Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Games Advice For Travelling Aussies

Wikiposts

Commonwealth Games Advice For Travelling Aussies

Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:04 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commonwealth Games Advice For Travelling Aussies

Latest advice from the government ... don't wear "Australian" colours or carry flags so you won't be targetted by terrorists.

Now, last time I checked it's being held in India ... surely the majority of travelling Aussies will still be distinguishable even for the most clueless?

Am I missing something?

And while we're at it, why do we still have a Commonwealth Games?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 6:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Commonwealth Games Advice For Travelling Aussies

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Latest advice from the government ... don't wear "Australian" colours or carry flags so you won't be targetted by terrorists.

Now, last time I checked it's being held in India ... surely the majority of travelling Aussies will still be distinguishable even for the most clueless?

Am I missing something?
Distinguishable from whom? The Canadians, Brits and Kiwis? Pretty difficult to tell one white nationality from another just by looking. All white people look the same to me.

Because we still have a Commonwealth?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 6:51 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Commonwealth Games Advice For Travelling Aussies

Everyone at the Commonwealth games should wear Burkas then the terrorists won't have anyone to attack
Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:35 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Distinguishable from whom? The Canadians, Brits and Kiwis? Pretty difficult to tell one white nationality from another just by looking. All white people look the same to me.
Funny you should say that....cos when I was in Phuket, the Indian tailors would come up to me with their hands out saying 'G'day mate' - whereas other white folk would get different treatment. I reckon they get good at guessing from what you wear, which must be subtly different.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:46 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Funny you should say that....cos when I was in Phuket, the Indian tailors would come up to me with their hands out saying 'G'day mate' - whereas other white folk would get different treatment. I reckon they get good at guessing from what you wear, which must be subtly different.
Well, yes. My Malay cleaner once asked me how to tell the different nationalities that speak native English apart, so I told her it's down to footwear. Aussies would wear trainers without socks, or more likely thongs, Brits would wear trainers with secret socks, and Americans would wear them with white sports socks half way up their calves.

You could always tell when the marines were in town (even without seeing the dodgy crew cuts). (And the tired-looking hookers.)
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why anyone would wear trainers (known as runners or sneakers in Australia), without socks. I have seen some people do it but if you want horrific blisters that's the best way to achieve it.

The whole thing should be called off, seriously. The Commonwealth games are close to meaningless, as is the Commonwealth in general. A lot of Australian athletes are keen to compete because it is the best chance for some of the lesser competitors to get an international medal whereas they are probably not good enough for an Olympic or world championship medal.

It is not worth it though if it is going to be run under third world conditions and you're not even allowed to cheer or support your nation.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Is the Commonwealth Games still on? I thought they were thinking of canceling them.

Don't know whose Idea it was for India to get the job in the first place, I have only been there once but it will be the last 95% of the place is falling down anyway.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it will all be good and nice to see India on the tellie
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
A lot of Australian athletes are keen to compete because it is the best chance for some of the lesser competitors to get an international medal whereas they are probably not good enough for an Olympic or world championship medal.
Not an Australian thing though. Same goes for the Brits etc. Everyone who competes knows they stand more chance of a medal because of the small amount of countries involved.

Whoever decided Delhi in October was a good move is obviously either stupid or getting a massive backhander from the Indian government.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Question: How many contractors are required to change a light bulb in Delhi?

Answer: 1 Million - 1 to change bulb and rest 999,999 to hold the ceiling...
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Am I missing something?

I heard that on the news yesterday.

"Blend in when in Rome . . " was the mixed-metaphor message being given by the new Minister for Foreign Affairs, K Rudd, on a visit to New Delhi just last week . . . (he's the one in the middle) . . .

kevin discussing security arrangements with his Indian counterparts

Last edited by spartacus; Sep 30th 2010 at 11:17 am.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Question: How many contractors are required to change a light bulb in Delhi?

Answer: 1 Million - 1 to change bulb and rest 999,999 to hold the ceiling...
God, you're so racist!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
God, you're so racist!
......... and to confirm what you just said:

With the Pak-Eng series more or less dusted, the bookies are now betting on which roof will fall next at the CWG ...
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I heard that on the news yesterday.

"Blend in when in Rome . . " was the mixed-metaphor message being given by the new Minister for Foreign Affairs, K Rudd, on a visit to New Delhi just last week . . . (he's the one in the middle) . . .

kevin discussing security arrangements with his Indian counterparts
Mammy!

I can just see the Ruddster blacked-up with his white hair and glasses ...
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:16 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in india for a while it's a mystery why anyone thought it would be a good idea some of Delhi lives in the 21st century but the majority doesnt!

oh and a fun local custom is for someone to chuck cowshit on your shoes and offer to clean it off for a charge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.