Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coles have reversed their plastic bags decision, will start handing them out again

Coles have reversed their plastic bags decision, will start handing them out again

Old Aug 28th 2018, 9:16 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coles have reversed their plastic bags decision, will start handing them out

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And then hang from a tree?
It improves its flavour.

(I don't think I've ever seen that, lol, that's awful! We have loads of dog poo bins around here)
Old Aug 29th 2018, 2:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coles have reversed their plastic bags decision, will start handing them out

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And then hang from a tree?
bit harsh, they've got to go like we all do 😀
Old Oct 15th 2018, 3:45 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Coles have announced their first quarter sales - up 5.1% YoY. That's $9.84bn in total, so near $500m in extra turnover. They are talking about their hawking of little bits of plastic to kids, but you can bet that a significant percentage of that uplift came from them continuing free bags for longer than Woolies and so getting extra customers. Just think how much money they could make if they had continued their policy going forward.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...57f5423fb972de

It's a bigger win than I expected, and really points up how better, more responsive customer service can make a big difference. $2bn over a year for free plastic bags.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 1:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Coles have announced their first quarter sales - up 5.1% YoY. That's $9.84bn in total, so near $500m in extra turnover. They are talking about their hawking of little bits of plastic to kids, but you can bet that a significant percentage of that uplift came from them continuing free bags for longer than Woolies and so getting extra customers. Just think how much money they could make if they had continued their policy going forward.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...57f5423fb972de

It's a bigger win than I expected, and really points up how better, more responsive customer service can make a big difference. $2bn over a year for free plastic bags.
Somehow those bits of plastic became collectable for adults too. They are still selling well on ebay and my bank account is very pleased with them!
Old Oct 15th 2018, 9:59 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Somehow those bits of plastic became collectable for adults too. They are still selling well on ebay and my bank account is very pleased with them!
People are undeniably weird.
They collect small bits of plastic that look like the big, actual real things they put in their trolley.

They put decals on their car to define the precise shape of their family to total strangers, but get worked up about a shop having the same info.

They get obsessed about the love lives of rich 'celebrities', but don't care about actually important things that will affect them, like climate change.

They get worked up that someone that transforms into a snake in a fantasy movie is the 'wrong' ethnicity, as far as they are concerned.
We score people in various ways; by salary, by iQ, by class. We really ought to score them by how level headed and sane they are as well - people should have advance warning that someone is 'away with the fairies'.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 10:23 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
People are undeniably weird.
They collect small bits of plastic that look like the big, actual real things they put in their trolley.

They put decals on their car to define the precise shape of their family to total strangers, but get worked up about a shop having the same info.

They get obsessed about the love lives of rich 'celebrities', but don't care about actually important things that will affect them, like climate change.

They get worked up that someone that transforms into a snake in a fantasy movie is the 'wrong' ethnicity, as far as they are concerned.
We score people in various ways; by salary, by iQ, by class. We really ought to score them by how level headed and sane they are as well - people should have advance warning that someone is 'away with the fairies'.
I agree, people are weird
I have had people from the US and the UK,as well as Australia itself, paying me $20 a go, plus postage, for Coles tatty plastic stuff...... couldn't make it up, could you!
Old Oct 16th 2018, 12:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have had people from the US and the UK,as well as Australia itself, paying me $20 a go, plus postage, for Coles tatty plastic stuff...... couldn't make it up, could you!
I refused to shop at Coles during the period of little plastic bits of crap and we've got so used to not going there we now shop 98% at Aldi and the other 2% at small local businesses.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 12:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Was the same with New World Little Shop items. I gave the things to the family next door in case their lad might wish to do swaps at school. It was his Mum told me they were fetching $.

These were cardboard things.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle in Aldi as I forget bags and the disc to free up a trolley. Always forget. Always.

Luckily, i have developed the circus skills of a juggler and can carry 20 items in 2 hands and offload and pick back up quickly from the belt under pressure just long enough to get it all back to the car without leaving a trail of items...he he

it also helps grabbing a cardboard box off the shelving to use as a makeshift container. Seems to be the specialty of Dads.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 9:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I struggle in Aldi as I forget bags and the disc to free up a trolley. Always forget. Always.

Luckily, i have developed the circus skills of a juggler and can carry 20 items in 2 hands and offload and pick back up quickly from the belt under pressure just long enough to get it all back to the car without leaving a trail of items...he he

it also helps grabbing a cardboard box off the shelving to use as a makeshift container. Seems to be the specialty of Dads.
No token for trolleys at my Aldi and no boxes either. Weirdly women manage. Strange world.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 1:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily, i have developed the circus skills of a juggler and can carry 20 items in 2 hands and offload and pick back up quickly from the belt under pressure just long enough to get it all back to the car without leaving a trail of items.
Why wouldn't you just put the items back in the trolley and take it to the car?
Old Oct 24th 2018, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why wouldn't you just put the items back in the trolley and take it to the car?
no disc, no trolley, Ma'am.

it is almost as if I like making it hard. Have never been very good at domestic rituals.

With a trolley you'd have to make the trip back to the shop to return it. I resent managing such trivia.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 1:04 pm
Home and Happy

no disc, no trolley, Ma'am.

it is almost as if I like making it hard. Have never been very good at domestic rituals.

With a trolley you'd have to make the trip back to the shop to return it. I resent managing such trivia.
That/s why you take the kids shopping, they love being in charge of remembering tokens and bags, and returning trolleys.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 7:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That/s why you take the kids shopping, they love being in charge of remembering tokens and bags, and returning trolleys.
Or you go to an Aldi where they don't use tokens in their trolleys. I guess Badge is too important to carry a two dollar coin (or one dollar, no idea what size their tokens are).
Old Oct 25th 2018, 7:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that my wife has started to use the 15c Colesworth 'reusable' bags as bin liners

Total overkill (and pisses me off) but I'm sure we're not the only household doing this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.