Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Which class are you travelling in to Australia?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Which class are you travelling in to Australia?
First
2.17%
Business
15.22%
Premium Economy
2.17%
Economy
80.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Which class are you travelling in to Australia?

Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which class are you travelling in to Australia? (with a poll)

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
I'm not implying anything - I simply asked a relevent question which you have answered. I'm sure you weren't showing off - it is you who said that. We considered Business class but we felt it was a waste of money. We flew Emirates so the Economy Class is excellent. With the money we saved we bought a car (an old one admittedly) but my job comes with a company car so we now have two cars for the price of one.
This is precisely it.... Fly business as long as you don't then regret the money spent a few weeks down the track.
We've been here a couple of months I think and I hardly remember the flight as we've done so much in between all that.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which class are you travelling in to Australia?

Originally Posted by pioneer
Cattle class - economy.
Sharon
the same unless we win that 10 million on the lottery
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:08 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which class are you travelling in to Australia? (with a poll)

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
I'm not implying anything - I simply asked a relevent question which you have answered. I'm sure you weren't showing off - it is you who said that. We considered Business class but we felt it was a waste of money. We flew Emirates so the Economy Class is excellent. With the money we saved we bought a car (an old one admittedly) but my job comes with a company car so we now have two cars for the price of one.
Fair enough. Apologies if I jumped the gun....
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

we flew business class with cathay as a goodbye to the world of earning a wage (and hello to poor studentdom and 2 minute noodles!)

about 4 days before i was due to leave I was struck down with the dreaded lurgy (aka a does of full blown flu) and spent my entire flight shaking, shivering sweating and coughing.

thank the good l-rd himself that i had an almost flat seat to lay on and stewardy people checking i was ok. I think doing a flight like that back in cattle probably would have been the end of me - as it was it took me 3 weeks to fully recover (and get my hearing back!)

OH has declared (ahem!) that once studies have been completed and jobs have been gotten that it will be business class all the way from then on....... Knowing my luck I'll be left in the back with the chickens!!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:21 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
we flew business class with cathay as a goodbye to the world of earning a wage (and hello to poor studentdom and 2 minute noodles!)

about 4 days before i was due to leave I was struck down with the dreaded lurgy (aka a does of full blown flu) and spent my entire flight shaking, shivering sweating and coughing.

thank the good l-rd himself that i had an almost flat seat to lay on and stewardy people checking i was ok. I think doing a flight like that back in cattle probably would have been the end of me - as it was it took me 3 weeks to fully recover (and get my hearing back!)

OH has declared (ahem!) that once studies have been completed and jobs have been gotten that it will be business class all the way from then on....... Knowing my luck I'll be left in the back with the chickens!!

We're going business with Cathay on the 13th July. Were the business lounges at LHR and HKG any good? I think that Changi has taken the top-spot this year with HKG in second.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

they were both great

we were only in london one for a couple of hours, and I think i remember it being quite "interesting" to find... but there was building work going on (in the terminal not the lounge) so everything was a bit muddled!

The LHR lounge was good, plenty of fresh food and drinks, free internet access, plenty of tv's. I'm fairly sure there were showers but we didn't need them!

I think there's two (fairly identical?!?) lounges at HKG, the one we were in was HUGE! First stop was the showers.... brilliant! plenty of stuff in them and they were exceptionally clean. good towels as well!!!

also plenty of food and a staffed bar. Seating areas were sectioned off into groups of 2-6/8 seats and most blocks of 2 had their own little tv screen (which also called you for your flight!). Didn't see any computers, but I was using my own. free wireless

there's also a noodle bar at the far end of the lounge where they make noodles to order - gorgeous!

I didn't leave the HKG lounge (because of lurgy) but OH did and had a good wander round. the lounge was centrally located and we only had a 5 minute walk to our depature gate!

well worth it
Old Jun 7th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

The way I see it, say its an extra £1000 per person to go business (I've no idea if this is the case as I have never paid for it) you could use that money to have a fab holiday when you get there a few months down the line.

At the end of the day its only 24 hours. That's £40 an hour to get a slightly bigger seat, slightly better food and a better pair of socks. If you have nothing else to spend your money on do it otherwise, don't worry. Flights are never particularly pleasant even in Business (I once got upgraded with Cathay to and from Aus with a stop over both ways in HK). The extra luggage allowance does come in useful tho.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
The way I see it, say its an extra £1000 per person to go business (I've no idea if this is the case as I have never paid for it) you could use that money to have a fab holiday when you get there a few months down the line.

At the end of the day its only 24 hours. That's £40 an hour to get a slightly bigger seat, slightly better food and a better pair of socks. If you have nothing else to spend your money on do it otherwise, don't worry. Flights are never particularly pleasant even in Business (I once got upgraded with Cathay to and from Aus with a stop over both ways in HK). The extra luggage allowance does come in useful tho.

Agreed. We are using the £3k we will save on business class fares for a months travelling when we get to Australia. That is providing my OH doesn't get a job in the mean time.

Hoping to travel from Brisbane down to Adelaide on the train
Old Jun 7th 2006, 3:50 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by sparkley23

We are not that bothered about the financial aspect because between accepting an offer on our house and exchanging there was a 13 cent increase in the exchange rate which gave us an increased profit of almost $11,000. The way we see it is that this little "bonus" pays for the business class flights and comes from money that we just didn't plan on having. When we get to Australia, the "bonus" that will be transferred to our ANZ account will effectively cancel out the UK based cost of the tickets.

You only live once I reckon and doubt that I will get a chance to fly in business again, so this was the ideal time for us to do it. Also, I think my wife is going to be quite upset and I'm hoping that being in business (maybe naively) will make the wrench of leaving that little bit more bearable.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I will Definitely do one way by boat one day !

It's a Major ambition of mine. Mind you the out or Return flight will be Economy.

It's not overly expensive either at 11,500 AUD, for 49 days at sea all meals included 235 bucks per day, well each i guess.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 7th 2006 at 4:07 am.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

I got my flight for £1027 inc tax in january this year!!!

money wasn't an issue so just decided to go for it, and the baggage allowance was tres handy (as being on a temp visa there was no migrants baggage allowance)
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

We're flying Cattle all the way....but we are taking in 6 stops along the way
Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:14 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

We will be stuck in economy with the other lucky ones

But in your case with the increased profit I don't know, I flew business once and I wouldn't mind doing it again

So good on ya for giving yourselves this treat
Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:23 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so envious of those of you travelling Business-class. We were going to splash out and treat ourselves but we just couldn't justify spending so much on the tickets, especially when we'll probably need every penny we have for start-up in Oz. We rather decided to break our journey and stop over in Singapore for 4 nights, and we're treating ourselves to a really nice hotel instead.

Nicky
Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore Airlines in Economy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.