Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Congestion charges for Manchester

Congestion charges for Manchester

Old Jan 27th 2007, 11:47 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Congestion charges for Manchester

We live in Oldham and according to our local paper I will have to pay £6.00 in charges to visit the local Asda
All the access roads - 15 of them - will incur the charge.
My job is visiting Primary Schools all over Oldham and most are in the congestion ring.
So.... £6.00 daily charge, £120 car tax, £100 a month council tax

WHAT IS LEFT FOR ME

Nowt.
J x
Old Jan 27th 2007, 5:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Congestion charges for Manchester

"New Labour: screwing you gently, one £ at a time".
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:58 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Congestion charges for Manchester

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
We live in Oldham and according to our local paper I will have to pay £6.00 in charges to visit the local Asda
My job is visiting Primary Schools all over Oldham and most are in the congestion ring.

WHAT IS LEFT FOR ME

Nowt.
J x

looks like we got our just in time

we lived near the trafford centre horrendous traffic every weekend
Old Jan 27th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT IS LEFT FOR ME

Nowt.
J x

We're in Failsworth and both of us have to drive to work as public transport is not an option we have.

So, £6 x 5 days = £ 30 x 4 weeks = £120 x 2 of us = £240 a month

or, £2,880 a year extra ( less a little for holidays ) in this household to just get to friggin' work ! It's an absolute disgrace and I'm hoping we get the hell out before it comes in. I wonder if the arseholes who came up with this brtight idea will have to pay it themselves out of their own pockets ? I bloody doubt it.

Mr Angry.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light

That is an absolute joke!!

We're from Oldham, moved over here in Oct last year, glad we got out when we did!! £120/£240 p/m is a huge amount of money to shell out for the privelidge of going to work everyday!!

It would make a bit more sense if they could provide enough public transport for the amount of people who need to get into the city, but it doesn't even come close to supporting all of the workers who need to travel there!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 6:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

WHAT IS LEFT FOR ME

Nowt.
J x
Bit of a way off yet,only a proposal and dependant on a billion pound government grant.

"Plans to introduce a congestion charge on the main routes into Manchester city centre have moved a step closer.
Council leaders from the 10 Greater Manchester authorities met on Friday and backed the report proposing a charge for motorists by 2012.

Its introduction depends on a bid for £1bn of government funds to improve public transport in the region"

BBC Manchester
Old Jan 28th 2007, 6:29 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Congestion charges for Manchester

I suppose it's easier for the government to tax the punters than to address the real problem: the quality of infrastructure. Congestion is most often the result of poor civic planning and inadequate road systems - and for the proof of this maxim, look no further than the A-Z mapbook for your county, city or town.

If the government has £1 billion to throw around, it should consider spending some of it on the hopelessly clogged ribbons of tarmac currently strangling cities like Birmingham, where we enjoy such hilarious innovations as traffic lights positioned at the exits of roundabouts (resulting in immediate gridlock whenever the lights turn red, and thereby defeating the purpose of the roundabout). The pitiful width of UK suburban roads beggars belief; apparently the government assumes that we're all still driving around in hansom cabs, or riding horses in single file.

Where traffic cannot flow properly, congestion will increase. Improve the roads, and you improve the flow.

Of course, this won't work in every case, since the UK is a tiny little island with too many cars in it - and for some cities there is no hope of redemption (London springs to mind) but it's a step in the right direction and makes a lot more sense than a double-tax on the roads.

I would also advocate improving public transport to reduce the number of car commuters - but we all know that's never going to happen.

It's frustrating to know that only 31 miles away, there's a modern, efficient, affordable public transport system which we cannot use for everyday commuting because it is owned by another country.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I suppose it's easier for the government to tax the punters than to address the real problem: the quality of infrastructure. Congestion is most often the result of poor civic planning and inadequate road systems - and for the proof of this maxim, look no further than the A-Z mapbook for your county, city or town.

The pitiful width of UK suburban roads beggars belief; apparently the government assumes that we're all still driving around in hansom cabs, or riding horses in single file.
The road layout of most British cities predates the car so its no great surprise that the road layouts are not ideal.... and of course the roads are narrow as result. The UK doesn't have millions of hectares of desert it can build into and it also hasn't developed the habit of demolishing any building more than a couple of years old to replace it with something 'better' Those narrow suburban roads usually have someones home at the side of them and they are not generally too keen on seeing their house flattened just so the roads can look more like the M6...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:15 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Congestion charges for Manchester

I knew that would get you going.

Job done.

Still, it's all true though.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I knew that would get you going.

Job done.

Still, it's all true though.
You're easily pleased then..
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:59 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be so bad if it started just outside Manchester city centre but they are having a laugh all the way to the bank at my expense!!
We're 7 miles out!!
Congestion charge to visit Oldham town centre - now that is just plain cruel
J x
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elmtree
We're in Failsworth and both of us have to drive to work as public transport is not an option we have.

So, £6 x 5 days = £ 30 x 4 weeks = £120 x 2 of us = £240 a month

or, £2,880 a year extra ( less a little for holidays ) in this household to just get to friggin' work ! It's an absolute disgrace and I'm hoping we get the hell out before it comes in. I wonder if the arseholes who came up with this brtight idea will have to pay it themselves out of their own pockets ? I bloody doubt it.

Mr Angry.
Hi elmtree where abouts in failsworth are you we live newmoston moved 4 years ago from failsworth now hopefully are next moves to oz wow its a small world
Old Jan 28th 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad city fan
Hi elmtree where abouts in failsworth are you we live newmoston moved 4 years ago from failsworth now hopefully are next moves to oz wow its a small world
Hi MCF,

Willow Park. Not far from the Willow Tavern.

Where did you live in FW ?

We are hopefully heading for Perth.

What about you ?
Old Jan 28th 2007, 6:49 pm
hand me a stubby

silver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nice

not sure if it true or not but i heard the main income will come from all the man utd fans as they travel from all over the uk to home matches.

i do agree it is a bloody joke and purely aimed at screwing money out of the motorist, london has charged for a few yrs now the public transport is no better and the traffic is just as bad.

how much money do govenments think we have?

as a motorist you pay tax when you buy your car new or 2nd hand
tax on the fuel
road tax
vat on anything you buy for it tyres ect
vat on service and repairs
tax on the insurance you are required to have by law

then there is the mot after 3yrs
a totaly useless test as a none road worthy car can pass an mot as long at it ticks all the right boxes.

then if you die and leave the car to a family member or friend they may have to pay capital gains tax.

as for being a company car driver the inland revenue should change its name to dick turpin & co.

a benefit in kind? really!!!!! i assume gordon brown has never driven a peugot partner van from birmingham to newcastle upon tyne in the middle of summer??thourght not gordy

you have a fuel card yet more tax to pay

now i understand if you get a 60 grand bmw or merc as all expences paid as part of you wages to avoid paying some income tax.
Mr brown would like some of it, but when you are a mobile engineer and you have your own car as your crappy bottom spec , cheap as chips van only has 2 seats and they still hit you for mega tax that sucks.

and breath better now.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:23 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

The more we pay on road charges, tax, petrol etc the more we pay on everything so its all a big con!!! money grabbing baaarrsttooolls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.