British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Connection with expat divorcees and lonely (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/connection-expat-divorcees-lonely-928853/)

Yorkey Oct 27th 2019 8:33 am

Connection with expat divorcees and lonely

hi

not sure if Iam in the correct thread
I divorced 7 years ago.
And my adult children have chosen the money and power side.

I have no no family now. I went back to reckindle my birth family but too many 35 years makes us aliens

Thanks πŸ™

Lucas_Dad Oct 28th 2019 8:12 am

Re: Connection with expat divorcees and lonely

Hi Yorkey, and welcome :)

I would say you're in as good a place as any, and I can relate to your situation totally. My wife and I separated just 5 months ago. I posted a long message here, a combination of woe is me/I deserve a slap/please help and got lots and lots of lovely supportive replies. Just like any social media, I got some of the other side too, e.g. "can't blame her for leaving" etc..... but that's fine, all part of the fun of social media. In a way, the negative responses helped me in a different way - either hard truths that I needed to hear, or opinions that empowered me in another way, like "actually, no I'm not [that] or [whatever]".

The point is, on here at least, you're not alone. Tell as much or as little as you want. The moderators will let you know if you break any forum rules!

The forum can be a little quiet at times though, so don't ever take a lack of replies personally :thumbup:

Yorkey Oct 31st 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks heaps for your reply.

It is a confusing time. As adventurous people. Only want to do what’s best for there families

i guess we we are a bit selfless. Always wanting to do more and better.
God bless you.

Your doing ok

PittwaterPrincess Nov 29th 2019 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkey (Post 12754567)
I divorced 7 years ago.

Have you tried online dating?

Things like Tinder for the young. Or Lumen for the over 50's.

Yorkey Dec 1st 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess (Post 12771594)

Lol. Yes. Have you tried

PittwaterPrincess Dec 15th 2019 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Yorkey (Post 12772193)
Yes. Have you tried

:thumbsup:

Yes. And I found some very good friends and companions (and one red hot lover!) from it.

What about you?

HUP Jan 4th 2020 7:17 am

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess (Post 12771594)

I'm 50 and use Tinder. I've met quite a few lovely women but not found the one.

I also recommend Bumble and a new one I have just found called Hinge

Pollyana Jan 4th 2020 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by HUP (Post 12785040)
I'm 50 and use Tinder. I've met quite a few lovely women but not found the one.

I also recommend Bumble and a new one I have just found called Hinge

HUP??? OMG what a name from the past! How you doing matey? :)

HUP Jan 5th 2020 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12785207)
HUP??? OMG what a name from the past! How you doing matey? :)

Hey Polly :wave: yep doing good thanks. Lifes been busy but good. Just moved into my own new build (painful process :ohmy: )

Leah has just finished university and is about to become a social worker. Niall has his own business as well as a couple of small jobs.

Flynn is a teenager now and taller than Hevs (not hard :hysterical: ) hard to believe after all the trials and tribulations of 2006.

Hows things with you?

Pollyana Jan 5th 2020 3:17 am

Originally Posted by HUP (Post 12785312)
Hey Polly :wave: yep doing good thanks. Lifes been busy but good. Just moved into my own new build (painful process :ohmy: )

Leah has just finished university and is about to become a social worker. Niall has his own business as well as a couple of small jobs.

Flynn is a teenager now and taller than Hevs (not hard :hysterical: ) hard to believe after all the trials and tribulations of 2006.

Hows things with you?

:hysterical: yep, not hard to be taller then Hevs! Its quite weird to think of them so grown up! Glad life is treating you well, apart from the pain of a new build of course. I'm old free and single, and happy to stay that way, working for Qld emergency services still - 15 years with them now so I shall stick it out till I retire then leg it back to the UK :ohmy:.

Thereandback Jan 20th 2020 6:23 am

Originally Posted by HUP (Post 12785312)

Hows things with you?

Omg... Hi guys. This is like a reunion.

How are you HUP, you really went through it back in the day.
I moved out in 2003 with Mark to Sassafras and came back to the UK after a break down in our marriage. Now I'm remarried and moving back to Aus 😁 (if the girls will come)
Why are you moving back Pollyanna?

DigitalGhost Jan 23rd 2020 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12785313)
:hysterical: yep, not hard to be taller then Hevs! Its quite weird to think of them so grown up! Glad life is treating you well, apart from the pain of a new build of course. I'm old free and single, and happy to stay that way, working for Qld emergency services still - 15 years with them now so I shall stick it out till I retire then leg it back to the UK :ohmy:.

I'd also like to know this. You would think Oz would be a much nicer place to retire and especially if you have a local pension and home etc unless you're really into trips to Europe or have family still in Britain.

Pollyana Jan 23rd 2020 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12794576)
I'd also like to know this. You would think Oz would be a much nicer place to retire and especially if you have a local pension and home etc unless you're really into trips to Europe or have family still in Britain.

All my family and almost all my friends are in the UK. TBH when I stop work I will have nothing to keep me here. I don't own property, live in a tatty rented flat, rarely go out and HATE the climate, which is slowly killing me. I'd rather get old(er) watching the waves on pebbly Brighton beach than sandy Gold Coast.
After 16 years I know that every day I am here I feel a little more of an alien.

DigitalGhost Jan 23rd 2020 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12794597)
All my family and almost all my friends are in the UK. TBH when I stop work I will have nothing to keep me here. I don't own property, live in a tatty rented flat, rarely go out and HATE the climate, which is slowly killing me. I'd rather get old(er) watching the waves on pebbly Brighton beach than sandy Gold Coast.
After 16 years I know that every day I am here I feel a little more of an alien.

That all makes sense. For all of its faults, the UK definitely has its own unique charm and especially if you still have family and friends back at home. The climate in Australia must be unbearable at times too, not to mention the insects.

Thereandback Jan 23rd 2020 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12794597)

The feeling of isolation is horrible and I feel for you. I moved back to the UK for the same reason. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out as I hoped. Family are very independent and we only really catch up at Christmas and I had more friends in Australia. I find it really hard to make friends here as people are really clicky and I have moved around a lot. Nobody likes an outsider.
I love England for its ease of travel to other countries and I will miss popping over to Europe for short breaks. I'm not going to miss the traffic though πŸ˜‚
My girls have made a good life in the UK and have some really good friends from school and Uni. The middle one is staying here as she feels employment opportunities are better for her here. Both countries are great it's just a matter of which one fits best.