Wikiposts

Citizen Gedge

Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:09 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizen Gedge

Originally Posted by gedge
You're forgetting I have a back up plan.
My other ticket to citizenship will be arriving any day now.
Can't get rid of me that easily.
Congratulations mate...and will be saying the same to you both soon
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:27 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Clippies
Yey, that's so ace! So how long does it all take after that?
Couple of weeks to get letter, then 3-6 months for ceremony!
JAJ has written here before that there should be a ceremony in your council area every month, and to kick up a fuss if it's any longer, but we won't be any rush.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:31 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hevs
We have ours next month. Tell us what they ask then it'll save me having to be arsed looking it up
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm#step4
You get asked what are your responsibilities as a citizen, and what are your rights. Pick the key words out and you'll be alright.

Australian citizens' commitment to Australia
As an Australian citizen, you are a formal member of the Australian community. You make a commitment to Australia and to the values and principles that underpin Australia's democracy and its public institutions.

In turn, you are expected to:

Accept the basic structures and principles of Australian society
Observe the rule of law, tolerance, equality of opportunity, Parliamentary democracy, freedom of speech and religion, English as the national language, and equality of the races and sexes
Acknowledge that expressing your own culture and beliefs means that you also have the responsibility to accept the right of others to express their views and values
Citizens' rights and responsibilities
As an Australian citizen, you will enjoy the same rights as all other Australian citizens:

The right to vote to help elect Australia's governments;
The right to apply for any public office or to nominate for election to Parliament (subject to s44 (i) of the Australian Constitution);
The right to apply for an Australian passport and to leave and re-enter the country without a resident return visa;
The right to seek assistance from Australian diplomatic representatives while overseas;
The right to apply to enlist in the defence forces and for government jobs requiring Australian citizenship; and
The right to register your child (under 25 years of age born overseas) as an Australian citizen by descent.
With citizenship, there are also certain responsibilities expected of all Australians. You will, for example, be required to:

Obey the laws and fulfill your duties as an Australian citizen;
Enrol on the Electoral Register and vote at Federal and State/Territory elections and referenda;
Serve on a jury, if called on;
Defend Australia, should the need arise.
These privileges and responsibilities are subject to the same rights and exemptions as Australian-born citizens.