Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

children sharing rooms

children sharing rooms

Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough
Default children sharing rooms

Hi there,
since it's another 3 years at least till we go we thought we might as well entertain ourselves in the meantime by producing a third baby. We always wanted 3-4 children, and a third one kind of fits in nicely timewise BUT we do not really agree on the space issue.
We have got a three bedroom house, one of the bedrooms being only a bit bigger than a "boxroom". I think it's totally out of question to upgrade and don't want to get into a huge mortgage which may stand in our way when we're set to emigrate. Ian is not too keen on making two of the kiddies share a bedroom.
So, what are your experiences? Are your kids sharing, do they like it, did it take some persuasion to get them to do it?
The options are either our daughter (3yrs at the moment) and son (now 18 months) to share and the baby to have the small room, or one of the older ones to share with the baby.
And fingers crossed we don't get twins!
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Mel

Forgot to mention that they never shared a room before.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:12 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children sharing rooms

Surely at 3 yrs 18 mths and about ready to fornicate, you could just throw the three of them in one room, and have a very nice office in the other spare, slightly bigger than a box-room room !
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

My three have always shared a room, they love the company. (8,6,2)
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ianandmel
Hi there,
since it's another 3 years at least till we go we thought we might as well entertain ourselves in the meantime by producing a third baby. We always wanted 3-4 children, and a third one kind of fits in nicely timewise BUT we do not really agree on the space issue.
We have got a three bedroom house, one of the bedrooms being only a bit bigger than a "boxroom". I think it's totally out of question to upgrade and don't want to get into a huge mortgage which may stand in our way when we're set to emigrate. Ian is not too keen on making two of the kiddies share a bedroom.
So, what are your experiences? Are your kids sharing, do they like it, did it take some persuasion to get them to do it?
The options are either our daughter (3yrs at the moment) and son (now 18 months) to share and the baby to have the small room, or one of the older ones to share with the baby.
And fingers crossed we don't get twins!
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Mel

Forgot to mention that they never shared a room before.

I guess it would depend on the sex of the new baby as to what would work best? When i was pregnant with our son (now 15months old) - although we have a 3 bedroomed house we were using the smallest bedroom as a music/dvd/storage room as such - and as our daughter (5) was in a fairly big room. We did say that if we were having a girl we would perhaps let them share.... As it turned out it was a boy - so we decided to give him the spare room - and all our stuff is now in the loft! Saying that - at the time i was pregnant she did keep asking if it was a girl she didnt want to share her toys/clothes etc etc.... But she was only 3 when she found out - and a lot of 3 year olds aren't particularly good at "sharing"!
My two brothers shared a bedroom - but there was a 10year age gap when the youngest was born. My older brother was not impressed at losing his own space - especially when he entered into the "teenage" years.....
I have friends that shared with their sisters and loved sharing - but they were very close (1 or 2 years) apart in age....
I've probably not helped much have i
Good luck with your decision....and good luck with the new baby!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I would put the three year old and the 18 month old in the same room.Put new baby in the smaller room.Dont over personalise the baby room too much in case you want to change rooms when you find out the sex of the newborn.You will probably end up having the new baby in your room at the start anyway,well at least for the first five minutes.Jeeze when I was younger I shared a bedroom with my five sisters.Kids are lucky these days.x Irishbloo
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:45 pm
Visa Granted 01/07/08

mr.benn is just really nicemr.benn is just really nicemr.benn is just really nicemr.benn is just really nicemr.benn is just really nicemr.benn is just really nicemr.benn is just really nicemr.benn is just really nicemr.benn is just really nice

Our children are 2 boys 9 and 7 and a girl aged 4.

My sons have shared a room since the youngest was 10 months old. At the time I wanted to put them in separate rooms but my husband wanted them to share as it would bring them closer together - plus I don't think he wanted to give up the spare room which was his den. It worked, the two boys are very close and great pals, I have never had any fighting at all and they love the company. They accepted without question when their sister was born that she would have her own room (i.e the den). They have never asked to have their own room or said they don't like sharing.

Now my eldest is 9 so we now stagger bedtime so the younger is a sleep before he goes to bed.

In fact thinking about it I shared a very large bedroom with my younger brother (2 years younger) until I was about 8, he had his side and I had mine - never questioned it.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:20 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

my two boys shared for a short while unfortunately one doesnt sleep and the other really needed his sleep so they had to be separated cue move to bigger house
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

I think mine would have something to say about it - given they are 21 - 18 and 10

They have never shared a room - I honestly don't think they ever could. I haven't seen any of their bedroom floors for years let alone share the space.

I can see the advantages in closer sibling parnterships though - its just that mine would have killed each other!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:11 pm
Queensland Mag

Imreswastedlife will become famous soon enough

Hi,we have 4 boys and we live in a 3 bedroom house we manage, but when we get to oz we want 4 b/rooms, at the Mo number 1 has his own room he's 11, 2 and 3(they are 9 and 5) share a room and have all 4's clothes in there,4 has his little bed in our room he's 2.sharing's never been a problem,but no 1 likes his space now, if he had to share again he would though.generally speaking it nuts in our house but in a good way, hope Oz will be able to cope with us !
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

My boys aged 8 & 10 have always shared a bedroom and the eldest has his own room (he's 16 and NO-ONE would want to share with him at the minute!!) The 2 yr old is still in bed with us and with another due in May we have now run out of space and have had to add on to the house!! (again) and build a much needed 4th bedroom which the 2 little ones will share even though they are Boy/Girl~ either until they are older and need to have their own rooms or maybe the eldest will have moved out in a few years time (no I don't think so either!!!) and then someone can move into his room or we'll have to keep extending or move

Zoe xx

(I know i'll have years of "Oh I NEVER had my own room when I was younger" ...and so on....Poor things having to share...with all the TV's ,playstations,DVDplayers ?& MP3 players at their disposal...all I had was bloody Bunty and Judy annuals !!)
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:25 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 boys and the 2 youngerst share 14 + 12 the oldest is 18 and has his own room, my 2 younger boys hate sharing

They can't wait to have their own rooms over there.

Big brother is not coming so he says.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:23 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

This is my 2 lads new room lol.

They wont share with their sister, cos they said aint big enough... true
Attached Thumbnails children sharing rooms-teenage_retreat.jpg   children sharing rooms-snooker.jpg  
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:42 pm
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

I have 3, 2 girls 24 and 23 and boy 17. The girls always shared up until they were 16 and 17 then moved to bigger house so had own rooms. They loved it together as they had someone to talk to. They wouldn't dream of it now and there would be feathers flying. Son also wanted to go in with them rather than be on his own.

Nicky xx
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of 10 children who grew up in a 3 bedroom house. 5 boys shared one bedroom and 3 of us girls shared another. My oldest 2 sisters had moved out by the time I was born, so I never had to share with them. My brothers' room had 2 sets of bunk beds and 1 fold up roll away bed. The bunks were permanent, but the roll away got folded up every morning so the boys had room to move around a bit. We girls had one set of bunk beds and one single in our room, although before we got the bunk beds the 3 of us shared a double bed.

Kids today are very spoilt expecting to have their own bedrooms. My children (boy and girl) still share a room when we travel and love the company.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:34 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2 share a room (DD 3yrs, DS 17mths). He was in our room for about the first 6mths, then has been sharing with DD. Was in a large room when we were renting, now it is in a small room just big enough to fit the bed, cot, changing table & BIW

I was skeptical at first if it would work, but overall it does.
They will eventually have their own rooms when we rebuild, but for now it is the way it is and they enjoy the company and sharing the bed time routine helps them settle down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.