Christmas Giving

Old Dec 2nd 2012, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Giving

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah I can see your point. However its well known at work that I am always available to do the Christmas stuff and WANT to do it - so they know there's no guilt/coercion involved. And the person concerned has offered to do New Year shifts instead so someone else can be off to party.
They've got so many issues with dis-satisfied staff for various reasons that you'd think they would listen to us occasionally
In which case....... Shout louder.....
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently locked in combat with our manager over who is working Christmas. One of the staff rostered on has two small kids (under 8 type small) and has begged and pleaded all year not to work Christmas.
I have no kids and have a roster with 5 days off and nothing to flippin do with the time off but they won't let us swap. I'd gladly give up the time off to do the shifts so she can spend time with the kids.

Really makes me cross, back home we used to shuffle things around on the rosters so people with kids got the maximum time off, here we are begging and grovelling and I still doubt we will win in the end.
The last place the husband worked in the UK, people were banned from putting in for christmas holiday leave until a certain date. Without fail, the husband would put in to have christmas day off because of the girls, he'd do it on the right day and every fricking year he was told he was too late dickhead1 and 2 had already booked it off. They didn't have kids. Each year in March, the roster would be changed and the Husband's watch would get christmas. We were not happy. Wasn't so bad if he was on nights but in five years he had four christmas day shifts and one christmas eve so got home on christmas day knackered and had to go back for night shift.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:22 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The kind of piss-poor management outlined in the few posts above really beggars belief.

I worked in a control room where mimimum staffing level was 40. A few weeks before xmas a form came round asking for your preferences over christmas.

There was a proviso that not all requests could be met but generally there were as many who wanted to work xmas (cos of the money) as wanted it off.

This caused a lot of work for the bloke working out the duties but produced so much good will and moral it was well worth it.

New Years Eve was a different matter as it was all hands to the pump.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

I've only worked 2 Christmas days since arriving in Aus (this will be our 7th) but I work for a nursing agency and in the UK i worked every bloody Christmas when my kids were young.
OH works with people with learning disabilities, one of his clients has never had a family Christmas so he's been invited to ours.... not sure what he'll think of the bickering and bitching though
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We're going to have a very quiet holiday this year. I don't want or need anything and if we do put up a tree it will only be because our daughter wants one. Most years I'm not big on Christmas, but this year I care less than usual.

I am however giving some lucky person (don't know who yet) a chance to work in my job from 31 December for at least 6 months. I'm starting my new job on that day so someone will be getting a job for Christmas. Anybody know anyone in Perth who's looking for a 6 month job with a possibility of extension?
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
I've only worked 2 Christmas days since arriving in Aus (this will be our 7th) but I work for a nursing agency and in the UK i worked every bloody Christmas when my kids were young.
OH works with people with learning disabilities, one of his clients has never had a family Christmas so he's been invited to ours.... not sure what he'll think of the bickering and bitching though
Personally I wouldn't introduce him to the Barbie, not if he hasn't experienced botching and bickering.....

Oh... You mean the botching and bickering in YOUR house
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:51 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We're going to have a very quiet holiday this year. I don't want or need anything and if we do put up a tree it will only be because our daughter wants one. Most years I'm not big on Christmas, but this year I care less than usual.

I am however giving some lucky person (don't know who yet) a chance to work in my job from 31 December for at least 6 months. I'm starting my new job on that day so someone will be getting a job for Christmas. Anybody know anyone in Perth who's looking for a 6 month job with a possibility of extension?
Any chance the job can be moved to Adelaide? Or do you think ROMFT would be up for me working away?

Good luck in the new job Dorothy, not that you will need it
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I can see your point. However its well known at work that I am always available to do the Christmas stuff and WANT to do it - so they know there's no guilt/coercion involved. And the person concerned has offered to do New Year shifts instead so someone else can be off to party.
They've got so many issues with dis-satisfied staff for various reasons that you'd think they would listen to us occasionally
Is your manager working Xmas day?

Swap name tags with your colleague, put on false moustache and glasses, red santa hat and have a card written to say you have lost your voice.....
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing. No friends, no family apart from OH and DD. Going to enjoy having a working kitchen if I can ever get the builders sorted out.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 10:13 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

This will be a strange Christmas - just me and my daughter and the dog. It will be better than the last few years because at least on a very small scale we will be able to do Christmas properly now that I'm single again. However, I was brought up with big family gatherings and I think it will be a tad lonely. I feel more badly for my daughter than I do for myself as it was my choices that have put us in this position.

We'll make the best of it though - I've already promised to do proper Christmas dinner for the dog too - quite frankly the table would be a tad empty without her there I might print some photos of my family and stick them on the other chairs .... is that a good idea or is that lunacy rearing it's ugly head
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 11:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
This will be a strange Christmas - just me and my daughter and the dog. It will be better than the last few years because at least on a very small scale we will be able to do Christmas properly now that I'm single again. However, I was brought up with big family gatherings and I think it will be a tad lonely. I feel more badly for my daughter than I do for myself as it was my choices that have put us in this position.

We'll make the best of it though - I've already promised to do proper Christmas dinner for the dog too - quite frankly the table would be a tad empty without her there I might print some photos of my family and stick them on the other chairs .... is that a good idea or is that lunacy rearing it's ugly head
Lunacy but I'd do it, think of the conversations, it would be brilliant, get them saying stuff they'd never ever say.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:10 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Volunteered to work Christmas Day but looks like I might not have to....

I am also single handedly keeping alive our local post office. I think I might have to remortgage the house considering how much I just spend posting presents back to Mum, Dad and sister back in the mother country.

Note to self: next year plan ahead and send stuff sea mail (unlikely) or order stuff online from the UK and get it sent straight to them. One year I will learn.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:42 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Lunacy but I'd do it, think of the conversations, it would be brilliant, get them saying stuff they'd never ever say.
Excellent thought - there's lots I would get them to say that they ought to have said over the years .... mainly about how wonderful I am and about how wrong they always were in any disputes with me! Marvellous stuff!
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

We are spending the day in MILs retirement village. Last year only about a dozen of the 60+ residents were, the other were with relatives, those remaining had no family. They were all very alert and we had some good and interesting conversations with all of them. The lunch in the communal dining room was such low cost that you wouldn't believe it and we went home without any washing up to do and no mess to clean up. Anyway it was so good last year that we are looking forward to this very much.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
We are spending the day in MILs retirement village. Last year only about a dozen of the 60+ residents were, the other were with relatives, those remaining had no family. They were all very alert and we had some good and interesting conversations with all of them. The lunch in the communal dining room was such low cost that you wouldn't believe it and we went home without any washing up to do and no mess to clean up. Anyway it was so good last year that we are looking forward to this very much.

That's what Christmas is about....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.