Wikiposts

christmas

Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice
Default christmas

can anyone tell me if you celebrate christmas in oz like we do in the uk.
can you get christmas trees, do people put lights up outside there houses etc.
my children love christmas and i think they would miss this special time as a family.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: christmas

Originally Posted by hindon
my children love christmas and i think they would miss this special time as a family.
Don't know much about it yet, but with it being summer most people have barbeques on the beach.

But in some parts of Australia they have xams in July, with all the traditional stuff. I read a post about it just a couple of weeks ago, if I find it I'll post it for you

IMO xmas is a time for sharing with family, as long as there is you and your kids then what does it matter where you are and how you celebrate it. if you want to stay in your house and have a big roast dinner then go for it, Just don't expect any snow Otherwise spend the day on one of the many glorious beaches in Australia.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice

Originally Posted by WendyC
Don't know much about it yet, but with it being summer most people have barbeques on the beach.

But in some parts of Australia they have xams in July, with all the traditional stuff. I read a post about it just a couple of weeks ago, if I find it I'll post it for you

IMO xmas is a time for sharing with family, as long as there is you and your kids then what does it matter where you are and how you celebrate it. if you want to stay in your house and have a big roast dinner then go for it, Just don't expect any snow Otherwise spend the day on one of the many glorious beaches in Australia.
i don't want any snow, just a christmas tree and some decorations would be good.
one of the reasons to come to oz was for the weather, do no way no snow.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

i don't want any snow, just a christmas tree and some decorations would be good.
one of the reasons to come to oz was for the weather, do no way no snow.

You can buy decorations for sure. I'm sure the first year will be a bit weird, lovely hot days instead of rainy miserable cold ones. But hey, you can still have a tree, pressies and the best of company. Plus no driving round to all the inlaws and spending way too much on pressies.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

i think you can have a trad xmas up in the blue mountains in july. i saw it in a travel mag. ipom would no more than me about it.
Mandy
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:36 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

They only difference you will find is it is 30+c not -4c temp. Also alot of schools will not have any mention of Christmas themes as it might upset other religons such as Islam, in the name of political correctness- what a load of codswallop.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 16th 2006 at 8:40 am.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
They only difference you will find is it is 30+c not -4c temp. Also alot of schools will not have any mention of Christmas themes as it might upset other religons such as Islam, in the name of political correctness- what a load of codswallop.

Tell me about it The world is crazy
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Tell me about it The world is crazy
Wait until you get to Australia and then you will really see what crazy is.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 16th 2006 at 8:53 am.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wait until you get to Australia and then you will really see what crazy is.

At last, somewhere I may fit in
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

We spent Chrismtas and New Year in Australia and it felt quite sureal. We didn't notice too many outside decorations around houses, although there were one or two inflatable santas/snowmen. Christmas Eve just like the UK - hyper kids, get them off to bed and then get the pressies set up under the tree. Usual opening of pressies on Christmas morning and then sat outside on deck with breakfast done on the barbie. Rest of day spent on the beach - with santa hats on! Didn't get dressed up at all for dinner - very relaxed. Our 10 yr old had a ball. Wish we could go back this Christmas.

Ann
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Not there yet but I imagine there won't be the usual Christmas celebrations in school (nativity play etc..) because schools break up for the summer hols beginning of December.

Leigh
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:38 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

lots of schools in the uk are the same - along with the no winners 'sports' days and the not making fathers day cards in case any of the kids don't live with their dads.....
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Not there yet but I imagine there won't be the usual Christmas celebrations in school (nativity play etc..) because schools break up for the summer hols beginning of December.

Leigh
My cousin's son's school have a nativity play every year (NSW area).

Ann
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone...

oh i do hope the children/schools do a nativity...even after 8 years and all the stress of organising it..brings a tear to my eye.

if i get my wish ill be there by oct...bad time really, (as a teacher) as schools will be breaking up soon after i arrive...

wont have any family there to share christmas with...wont be looking forward to that...so look out for roast dinners for one if u dont mind..

regards

lolly
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:11 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Where we live, near Melbourne, you gets lots of traditional stuff (trees, decorations, lights, fake snow in shop windows, Santa, raindeer, etc...). There were quite a lot of houses decorated with lights on the outside last year although you have to wait until about 9.30-10.00 to get the full effect because of the late sunset.

Typically Christmas in Melbourne is warm rather than hot (although it has the potential to be hot). Last year it was low 20s for Christmas and 40s for New Year's Eve. A friend of mine who has lived here for the last 10 years said that they have not had a hot Christmas yet. The last 2 years we've done traditional roasts because it hasn't been too hot.

There are some advantages to a warm Christmas, for example, shopping is a much more pleasant experience and the scope for what to do for Christmas parties is much wider.

And finally, now that the weather's turned colder, my wife can't stop singing Christmas carols.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.