Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Christmas trees in 32 degrees is just wierd!!!

Christmas trees in 32 degrees is just wierd!!!

Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

sklinky will become famous soon enough
Default Christmas trees in 32 degrees is just wierd!!!

I had a funny moment the other day shopping surrounded by Christmas decorations then walked out into the blazing sunshine and 32 degrees!!
Still trying to get my head around it, but no complaints just a bit strange not freezing to death at Christmas time!!!
We are off to Fraser Isalnd for Christmas, does anyone else have any plans?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas trees in 32 degrees is just wierd!!!

Been here five years and still doesn't feel like xmas. Might do a trip to antartica
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

The one that gets me is walking round the shops to the tune of "Let it snow" or similar
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bridie
The one that gets me is walking round the shops to the tune of "Let it snow" or similar
I also find it odd that the xmas cards are pictures of snowflakes, snowmen etc.

Of course it's Bl**dy freezing in Melbourne today- it almost feels like winter.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:56 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane's main Christmas tree has snow flakes on it...

After six years I still cant feel Christmassy in southern hemisphere. It should be cold, dark, raining, lights flickering over miserable faces, the kerching of cash registers as you search for last minute stocking fillers, drinking hot red wine with a slice of orange thrown in, smell of chestnuts roasting on an open fire, jumpers for goalposts...
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Its the one thing I miss about Europe is the snow and it felt more like Christmas.
Our last European Christmas were -15 and lots of snow(not the UK)!
On New Years day we would take out the sledges with a big flask of hot chocolate for us and the kids.

I love Australia but Christmas just isnt quite the same. Especially last years
44C and I stupidly made a big turkey dinner

Gems
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

We will do a Christmas at home next year, by then nearly 4 years away !!
Wife from Aberdeen guaranteed snow
On Boxing day flying to Darwin for 12 nights Hot Hot Hot
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Don't you know that it is applied psychology? I know when I'm "dripping" I sing every song I can think of with snow in it in the hope I will feel more comfortable. It works - sometimes! Especially when I get into the aircon!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:43 am
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

We've been finding it hard to get our heads around Xmas. To us, it's the wrong time of the year. However, we're not complaining. We wouldn't swap it for a freezing Xmas in Lancashire. It will take time to get used to it, but we will...................eventually!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Hi,

I too am finding it difficult to get into Christmas mode, with the sun shining, it just seems wrong to hear those Christmas carols at the supermarket.

Didn't expect to find it difficult just because of the weather, very strange.

I found some cheesey Christmas cards with Father Christmas in an hawiian shirt on the beach, great for sending back to the UK

A big group of us are going to Albany for Christmas, so I really do have to get a move on with the Christmas shopping.

Have a good one, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

M
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:03 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I found my Aussie xmas cards in the post office,

pictures of koalas roos etc and views of sydney also those funny Aussie father Xmas ones pictures of robins and snow seem so wrong!!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more surprised at all you grown-ups who still have a 'christmassy mode' - I stopped feeling like that when I reached puberty. Call me Ebenezer if you like, but it felt like any other day of the year in the UK and it feels like any other day of the year here.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:10 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm more surprised at all you grown-ups who still have a 'christmassy mode' - I stopped feeling like that when I reached puberty. Call me Ebenezer if you like, but it felt like any other day of the year in the UK and it feels like any other day of the year here.
sorry I'm still a big kid

I like sparky stuff and spending time with family and friends. I also love the whole Christmas atmosphere! sorry I don't think I will ever grow up I love the Christmas story and Christmas carols the whole nine yards.

I love the altruistic mode people go into it warms the cockles of my heart
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I love the altruistic mode people go into it warms the cockles of my heart
Altruistic meaning, in this instance, pissing away money you don't have on presents for people who don't want them?

I think it's the tit-for-tat present giving that I hate most. Such and such a person has bought the missus a bottle of Tweed by Lentheric, so you have to get them a box of Meadow Flowers Essential Bath Oils from Boots.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Altruistic meaning, in this instance, pissing away money you don't have on presents for people who don't want them?

I think it's the tit-for-tat present giving that I hate most. Such and such a person has bought the missus a bottle of Tweed by Lentheric, so you have to get them a box of Meadow Flowers Essential Bath Oils from Boots.
Actually i meant the sort of giving your time for free to the Sally army that sort of altruism!

Those who let it become a commercial enterprise lose a lot of joy!

and have you never looked at a pretty twinkly Christmas tree and felt happy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.