Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coles Vs Tescos which is best?

Coles Vs Tescos which is best?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:50 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coles Vs Tescos which is best?

Originally Posted by stevenglish
We're lucky, we shopped at Aldi's in the uk too

It's better having ingredients in German, if you don't understand it, it can't hurt you
What about the Co-op?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:51 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

We prefer Aldi both here and UK mainly for basic stuff. My one big complaint is that they do not provide mobility scooters for shoppers which means I cant shop there myself, I have to get OH to do it.
Saying that, sadly, in Aus, unless ANY supermarket is in a big Westfield mall I cant shop there either, as they dont provide them. Unlike UK where every single supermarket I went to whether its Tescos or Waitrose, all have them as standard. Negotiation of the aisles is also far easier in UK. Here you are constantly manouvering around pillars and posts, or badly positioned food displays, and thats without the rude people who pretend you dont exist and constantly walk in front of you as you are moving along. UK shoppers in my experience are far more helpful and courteous to me as a disabled person.

BTW... it wasnt until I had to resort to a scooter that I discovered just how filthy the shelves in Coles and Woolies are!! I am at eye level a lot of the time... bleughhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
agreed - much fresher. They keep much longer.

Or are they just pumped with more chemicals to make them look that way (sorry, couldn't resist )

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
We prefer Aldi both here and UK mainly for basic stuff. My one big complaint is that they do not provide mobility scooters for shoppers which means I cant shop there myself, I have to get OH to do it.
Saying that, sadly, in Aus, unless ANY supermarket is in a big Westfield mall I cant shop there either, as they dont provide them. Unlike UK where every single supermarket I went to whether its Tescos or Waitrose, all have them as standard. Negotiation of the aisles is also far easier in UK. Here you are constantly manouvering around pillars and posts, or badly positioned food displays, and thats without the rude people who pretend you dont exist and constantly walk in front of you as you are moving along. UK shoppers in my experience are far more helpful and courteous to me as a disabled person.

BTW... it wasnt until I had to resort to a scooter that I discovered just how filthy the shelves in Coles and Woolies are!! I am at eye level a lot of the time... bleughhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Now you'd think somewhere like Sydney would have that sort of thing wouldn't you even a lot of shopping centres in Adelaide have mobility scooters, and we're supposed to be 'backward' here

I think the rude people thing is a big city thing more than an Australia thing. I find the Adelaide people pretty friendly, polite and just generally nice people, but then it's a smaller 'town' and people aren't always rushing around here...well not until you hit the city centre anyway. I do hear a lot of interstate people say that Adelaide is the best city in Aus for that though so maybe we just lucked out.

And if it was me, and people were being rude or getting in the way etc I'd just ram them with the scooter
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:27 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Or are they just pumped with more chemicals to make them look that way (sorry, couldn't resist )

Now you'd think somewhere like Sydney would have that sort of thing wouldn't you even a lot of shopping centres in Adelaide have mobility scooters, and we're supposed to be 'backward' here

I think the rude people thing is a big city thing more than an Australia thing. I find the Adelaide people pretty friendly, polite and just generally nice people, but then it's a smaller 'town' and people aren't always rushing around here...well not until you hit the city centre anyway. I do hear a lot of interstate people say that Adelaide is the best city in Aus for that though so maybe we just lucked out.

And if it was me, and people were being rude or getting in the way etc I'd just ram them with the scooter
I used to live in Adelaide but didnt need a scooter then so cant comment.

As i said before, the large shopping malls do have the scooters. Places like Bondi junction, Broadway and Eastgardens, but smaller malls dont have them at all and I am yet to see any supermarket provide them for their own particular shops.

OK.. i will own up, I did once reverse into a couple who trapped me into a corner at the butchers counter whilst they had a snog.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:06 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

Dairymilk04 that's because you picked a backward state to live in. I can get alcohol in a supermarket 24 hrs a day. Remeber every state has very different laws.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sprintman
I can get alcohol in a supermarket 24 hrs a day. Remeber every state has very different laws.
Where?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I used to live in Adelaide but didnt need a scooter then so cant comment.

As i said before, the large shopping malls do have the scooters. Places like Bondi junction, Broadway and Eastgardens, but smaller malls dont have them at all and I am yet to see any supermarket provide them for their own particular shops.

OK.. i will own up, I did once reverse into a couple who trapped me into a corner at the butchers counter whilst they had a snog.

Good on you
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:32 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Dairymilk04 that's because you picked a backward state to live in. I can get alcohol in a supermarket 24 hrs a day. Remeber every state has very different laws.
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Where?
What's the matter Sprintman... question too difficult for you?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
Well, Tesco is a proper supermarket and in the UK. Coles is a poor-excuse-for-a-supermarket and in Australia.

Enough said.
I tried to give you some karma for that but ain't allowed to give you any more <g>. Consider it done.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:27 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
I think they need to widen some of their bloody ailes in Coles and Safeway. They're narrower than a zealot's mind. At least you can walk up and down the ailes in Tesco or Sainsburys without feeling claustrophobic.
Most of the women shopping in Woolworths are fractionally wider than the aisles, anyway. You get quite adept at scuttling along the end of the aisles looking up each one to find one free of a cellulite logjam.....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:08 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stevenglish
To my mind this issue needs addressing, not just sweeping under the carpet
Asda
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Most of the women shopping in Woolworths are fractionally wider than the aisles, anyway. You get quite adept at scuttling along the end of the aisles looking up each one to find one free of a cellulite logjam.....
Go to the Coles in Glenferrie Rd, Malvern (posh part of Melbourne). Loads of women who are slim. 2 to your one!

Go to Coles, Fountain Gate, Melbourne SE - the waist size goes up..
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Go to the Coles in Glenferrie Rd, Malvern (posh part of Melbourne). Loads of women who are slim. 2 to your one!

Go to Coles, Fountain Gate, Melbourne SE - the waist size goes up..
Coles South Yarra - MILF-tastic!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Dairymilk04 will become famous soon enough

OOhh please enlighten me then sprintman? I may live in Qld, aka the backward state as you call it, but i've also been to all the other states and don't remember coming across a supermarket that was open 24hrs a day and also sold alcohol! But if you can let me know where i may have to rethink states
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Generalise much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.