Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Comparing health insurance

Comparing health insurance

Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comparing health insurance

Taken hours, trying to see if we can save on the $3600 we pay with medibank private.

Even if you read entire brochures on the subject you still have no idea what they will actually pay for any given procedure/service.

Switiching funds is not supposed to penalise you but you ditch years of loyalty benefits on the same type of policy.

Came down to BUPA, and medibank private again.

Pulling your own fingernails out would be easier.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Comparing health insurance

I found what Medibank pay for to be pretty straight forward.

Although supposedly Bupa are very good too..
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I want out of HBF, but they're like the bleeding mafia...
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Try iselect, I was unhappy with BUPA and the change in July was going to cost us. A friend suggested I get a quote online, after doing this a very nice chap contacted me we discussed options and I changed to health.com

Very very pleased and a huge saving with exactly the same benefits that we had before.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

What are people paying? For average medium cover for a family?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple rain
Try iselect, I was unhappy with BUPA and the change in July was going to cost us. A friend suggested I get a quote online, after doing this a very nice chap contacted me we discussed options and I changed to health.com

Very very pleased and a huge saving with exactly the same benefits that we had before.
Same here, except we were with medibank, who in the fine print specifically EXCLUDE cataract surgery, which is what I need. They also quibble every little thing and annoyingly I have to have a doctor's letter for each prescription on the pill for my daughter who takes it to control her acne rather than for contraception. Explaining it once isn't enough.
Health.com costs less and you retain your benefits from your previous insurer as far a wait lists are concerned.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Taken hours, trying to see if we can save on the $3600 we pay with medibank private.

Even if you read entire brochures on the subject you still have no idea what they will actually pay for any given procedure/service.

Switiching funds is not supposed to penalise you but you ditch years of loyalty benefits on the same type of policy.

Came down to BUPA, and medibank private again.

Pulling your own fingernails out would be easier.
http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/

Try that
Old Jun 28th 2012, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
What are people paying? For average medium cover for a family?
Just paid shy of $4000 for the next year - top cover - in order to avoid loss of rebate.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

OH paid a year's premium up front to avoid getting whacked with a cut in rebate.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
OH paid a year's premium up front to avoid getting whacked with a cut in rebate.
We always pay a year upfront every March - so you can get the whole year at the March price before the annual increases in April. I think it's the same for all funds.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple rain

Thanks for this. Health.com.au is significantly cheaper than my current policy, and also cheaper than my GF's bespoke Doctors only policy.

Brilliant.

S
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Thanks for this. Health.com.au is significantly cheaper than my current policy, and also cheaper than my GF's bespoke Doctors only policy.

Brilliant.

S
Use the Government site I posted earlier and not just iSelect. iSelect will only recommend companies that pay them. They are NOT independent.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
What does cut in rebate mean? I really do not understand healthcare stuff in this country.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What does cut in rebate mean? I really do not understand healthcare stuff in this country.
Tax changes at the end of this month, mean that some people, will be seeing a cut in the Gov rebate that applies to most private health cover. If you can afford to pay the lot in one go now, then you won't see that cut applied this year.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Tax changes at the end of this month, mean that some people, will be seeing a cut in the Gov rebate that applies to most private health cover. If you can afford to pay the lot in one go now, then you won't see that cut applied this year.
My understanding is even more limited than that, what rebate are people referring to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.