Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Which class are you travelling in to Australia?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Which class are you travelling in to Australia?
First
2.17%
Business
15.22%
Premium Economy
2.17%
Economy
80.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Which class are you travelling in to Australia?

Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:30 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which class are you travelling in to Australia?

Economy unless those 6 numbers come out tonight

Loz x
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:50 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Which class are you travelling in to Australia?

£10-Pom class.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Which class are you travelling in to Australia?

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
We are not that bothered about the financial aspect because between accepting an offer on our house and exchanging there was a 13 cent increase in the exchange rate which gave us an increased profit of almost $11,000. The way we see it is that this little "bonus" pays for the business class flights and comes from money that we just didn't plan on having. When we get to Australia, the "bonus" that will be transferred to our ANZ account will effectively cancel out the UK based cost of the tickets.

You only live once I reckon and doubt that I will get a chance to fly in business again, so this was the ideal time for us to do it. Also, I think my wife is going to be quite upset and I'm hoping that being in business (maybe naively) will make the wrench of leaving that little bit more bearable.
I dont blame you. People will always have a view or opinion.
Our recent reccie to Perth cost around £7500.00 (not taking into account my lost earnings being self employed).
I had the usual "its alright for some" comments but what they forget is I nearly died in 2004 and I have had 3 x 4 day holiday breaks in the U.K since 2003 ( I took 3 years holiday in one go with Oz )
When I think about it I think what I could have put that money towards (I have 2 oldish cars and a knackered wife ).
Life is too short and if its your thing do it and forget what everyone else thinks .

Last edited by halcyon 52; Jun 7th 2006 at 10:30 am.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:38 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Hitching a ride on a Soviet vintage Russian freight plane, where the wings are held together with string and superglue .The pilot wears a parachute and its stopping over in Iraq and Afghanistan on the way.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:45 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Any flight over 5 hours is worth paying business class for, IMO.

Had to book flights to South Africa at the very last minute on the day of the Tsunami (we were due to go to the Maldives that night for our honeymoon) Got business going out to Cape Town but only had economy coming back. We were then stuck in the middle two of the middle four for 12 hours and it was horrendous. Hubbie is 6'3 and could just about get his legs in. The people on either end went to sleep so anytime we wanted anything or the loo we woke them up. Not pleasant at all and never again!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dotnron
You left out "baggage". We can't afford 4 tickets in economy, so we're using our 40 kg each to bring the kids. I think the hold is pressurized; right?
Steer clear of the undercarriage bay option for the children though: it's only normally used Africa - Europe. The meal is dreadful and it's very noisy.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:11 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we thought about it - but with 40kg per person for economy, but no extra in business - ie you got LESS at 30kg, was another reason why why ended up in economy.

I have flown biz before and you can come off a long flight refreshed, but as we were not pushed for time we could get over the jet lag in a posh hotel upon arrival.

The first leg the plane was very empty - I had 3 seats to lie down on (got some good sleep ), OH 4 seats but armrest would not go up and he looked after bubs in skycot