Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Cold Calls/Computer Scam Calls

Cold Calls/Computer Scam Calls

Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:23 am
Just Joined

theParkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suspicious phone call about computer

Yup it's a scam - they are going to tell you that your computer is infected with lots of nasty stuff and has lots of problems, they will get you to give them remote access to your computer at which point they will install some fake software that will "confirm" you have lots of problems with your computer, then they will get you to enter your credit card details to pay for some software to fix all the "problems".

When they called me, I kept them talking for about 30 minutes, spoke to several different people listening to them all talking rubbish, and they eventually gave up.

You did right in having nothing to do with it.

I'm still in the UK and had the call a couple of months back - they were calling from India. They told me they were from Microsoft.

Are you in the UK or in Australia?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold Calls/Computer Scam Calls

Threads merged
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

billywetpants will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by theParkie
Yup it's a scam - they are going to tell you that your computer is infected with lots of nasty stuff and has lots of problems, they will get you to give them remote access to your computer at which point they will install some fake software that will "confirm" you have lots of problems with your computer, then they will get you to enter your credit card details to pay for some software to fix all the "problems".

When they called me, I kept them talking for about 30 minutes, spoke to several different people listening to them all talking rubbish, and they eventually gave up.

You did right in having nothing to do with it.

I'm still in the UK and had the call a couple of months back - they were calling from India. They told me they were from Microsoft.

Are you in the UK or in Australia?
They told me they were from Windows rather than microsoft.I'm in Brisbane
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billywetpants
They told me they were from Windows rather than microsoft.I'm in Brisbane
Its still a scam, the last lot I had told me they were from "Öptus Bigpond'.......
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

billywetpants will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its still a scam, the last lot I had told me they were from "Öptus Bigpond'.......
I was fairly confident it was a scam because I couldn't believe windows would bother ringing people up personally, windows is a product rather than a company (I think) and she asked me to turn my computer on which was already on and online.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

"Windows" rang me the other day with the same story... I asked them how I could possibly have a problem with my computer when I didn't even own one ...

They hung on me!
Old Sep 25th 2010, 12:49 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Mugs who fall for these tricks really deserve everything that comes to them.....

I dont really have time to write anymore in this post as I have to send my details to this Nigerian chap. He emailed me saying I'm owed $500bn and just needs my bank details to deposit my wonga!
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LouiseR
"Windows" rang me the other day with the same story... I asked them how I could possibly have a problem with my computer when I didn't even own one ...

They hung on me!
I've started using that one.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

We tried everything to avoid these sort of scam/cold calls, which always seemed to happen when the kids were going to sleep.

In the end I decided to make their lives as miserable as they were making ours so every call I would answer with "hello". If it was someone I wanted to talk to I would then carry on the converstation. If it was a cold call I would simply keep saying "hello" as if I couldn't hear the person at the other end. Even the most persistent lasted only lasted about 15 secs.

They must been cursing Telstra (who obviously sold them the list) for not fixing the fault on our line for so long.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:19 am
Home and Happy

Now I've got a landline I signed up for the Do Not Call register. They are likely to get a mouthful off me shortly as 2 months after signing up I now get more scam and sales phone calls than I did before
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:39 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately the Do Not Call Register does not stop the scammers. They're not the most law abiding people you will find.

On the other hand you can just assume that anyone who cold calls after you've put your name on the Do Not Call register is a scammer . Ever the charities
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

The Do Not Call register should cover you from all cold callers. Raise a complaint with them

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

And here's a link to their warning over the "Microsoft"/"Windows" virus scam

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_312277

Last edited by tartankoala; Sep 26th 2010 at 8:18 am.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:05 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Unfortunately the Do Not Call Register does not stop the scammers. They're not the most law abiding people you will find.

On the other hand you can just assume that anyone who cold calls after you've put your name on the Do Not Call register is a scammer . Ever the charities
Best one I had was the Rural Fire Service - she started explaining who the RFS are, so I told her politely I work for emergency services, and her response was " well you know what a good cause it is then so I'm sure you will be happy to donate plenty of your wages to us" Very funny response - didn't get her a donation though
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
The Do Not Call register should cover you from all cold callers. Raise a complaint with them

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

And here's a link to their warning over the "Microsoft"/"Windows" virus scam

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_312277
If you want to make a complaint to them you need to have the exact name of the company that phoned and preferably the person's name too and a number. We tried that last month for this computer cold calling that was happening after the month's do not call settle in period. Won't take it any further if you can't get those details. And as it's from India, they are good at mumbling the first bit and then scream Windows so you only hear what they want you to!!