Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Coburg and ethnicity

Coburg and ethnicity

Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:21 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coburg and ethnicity

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
On the issue of ethnicity, you can take a walk down my main street, Glenhuntly Road, and listen to:

Russian
Polish
Israeli
Hebrew
Chinese
Vietnamese
German
French
Indian
Italian

There's a fairly large English community around, plenty of Aussies, and many celebs hang around from the TV studios around the corner. I nearly dropped dead when Nick Cave walked into my local cafe
..........but I guess checkmate is the same in any language
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:24 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
..........but I guess checkmate is the same in any language
Mostly

Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:27 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like the middle English chekmat.
I'm betting lot's of people have those in the lounge.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:31 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I quite like the middle English chekmat.
I'm betting lot's of people have those in the lounge.
Damn, I've got a tacky Carpet Call advert banging round my head now

"CALL, CALL, CARPET CALL, THE EXPERTS IN THE TRADE"

Why do they have to shout?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Damn, I've got a tacky Carpet Call advert banging round my head now

"CALL, CALL, CARPET CALL, THE EXPERTS IN THE TRADE"

Why do they have to shout?
Ours are always having bankruptcy sales.
About 158 since I've been here.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:35 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Bix
Ours are always having bankruptcy sales.
About 158 since I've been here.
We have those too...Closing Down Sale, Last Day Today!!!! Again!!!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Are the Danes the best because of the high ownership of percolators - per capita - if you like, or is the beans and prep a factor?
For me it's the fact that 95% of the coffee they drink is black coffee, putting milk in coffee there is considered odd, the coffee is always smooth and has a low acidity(use of percolators) they have the highest coffee consumption per capita in the world but there is no pretentious talk about coffee ala Melbourne where it seems to be considered as a high art form, coffee is a simple beverage that has been about for hundreds of years and no amount of waffle changes that.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

On the issue of ethnicity, you can take a walk down my main street, Glenhuntly Road, and listen to:

Russian
Polish
Israeli
Hebrew
Chinese
Vietnamese
German
French
Indian
Italian

There's a fairly large English community around, plenty of Aussies, and many celebs hang around from the TV studios around the corner. I nearly dropped dead when Nick Cave walked into my local cafe
Sounds like we are neighbors, i live in The Wick as well. Russian and Hebrew are definitely the most common languages heard on the street after English.

So which cafe is your local, we go to Loco a bit along with everybody else it seems, that place is rammed 7 days a week and must be the envy of all the other cafe's on the strip, the Artful Dodger always seems to do well. I am amazed at just how many cafe's there are on GH road, as soon as one closes down somebody else jumps in, the attrition is very high, i think the shortest one so far lasted about 6 weeks. In the 4 years i have lived here some places have changed hands 4 times.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 6:58 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by papilon
Sounds like we are neighbors, i live in The Wick as well. Russian and Hebrew are definitely the most common languages heard on the street after English.

So which cafe is your local, we go to Loco a bit along with everybody else it seems, that place is rammed 7 days a week and must be the envy of all the other cafe's on the strip, the Artful Dodger always seems to do well. I am amazed at just how many cafe's there are on GH road, as soon as one closes down somebody else jumps in, the attrition is very high, i think the shortest one so far lasted about 6 weeks. In the 4 years i have lived here some places have changed hands 4 times.
I pick up a morning coffee on the way to work from Artful Dodger, sometimes from Saloop in Gardenvale. When in Glenhuntley Road I go either to Artful Dodger or Rocleys but the cakes at the Elwod Patisserie take me down to Turtle corner a bit too
Old Nov 5th 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie, your friend deserves to have crap coffee- the Nespresso machine makes horrible expensive coffee even when it works. Chuck it away and get a cafetiere (plunger, as they say here)- don't waste money on an expensive machine. If she likes cappucinos then get a little milk frother, but unless you have serious dosh to waste, and a lot of spare time too, don't bother with machines that are fiddly to operate and clean, unreliable and take up space on the kitchen bench.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I pick up a morning coffee on the way to work from Artful Dodger, sometimes from Saloop in Gardenvale. When in Glenhuntley Road I go either to Artful Dodger or Rocleys but the cakes at the Elwod Patisserie take me down to Turtle corner a bit too
If we are talking cakes then there is only one option, AVIV, nobody does cake like eastern european jews
Old Nov 6th 2011, 5:11 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by papilon
If we are talking cakes then there is only one option, AVIV, nobody does cake like eastern european jews
AVIV does excellent cakes, but their coffee tastes like crap. Elwood Patisserie does excellent cakes, their coffee isn't great but is passable, and they do great bread and pastries too

Also I work Monday to Friday and Saturday morning, and can't be bothered with shops that don't open on Shabbat. Glicks, AVIV, and the whole of Ripponlea have lost my trade
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Eddie, your friend deserves to have crap coffee- the Nespresso machine makes horrible expensive coffee even when it works. Chuck it away and get a cafetiere (plunger, as they say here)- don't waste money on an expensive machine. If she likes cappucinos then get a little milk frother, but unless you have serious dosh to waste, and a lot of spare time too, don't bother with machines that are fiddly to operate and clean, unreliable and take up space on the kitchen bench.
I use a cafetiere and have been looking for some way to froth the milk with steam. Any recommendations for a seperate steam frother as the only one I have seen is one by Krups that gets poor reviews?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
wOW... That sounds like bitter personal experience, i'll take your advice... I have plungers and drip feeds..

I Suppose a free coffee after a hard days shopping in david jones always tastes good... No matter what ....
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

AVIV does excellent cakes, but their coffee tastes like crap. Elwood Patisserie does excellent cakes, their coffee isn't great but is passable, and they do great bread and pastries too

Also I work Monday to Friday and Saturday morning, and can't be bothered with shops that don't open on Shabbat. Glicks, AVIV, and the whole of Ripponlea have lost my trade
Yeah Aviv is deff a take away joint unless you like hanging out with the blue rinse crowd, and i only buy there cakes and bagels. By the way, Aviv doesn't close for shabbat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.