Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Consanguineous Relationships + Intermarriage

Wikiposts

Consanguineous Relationships + Intermarriage

Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:24 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consanguineous Relationships + Intermarriage

Originally Posted by nickyc
You can marry your first cousin, but that's about as close as you can get.
My understanding is that you CANNOT marry your first cousin. The law may have changed, but I am not aware of any such changes. Perhaps it does need further investigation.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:24 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

A few miles out of Forbes/Parkes in NSW there is a small -er- shanty town (can't call it a village) suposedly populated by one very large family reputed to be overly fond of each other. It was shown to us as a kind of tourist attraction but not even the locals would drive around there at night. :scared:
Was that on a hill / hill side?

think I might know the place

Last edited by seang; Jun 16th 2006 at 1:27 am.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:26 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
The question my dad used to ask the locals for a wind up was: "If you divorce your wife is she still your sister?"
LOL My brother will always be my brother
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Was that on a hill / hill side?
It was somewhere between Forbes and Parkes and to the west of the road linking them. I don't remember it being particularly hilly, though the land could have been rising.

The place was a messy collection of houses/sheds on this country road. Junk in the front and old cars, dogs around etc. Looked exactly like the sort of place you'd imagine you'd find an inbred tribe living in!

I've got some maps of that area - I'll try to work out roughly where it was.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
My understanding is that you CANNOT marry your first cousin. The law may have changed, but I am not aware of any such changes. Perhaps it does need further investigation.
The Marriage Act prohibits people marrying:

an ancestor or descendant, or
their brother or sister (whether whole blood or half-blood siblings)
These restrictions also apply to adoptive relationships even if these have been annulled, cancelled, discharged or cease to be effective for any reason (for example, due to a subsequent adoption order being made).

This means, for example, that a person cannot marry their parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister. However, (depending of course on the sex of the party) a person may marry their aunt or uncle, niece or nephew, "first" cousin or step-sibling.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

hedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to behold

I thought that also. !!!!! My friends dad has twin sisters and they both married twin brothers, and had children. So if the children who are cousins were to marry, it would be like marrying your sister or brother (I think). They all have the same surname. I think that would be very weird if the law allowed that..
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:39 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot marry your first cousin. I have heard of some brothers and sisters who while not being able to marry, live in a defacto relationship. The scientific evidence is that children born to such a union are unlikely to suffer genetic problems anymore than anyone else.
One of the foremost Genetic researchers A H Bittles disagrees with you:

The detrimental health effects associated with consanguinity are caused by the expression of rare, recessive genes inherited from a common ancestor(s). In populations where inbred unions are common, increased levels of morbidity and mortality caused by the action of detrimental recessive genes can be predicted. Generally, inbreeding is associated with loss of biological fitness. It is however appropriate to note that, even in the absence of preferential consanguinity, alleles which are rare in large populations can rapidly increase to high frequency in a breeding pool of restricted size, because of factors such as founder effect and random genetic drift.
Empirical studies on the progeny of first cousins indicate morbidity levels to be some 1% to 4% higher than in the offspring of unrelated couples (reviewed in Bittles and Makov 1988). The less common a disorder, the greater the influence of consanguinity on its prevalence, a generalization that applies to recessive multigene disorders as well as to single gene conditions.

The whole article is on http://www.consang.net/summary/01AHBWeb3.pdf

Consanguineous relationships are no laughing matter and information about the levels in first world countries is sketchy, but public policy may be shifting against these types of relationships.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:40 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
Marriage Act 1961 says only void marriages are those between ancestors and descendent (someone marrying a child/grandchild or parent/grandparent etc.) or between brothers and sisters (including anyone adopted)

no mention of marriages between cousins, 1st second or otherwise!

will investigate further...
First cousins are allowed to marry in both England and Australia at the moment
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:41 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by spalen
For show & tell

"tell the kids to go in and say they're special because they're the only kids in their class who's parents weren't related before they were married."
Have you been to East Gippsland?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:43 am
Take it easy

You can marry your first cousin, but that's about as close as you can get.

There was an interesting article in the SMH a couple of weeks ago about the number of disabled children born to a specific branch or sect of Lebanese migrants. They were basically all related and had been marrying their cousins for generations.

A few miles out of Forbes/Parkes in NSW there is a small -er- shanty town (can't call it a village) suposedly populated by one very large family reputed to be overly fond of each other. It was shown to us as a kind of tourist attraction but not even the locals would drive around there at night. :scared:
Lebanese are among the highest rate of consanguineous relationships of immigrants in Australia along with Vietnamese and Turkish populations. I wonder why these groups find it harder to integrate....or is that a different issue?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:44 am
Take it easy

You can
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:48 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
One of the foremost Genetic researchers A H Bittles disagrees with you:

The detrimental health effects associated with consanguinity are caused by the expression of rare, recessive genes inherited from a common ancestor(s). In populations where inbred unions are common, increased levels of morbidity and mortality caused by the action of detrimental recessive genes can be predicted. Generally, inbreeding is associated with loss of biological fitness. It is however appropriate to note that, even in the absence of preferential consanguinity, alleles which are rare in large populations can rapidly increase to high frequency in a breeding pool of restricted size, because of factors such as founder effect and random genetic drift.
Empirical studies on the progeny of first cousins indicate morbidity levels to be some 1% to 4% higher than in the offspring of unrelated couples (reviewed in Bittles and Makov 1988). The less common a disorder, the greater the influence of consanguinity on its prevalence, a generalization that applies to recessive multigene disorders as well as to single gene conditions.

The whole article is on http://www.consang.net/summary/01AHBWeb3.pdf

Consanguineous relationships are no laughing matter and information about the levels in first world countries is sketchy, but public policy may be shifting against these types of relationships.
I would debate this idea that breeding children from very close familial relationships is in anyway a problem. Many emminently qualified people have absolutely stated without qualification that marrying anyone is of no importance for the majority of us. If a predisposition to a particular medical problem exists within a particular gene pool then that's different, but that is hardly the case for the vast majority.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:50 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Many emminently qualified people have absolutely stated without qualification that marrying anyone is of no importance for the majority of us.
I WILL figure this out
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seang
I WILL figure this out

Better up the language course hours!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:53 am
Take it easy

I would debate this idea that breeding children from very close familial relationships is in anyway a problem. Many emminently qualified people have absolutely stated without qualification that marrying anyone is of no importance for the majority of us. If a predisposition to a particular medical problem exists within a particular gene pool then that's different, but that is hardly the case for the vast majority.

Many emminently qualified people....errrr?????

Genetic problems identified with consanguineous relationships include:

death of infants before, during or immediately after birth, increased incidence of birth defects, genetic diseases including blinding disorders, blood cancer (acute lymphocytic leukemia), breathing problems for children at birth (apnea), increased susceptibility to disease:
source http://www.hinduonnet.com/seta/2004/...2900161600.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.