"Coles" is for sale

Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Coles" is for sale

Originally Posted by Bix
Wasn't aware of that Gina. Thanks.

Coles reminds us of Tescoes and is not shite in our opinion.

I like K-Mart too.
Me neither - I quite like coles - I get my helmans mayo from there - what will I do now???
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
KKR were rebuffed, IIRC.

The thought of Tesco or Walmart entering Australia is positively horrific.

I've seen the damage inflicted upon British farmers by the big supermarket chains and I don't want to see it repeated Down Under.

And yet Coles quite happily rips people off left right and centre. We have one of the most expensive Coles in Australia in Katoomba. Why? Because there's a high disposable income from a huge amount of unemployed people there... so they get their Gvt money and Coles takes it off them again. Coles is already inflicting damage on Australian farmers, buying very low and dictating market conditions to farmers, then selling at high cost to consumers... sometimes making 700% profit on fruit and veg.
So when you say you don't want to see it being repeated, it already is. The introduction of Walmart or other large supermarkets within this local area would increase competition and drop prices, something everyone here in this community wants to see.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Womat
If you've got a cool $15 billion to spare, go for it!
Wheres Lord Pom Percy when you need him???
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Speargun
Wheres Lord Pom Percy when you need him???
He's in Coles, doing his shopping...
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:31 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
KKR were rebuffed, IIRC.

The thought of Tesco or Walmart entering Australia is positively horrific.

I've seen the damage inflicted upon British farmers by the big supermarket chains and I don't want to see it repeated Down Under.
Not that old chestnut again Vash...

Personally I'd really like to see Tesco's take Coles over... The duopoly of Woolworths and Coles is far too comfy for my liking and I think Tesco's would give Woolies a good run for their money... With a bit of luck they'd sort the logistics out a bit too so we could have more lines and more choice within them...
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road

The only way to beat these boys is to shop locally and buy locally produced foods from farmers' markets....protest with your wallet.....
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
What makes you think it's not already happening?

I have a sense of déjà vu with this particular topic, Vash. I think we already established that supermarket profiteering is a global issue, Australia included.
Yep. Supermarkets here screw farmers. Happens everywhere. Coles in WA stock very little WA meat, import crap fish from Vietnam and rip-off their customers with high prices.
Walmart or Tesco entering Australia would be a very good thing IMO. Walmart entered the UK market and did not take over. The competition there has been healthy and pushed Tesco to get better.
I hope it happens.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:15 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep. Supermarkets here screw farmers. Happens everywhere. Coles in WA stock very little WA meat, import crap fish from Vietnam and rip-off their customers with high prices.
Walmart or Tesco entering Australia would be a very good thing IMO. Walmart entered the UK market and did not take over. The competition there has been healthy and pushed Tesco to get better.
I hope it happens.
I think Walmart found things a little different to what they expected when they got their hands on Asda... And then they went and complained to the MMC about Tesco's share of the market and that made them no friends at all...
Old Feb 28th 2007, 3:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Mind you, their stores are shite so I really shouldnt have been suprised.
What are you talking about. I guess it depends on what you have in your area. To my mind every supermarket in the world (oh ok, all the one's I have visited ) are crap. They are supermarkets - not supposed to be good.

In our area I would much rather visit one Coles over three or four other places but I don't like going there very much
Old Feb 28th 2007, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
And yet Coles quite happily rips people off left right and centre. We have one of the most expensive Coles in Australia in Katoomba. Why? Because there's a high disposable income from a huge amount of unemployed people there... so they get their Gvt money and Coles takes it off them again. Coles is already inflicting damage on Australian farmers, buying very low and dictating market conditions to farmers, then selling at high cost to consumers... sometimes making 700% profit on fruit and veg.
So when you say you don't want to see it being repeated, it already is. The introduction of Walmart or other large supermarkets within this local area would increase competition and drop prices, something everyone here in this community wants to see.
Well said.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Originally Posted by rodders39
Not that old chestnut again Vash...

Personally I'd really like to see Tesco's take Coles over... The duopoly of Woolworths and Coles is far too comfy for my liking and I think Tesco's would give Woolies a good run for their money... With a bit of luck they'd sort the logistics out a bit too so we could have more lines and more choice within them...
Another trend that is limiting the variety factor is the introduction and mass invasion of the Select brand at Woolthworths and the You'll Love Coles () line at Coles of recent times, they've always had a line of their own brands but these new lines are something else altogether.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 4:35 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom

Indeed. And at least Tesco do have the good manners to pass on better value to the consumers. Coles is shocking value for money, whilst at the same time screwing the farmers - I refuse to shop there.

Also, most of their stores are very badly laid out, and look like Kwik Save back in the 80s.

S
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Indeed. And at least Tesco do have the good manners to pass on better value to the consumers. Coles is shocking value for money, whilst at the same time screwing the farmers - I refuse to shop there.

Also, most of their stores are very badly laid out, and look like Kwik Save back in the 80s.

S

Obviously there must be a different Tescos somewhere that I havent found, because Tescos in the UK doesn't pass on any "value" to the customer. The produce is cr*p, it has had all the taste, and much of the "goodness" bred out of it in the quest for cheapness, not for value, but for profit, and if they havent managed it that way then it has been "nutricianally challenged " in the packageing process. The problem is most people have got so usedto supermarkets that they have forgotten, or indeed have never known what "proper" food is like (and yes I am an old fart! )

But they are convenient! now they have destroyed "the high street" anyway.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=windog;4464009] and yes I am an old fart! [quote]

Can we put that to the membership ? Is this an idea for a poll ?

No, I think not, it would be a monopoly like the supermarkets
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:50 am
Est
Forum Regular

Est is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of light

excellant - lets home adsa or sainsburys move in or in my dreams M & S - then we would have something to celebrate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.