Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Collections for staff members - should they be voluntary or not?

Wikiposts

Collections for staff members - should they be voluntary or not?

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Collections for staff members - should they be voluntary or not?

We have a pretty high turnover of staff in our agency at present, lots of staff on interchange programmes from other departments, comings and goings every couple of weeks. And they almost always involve collections, meet-ups for drinks, cards,speeches etc. Till now its been what I'm used to, personal choice as to whether you donate, get involved etc.
Yesterday a card came round for a senior guy I don't work with, don't even know, and theres a note on the envelope - 'All staff to contribute minimum $5'
Flipping cheek! I refused cos I don't think thats right, I think it should be personal choice what you give, if anything, but maybe its normal in some workplaces?
At this rate it could become an expensive place to work!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Collections for staff members - should they be voluntary or not?

100% voluntary,
Preferably not at all...

The girls at work want to take me out to dinner coz I'm leaving... I'm NOT happy I'm leaving... They obviously ARE... Hence they want to celebrate...
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We have a pretty high turnover of staff in our agency at present, lots of staff on interchange programmes from other departments, comings and goings every couple of weeks. And they almost always involve collections, meet-ups for drinks, cards,speeches etc. Till now its been what I'm used to, personal choice as to whether you donate, get involved etc.
Yesterday a card came round for a senior guy I don't work with, don't even know, and theres a note on the envelope - 'All staff to contribute minimum $5'
Flipping cheek! I refused cos I don't think thats right, I think it should be personal choice what you give, if anything, but maybe its normal in some workplaces?

Totally agree, since when did an office collection become mandatory, what are they going to do if you don't put in ? Sack you ? Then there would be an office collection for you maybe
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:08 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007

The girls at work want to take me out to dinner coz I'm leaving... I'm NOT happy I'm leaving... They obviously ARE... Hence they want to celebrate...

Damn them for wanting to do something nice for you. Damn them all I say.

I'd go. If you don't get a job it could be the last nice meal for a while.

And no, OP, I don't give donations if I don't know the person. Aus is a bit like that I've found... donate here... it's compulsory. Oh and by the way you have to take all your holidays at Christmas because we say so.... er... Is that legal?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Voluntary all the way.
I wouldn't give to someone I didn't know & being instructed on how much to give is outrageous.

100% voluntary,
Preferably not at all...

What an odd interpretation. I would think they just want to do something nice for you.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Damn them for wanting to do something nice for you. Damn them all I say.

I'd go. If you don't get a job it could be the last nice meal for a while.

And no, OP, I don't give donations if I don't know the person. Aus is a bit like that I've found... donate here... it's compulsory. Oh and by the way you have to take all your holidays at Christmas because we say so.... er... Is that legal?

It'll be bloody excellent night out, I'm really looking forward to it.... and the fact its come from the floor, not been organised by the 'top' speaks volumes...

It'll be great to go out for a few beers with some girls I have grown to love as their mate and not as their boss.... not that I'm very good at the being a boss like person
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Voluntary all the way.
I wouldn't give to someone I didn't know & being instructed on how much to give is outrageous.

What an odd interpretation. I would think they just want to do something nice for you.
Considering how some of them have been behaving, I'd say it depends on which girls it is who want to take her out.

Definitely voluntary contribution and if someone is only on interchange/secondment for a few weeks or so then definitely nothing. I think you have to put in for at least a year before someone decides you're worthy of a leaving gift.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Voluntary all the way.

sorry.... sense of humour.... Trying to keep that going.... coz I AM tied up in knots about leaving a secure well paid job for a life as a casual

And yes there will be some 'gaps' in those attending.... They WILL be attending an alternative celebratory night... complete with cauldrons...
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

sorry.... sense of humour.... Trying to keep that going.... coz I AM tied up in knots about leaving a secure well paid job for a life as a casual

And yes there will be some 'gaps' in those attending.... They WILL be attending an alternative celebratory night... complete with cauldrons...
Sorry, hard to tell!

Any luck with your applications yet?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have casual on the floor in the public still that I never gave up... coz I can work anywhere and TOTAL reassurance from them that I'm loved, wanted and I will have all the work I want thrown at me...
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Voluntary all the way. I think I'd have to tell them to cram it if I were told how much I had to contribute.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:21 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely voluntary. We collect for leaving and for significant birthdays. Most people give $5 but we only have about 40 staff in our school and everyone is very close. If you don't know the person then don't sign the card or donate.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If it was a real charity you might suggest gold coin donation in an email going around..

Outrageous Pollyanna. 'Tis a weird place you work in!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Absolutely voluntary. We collect for leaving and for significant birthdays. Most people give $5 but we only have about 40 staff in our school and everyone is very close. If you don't know the person then don't sign the card or donate.
I did just that today - the girl collecting knows I've contributed before so that made me feel better about saying No, I also didn't sign the card cos I said I don't know the guy and he doesn't know me!! No-one has told me to clear my desk - yet

Bit like charity collections - I give to ones I want to support and object to people rattling tins and trying to make me feel guilty for saying No !
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:25 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how much would be collected if i was to leave BE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.