Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

clothes shopping in sydney

clothes shopping in sydney

Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

JackSoCool will become famous soon enough
Default clothes shopping in sydney

friend of mine said the choice is quite limited (just read the thread about missing tk maxx, me too) is this a good excuse to stock up on clothes before I leave for sydney in a week?? Not sure what to bring, office dress code smart casual I guess, any suggestions?

Sally
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:49 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: clothes shopping in sydney

Originally Posted by JackSoCool
friend of mine said the choice is quite limited (just read the thread about missing tk maxx, me too) is this a good excuse to stock up on clothes before I leave for sydney in a week?? Not sure what to bring, office dress code smart casual I guess, any suggestions?

Sally

It is quite limited and some clothes imo are not as well made as they are here.
Take a look at these websites:

http://www.target.com.au/html/homepage/home.htm
http://www.kmart.com.au/
http://www.myer.com.au/default.asp?fl=true
Can't help with the dress code though, sorry
J x
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:13 pm

Ruby slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
It is quite limited and some clothes imo are not as well made as they are here.
Take a look at these websites:

http://www.target.com.au/html/homepage/home.htm
http://www.kmart.com.au/
http://www.myer.com.au/default.asp?fl=true
Can't help with the dress code though, sorry
J x
My sister always stocks up on M&S underwear when she comes back here. Don't suppose you could turn up to work just in that tho!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:24 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby slippers
My sister always stocks up on M&S underwear when she comes back here. Don't suppose you could turn up to work just in that tho!
Depends how hot it is
J x
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you are used to and whether you intend to keep up your 'UK-ness' in a way...There is stuff to buy here (Office wear / casual / etc etc) but it may not be what you are used to.

I'd recommend you bring over some stuff with you to last you a year while you integrate and see what everyone else is wearing...(and where they buy it from...)
Old Aug 11th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I actually prefer the clothes here, but then again I'm not exactly the height of fashion and I hate cheap, chainstore, stuff that's designed only to last a couple of months.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 11:20 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackSoCool

Sally
In the UK my main 'hobby' was clothes shopping - sad but true! I wasnt into all the designer gear but loved bargain hunting and getting good quality gear cheap. Sadly that is something that I find to be lacking in NSW (for me anyway). I tend not to bother looking at prices so much these days and just be thankful if I find something that I actually like. I spend very little time clothes shopping now and I miss that sooooo much.

Thankfully though I do spend more time at the beach though!! (well in the summer anyway!).

I dont think I would stock up on things before I came (which I didnt) if I had my time again because I like to buy new things regularly and get bored with my clothes very quickly (my Aussie mate doesnt get this at all - shes still got things from 20+ years ago in her wardrobe!)

Dont really know what else to say - apart from the fact that I miss shopping!!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
my Aussie mate doesnt get this at all - shes still got things from 20+ years ago in her wardrobe!
If you friend still wears these 20+ year old clothes, they must be of really good quality to have lasted this long. May be you should ask her where she got her stuff from and share with us the info?

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:27 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
If you friend still wears these 20+ year old clothes, they must be of really good quality to have lasted this long. May be you should ask her where she got her stuff from and share with us the info?

Mrs JTL
The majority she doesnt wear - but the stuff she does wear isnt necessarily good quality. She isnt 'into' shopping/fashion. Doesnt get it at all and is just happy in her fleece and jeans
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:59 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

I like undercoverwear clothes have a few of their things as they are reasonably priced and good quality and also go from size 6 to 26 so even though i am big i can still buy nice stuff.

Poshrice