Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

children sharing rooms

children sharing rooms

Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children sharing rooms

When my kids were small we only had two bedrooms, so they had to share.

After the second was born, he had a couple of months in our room, then shared. Five years later, when we moved to a bigger house they had inter-connecting rooms - although they chose to have both beds in the same room for a while.

They always got on fine (mostly). It probably helped that they were both boys.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Simple with 3 at those ages its not about what sex they are, its more about sleep.

Which kid screams at night the most, its most likely to wake the others up, if thats going to wake the others up segregate that one.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ianandmel
Hi there,
since it's another 3 years at least till we go we thought we might as well entertain ourselves in the meantime by producing a third baby. We always wanted 3-4 children, and a third one kind of fits in nicely timewise BUT we do not really agree on the space issue.
We have got a three bedroom house, one of the bedrooms being only a bit bigger than a "boxroom". I think it's totally out of question to upgrade and don't want to get into a huge mortgage which may stand in our way when we're set to emigrate. Ian is not too keen on making two of the kiddies share a bedroom.
So, what are your experiences? Are your kids sharing, do they like it, did it take some persuasion to get them to do it?
The options are either our daughter (3yrs at the moment) and son (now 18 months) to share and the baby to have the small room, or one of the older ones to share with the baby.
And fingers crossed we don't get twins!
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Mel

Forgot to mention that they never shared a room before.
I have 3 kids and 2 of them shared a bedroom for a while until we moved to a bigger house. There was never a problem with them sharing..boy and girl..we did a loft conversion before we moved where the boy and girl shared. My third was still in a cot in our bedroom.
The girl was always in the bedroom with her friends, whereas my boy never bothered. They eventually had their own bedrooms when we moved, daughter then was 9 and son 6.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:12 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

i shared with my 2 brothers till i was 14!! my mum and dad had a 2 bedroom council flat but they got a 3 bedroom when i was 14 after years of waiting it was ok when i was little but as i starting developing i had to dress in the bathroom.

I have 2 girls the youngest is still in our room but in the next couple of months i will move her in with her sister, and keep the 3rd room for visitors.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:13 am
Account Closed

graz79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our boys cried when we suggested they could have seperate rooms (3 + 5). So they are in together even though the 2 beds do not really fit in one room.

It also means they have a playroom, which they much prefer
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My girls shared from when the youngest was about 1. They loved it. Only got their own rooms when we moved here - they were 11 and 13 then.

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I would put the three year old and the 18 month old in the same room.Put new baby in the smaller room.Dont over personalise the baby room too much in case you want to change rooms when you find out the sex of the newborn.You will probably end up having the new baby in your room at the start anyway.
Totally agree. At those ages, the sex of the children is irrelevant.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Surely at 3 yrs 18 mths and about ready to fornicate, you could just throw the three of them in one room, and have a very nice office in the other spare, slightly bigger than a box-room room !
Tempting! Will get my tape measure out

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Simple with 3 at those ages its not about what sex they are, its more about sleep.

Which kid screams at night the most, its most likely to wake the others up, if thats going to wake the others up segregate that one.
The sleep issue is one of Ian's main concerns. Our daughter sleeps quite well and long(-ish), but talks in her sleep. Tyler (the younger one) wakes easily and early. Worst case scenario would be that she keeps him up all night and then both get up early.
Ideal scenario would be she troubles his sleep without actually waking him too much and both sleep long in the morning
Well, it's nice to have a dream...

Also I agree on the gender thing, I don't mind boy and girl sharing.

Originally Posted by walaj
... but for now it is the way it is and they enjoy the company and sharing the bed time routine helps them settle down.
That's my argument! Yay! Right now really often we read the bedtime story to both all cuddled up in Sophia's bed and then move Tyler into his room. I'm sure they'd enjoy snuggling up in their own beds in the same room. And apart from the usual fights and not wanting to share they play nicely together most of the time and cuddle a lot. So cute

Well, thanks everyone for all those replies! Think we go and get busy...err... planning things and stuff
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:36 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
This is my 2 lads new room lol.

They wont share with their sister, cos they said aint big enough... true
My lad would have died and think he had gone to heaven with a snooker table in his bedroom.

Is that room part of the house or is it a garage or similar you have changed.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:14 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
My lad would have died and think he had gone to heaven with a snooker table in his bedroom.

Is that room part of the house or is it a garage or similar you have changed.
Second house on the property. We move in next thursday
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Totally agree. At those ages, the sex of the children is irrelevant.
I think boys and girls can, and do share up to a legal age, which might be something like 10-12.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think boys and girls can, and do share up to a legal age, which might be something like 10-12.
...and by then we're hopefully in Australia, have settled in, found jobs and earn enough to afford a kick-ass 4 bedroom house