman may not marry her:

Father (also step-father, former step-father, father-in-law, former father-in-law, adoptive father or former adoptive father)
Son (also step-son, former step-son, son-in-law, former son-in-law, adoptive son or former adoptive son)
Brother (also half-brother or step-brother)
Father's father (grandfather)
Mother's father (grandfather)
Mother's mother's former husband (step-grandfather)
Father's mother's former husband (step-grandfather)
Son's son (grandson)
Daughter's son (grandson)
Husband's daughter's son (step grandson)
Husband's son's son (step grandson)
Son's daughter's husband (granddaughter's husband)
Daughter's daughter's husband (granddaughter's husband)
Father's brother (uncle)
Mother's brother (uncle)
Brother's son (nephew)
Sister's son (nephew)

Exceptions for Certain Step-Relatives and Relatives-in-Law
In England, Scotland and Wales (not Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey) the Marriage Act, 1986, allows for certain step-relatives and relatives-in-law to marry.

Step-Relatives
Step-relatives may marry provided they are at least 21 years of age. The younger of the couple must at no time before the age of 18 have lived in the same household as the older person. Neither must they have been treated as a child of the older person's family.

Relatives-in-Law
Although a man may marry his sister-in-law and a woman may marry her brother-in-law, other relatives-in-law may marry provided they are at least 21 years of age and the family members involved in creating the in-law relationship are both dead. For example, if a man wishes to marry his daughter-in-law, both his son and his son's mother must be dead. In England and Wales, marriages under this Act are not permitted with the calling of banns but can take place in a church on the authority of a superintendent registrar's certificate without licence.

You can now marry your mother-in-law, even when former partners are alive. (a case went before the European Court of Human Rights)

Last edited by Vanessa; Jun 16th 2006 at 4:33 pm. Reason: To add a bit more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.