Wikiposts

Collective Nouns

Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Collective Nouns

Originally Posted by Burbage
UNless you're writing to a duck.
. . . and he was the owner of said duck.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

This is nonsense up with which I shall not put.

Were you at school before Winnie said those words?

There are no rules in English. Your teachers at school teach rules because that is the easiest way to teach, but even in those days this was a nonsense rule. As is starting a sentence with a conjunction.

The difference between written and spoken language is of course important. Written language has to be understood via what appears on the page, whereas spoken language is embellished by tone of voice, stress, facial expression and body language.

Consider the sentence:

look out

Without punctuation you don't know whether I'm inviting you to look out the window, or warning you that standing by the window is a bad idea. In spoken language this confusion cannot occur.

The Ecole Francaise decided to impose rules on French. As a result French is a dying language.

"We shall never surrender! [to poor grammar]"
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:49 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
"We shall never surrender! [to poor grammar]"
Are you talking on behalf of the French? If so...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Do you mean dialect? I speak with a Nottingham accent and sometimes say "Ay up me duck" as a greeting. Obviously I don't start letter like that.
Exactly. And Aussies who make a dog's brekky of the spoken English language won't necessarily write a business letter like that.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwinow

Exactly. And Aussies who make a dog's brekky of the spoken English language won't necessarily write a business letter like that.
Ok. But I was talking about written language not spoken.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not uncommon to hear the following:

Australia has beaten South Africa in the first test, they bowled magnificently.
I think you'll find that it's quite uncommon to hear that sentence these days
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Australia seems incabable of using plural pronoun substitutes in relation to collective nouns.

Discuss.
Incabable?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Incabable?
So you spotted my deliberate mistake
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

My school didn't really seem to teach grammar. In fact I'll learn more about English grammar in French lessons when the teacher would yell IT'S THE SAME AS IN ENGLISH and we'd say 'we don't know what it is English either'

Then there would be a quick grammar lesson.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
My school didn't really seem to teach grammar. In fact I'll learn more about English grammar in French lessons when the teacher would yell IT'S THE SAME AS IN ENGLISH and we'd say 'we don't know what it is English either'

Then there would be a quick grammar lesson.
Hmmm - are you still taking the lessons? Just that your tense seems to slip a little.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:16 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hmmm - are you still taking the lessons? Just that your tense seems to slip a little.
It's the same as French.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sasbear
Nope - i'm taking lessons in Australian
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

What's that?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:16 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Simple - you need only know four different words just rearrange them to suit the situation:

'eh'
'yeah'
'no'
'good'

and remember every sentence ends "." (pronounced like the English "but")
Lets try it:

Q: "How are you today?"
Correct response: "Yeah, no good but"

Q: "This is a rather nice bottle of wine dont you agree?"
Correct response: "yeah - good eh!" (use of "but" optional in this case)

Q: "Is there anything worth watching on tv tonight?"
Correct response: : "eh??"

Q: "I see Australia are sucking at cricket lately, do you have any opinions on the topic?"
Correct Reponse:" yeah eh... no good..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.