Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coles have reversed their plastic bags decision, will start handing them out again

Coles have reversed their plastic bags decision, will start handing them out again

Old Oct 25th 2018, 7:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coles have reversed their plastic bags decision, will start handing them out

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Or you go to an Aldi where they don't use tokens in their trolleys. I guess Badge is too important to carry a two dollar coin (or one dollar, no idea what size their tokens are).
Our local Aldi trolleys take $1, $2 or tokens. I keep a couple of coins with the bags in my back seat.

Strange how most of the rest of us can manage.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 8:02 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coles have reversed their plastic bags decision, will start handing them out

Hmm, kind of makes me think.

If we are all expected to now bring bags everywhere, and pay for them, why not just change the entire thing?

Specifically, why not have a collapsible trolley that you can take to the supermarket, fill up with stuff as you go round, refill after paying, then put directly in the boot, and take directly from the boot to the cupboard when you get home?

In short, no bags at any point?

In the same vein as the granny trolley, but not with the same negative optics.

Old Oct 25th 2018, 9:44 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

If we are all expected to now bring bags everywhere, and pay for them, why not just change the entire thing?

Specifically, why not have a collapsible trolley that you can take to the supermarket, fill up with stuff as you go round, refill after paying, then put directly in the boot, and take directly from the boot to the cupboard when you get home?

Ha, if you go to the Farmer's Market all the cool people have cool variations of this. You can buy them from the expensive foodie- kitchenware shops. I have been coveting one for a while.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 11:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

Maybe because not all of us have a car or a boot? Putting shopping in bags to carry up here is much easier than pulling one of them up this hill, also the road destroys the wheels, trust me, I did it once with a suitcase.
Nothing wrong with reusable bags; stuff them in my rucksack (which holds half the shopping on the way back) take out and use at the shops. When they don't do the job anymore then use as bin liners.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Any 2 dollar coin would be found and used by the time I'd get to it :-) It's also remembering to fetch it from the car as most of my stops are ones where I am moving fast. Most of the time, I'm only in for a few things anyhow.

I liked using the smaller bags as bin liners as you can get items out of the house and in the wheely bin on a warm day without a huge bin in the kitchen. We've had a smaller bin sized for such bags under the sink for years. Worked for us.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 31st 2018 at 1:36 am.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Any 2 dollar coin would be found and used by the time I'd get to it :-) It's also remembering to fetch it from the car as most of my stops are ones where I am moving fast. Most of the time, I'm only in for a few things anyhow.
Shopping, especially at Aldi v Safeway or Coles, should be seen as a money making exercise rather than spending

Ergo take your time shopping, families can save themselves 80 bucks on their weekly spend..... Not sure how long it takes you to earn 80 bucks take home, but thats what a trip to Aldi for a family can save.... 270 V 190 bucks.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Shopping, especially at Aldi v Safeway or Coles, should be seen as a money making exercise rather than spending

Ergo take your time shopping, families can save themselves 80 bucks on their weekly spend..... Not sure how long it takes you to earn 80 bucks take home, but thats what a trip to Aldi for a family can save.... 270 V 190 bucks.
We go to Aldi and then top up at Safeway/Woolies. Both co-located, so you could almost walk, providing you haven't got your arms full...