Chemotherapy

Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chemotherapy

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
My sister isn't hitting out at me at the moment, and I did cut her off for a time while she was so angry, but she is now on antidepressants. Sadly, she is having to do more and more for mum, who was 75 yesterday, but who has COPD and is nearly blind due to a failed cataract op and shingles which affected her one working eye. Poor mum is struggling to breathe at the best of times and sis has to do more and more around the house. I hope that she isn't going to have such a bad experience as she did with dad.

Personal news, I have to have a mammogram on monday, as the doctor found a dense area in my right breast when she was doing my MOT. She doesn't think it is anything as no discrete mass could be felt, but there's always that "what if?" worry. It wasn't tender until she poked it, but now it is a little sore- psychosomatic?
Sorry to hear that you're having to go through this, Caroline. It's human nature to think of the worse possible outcome, even when all the signs are positive, as they are for you. I'll be thinking of you on Monday, do let us know how you get on.

Gawd, your family has been through the wringer in the last few years. Hopefully your sister has learned some coping strategies which will help while she's caring for your Mum. Some time out is so important - what are the home care/respite services like where your Mum lives?

My family is a bit like yours at the mo - as well as my sister's breast cancer, my brother was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx 3 years ago. He has a scar you wouldn't believe, ear to ear! He had chemo and radio, and has been clear for 2 years. He was only 50 when diagnosed.

And, my mad Austrian step-father has lung cancer and is getting palliative treatment. He's 86 and my Mum is 81 - they're both stubborn old coots and it's really hard to get them to accept help. Mum still bakes cakes and biscuits every 3rd day for a women's shelter, takes in any waif or stray and gives them a good feed, and minds the whole street's homes and pets when they go away. That's as well as looking after my step-dad and cooking for 'her chickens' (us kids, not one of us under 45 years old!) She's a wonderful woman
Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
The cancer hospital advised my friend to take it. ( Christies in Manchester ) but of course it's always best to check.
Spouse if you read up on it you will see, it's amazing stuff, not just for people with cancer but also for other diseases and illnesses.
In the shops in Britain you can buy medical grade Manuka, not too sure about here. Medical grade being 20*.
Thanks Molly, I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me about this. My sister, my ex boss (female!) and I are all taking off down south in the morning, for a 3 night break. A lovely Queenslander style house with enormous balconies all around, overlooking the ocean! I'll tell her about the Manuka honey over G&Ts (her oncologist said she's fine to have a couple of drinks). Looking forward to it so much!
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry to hear that you're having to go through this, Caroline. It's human nature to think of the worse possible outcome, even when all the signs are positive, as they are for you. I'll be thinking of you on Monday, do let us know how you get on.

Gawd, your family has been through the wringer in the last few years. Hopefully your sister has learned some coping strategies which will help while she's caring for your Mum. Some time out is so important - what are the home care/respite services like where your Mum lives?

My family is a bit like yours at the mo - as well as my sister's breast cancer, my brother was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx 3 years ago. He has a scar you wouldn't believe, ear to ear! He had chemo and radio, and has been clear for 2 years. He was only 50 when diagnosed.

And, my mad Austrian step-father has lung cancer and is getting palliative treatment. He's 86 and my Mum is 81 - they're both stubborn old coots and it's really hard to get them to accept help. Mum still bakes cakes and biscuits every 3rd day for a women's shelter, takes in any waif or stray and gives them a good feed, and minds the whole street's homes and pets when they go away. That's as well as looking after my step-dad and cooking for 'her chickens' (us kids, not one of us under 45 years old!) She's a wonderful woman
Your mum sounds amazing. My mum is vehemently against any "social services" or carers, calls them Nazis - in fact she has rude notices on her door telling everyone to go away. She said she would hit them with her broom if they dare to show their noses round the door, and she is so OTT that I believe she would too. I don't know how my sister puts up with her- I've had enough after being in the same room for half an hour. Yet she can be so caring towards her elderly neighbours- or was until they died, now she complains that they have a black family next door with their jungle drums. (Yes she is very racist and bigoted.)
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Woolworths sell 20+ manuka honey- about $13 for a small jar.
Wow! How cheap is that!
Hubby's just bought some on Thursday to take back to the UK for my dad, $70 at Singapore Airport.

All women over 50 are entitled to a free mammogram every 2 years. I was sent a brochure from the Govt. when I turned 50. My GP also referred me for this latest one, so I won't have to pay.

As for my sister, I'm used to the ups and (mostly) downs of her life. I'm trying to be sympathetic.....
Personally I think at the latest it should be 40
As breast cancer isn't an age issue as far as I'm aware?

Regarding family, we don't get to choose them unfortunately, there is always one that has to be difficult.

Thanks Molly, I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me about this. My sister, my ex boss (female!) and I are all taking off down south in the morning, for a 3 night break. A lovely Queenslander style house with enormous balconies all around, overlooking the ocean! I'll tell her about the Manuka honey over G&Ts (her oncologist said she's fine to have a couple of drinks). Looking forward to it so much!

No worries, hope you all have a lovely break, it sounds idyllic.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! How cheap is that!
Hubby's just bought some on Thursday to take back to the UK for my dad, $70 at Singapore Airport.

Personally I think at the latest it should be 40
As breast cancer isn't an age issue as far as I'm aware?

Regarding family, we don't get to choose them unfortunately, there is always one that has to be difficult.

I think you can get free screening from 40 not 50 - Screening - How do I arrange a mammogram?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I think you can get free screening from 40 not 50 - Screening - How do I arrange a mammogram?
Thanks for that.

So it looks like I can go and ask for one 40 onwards but they call for you 50 onwards. I think that's a similar set up to the UK.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

So it looks like I can go and ask for one 40 onwards but they call for you 50 onwards. I think that's a similar set up to the UK.
No probs - I had looked it up recently for SA so knew I was good here, just had to check for the rest of the country (good old google )
Old Oct 13th 2014, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

All squished and photographed. Brand new machine with very clear imagery. To my untrained eye there were no obvious lumps or bumps. Going to hang tight for the results now.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

All squished and photographed. Brand new machine with very clear imagery. To my untrained eye there were no obvious lumps or bumps. Going to hang tight for the results now.
Glad it went well. for you.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:54 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Mammograms are not good in pre menopausal women the tissue is too dense.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

I get called yearly for one and I am under 50.We have family history so that may make a difference.It is painful but I'm very glad of the service.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm supporting my sister through chemo (I refuse to be called a 'chemo coach'!) and oh boy, do you learn a lot. I thought I more or less knew what it involved, but as it happens I had no idea.

Huge respect to anyone who's had this treatment, and best wishes to anyone going through it.
Sorry to hear about your sister, have a look at this site with some great information Breast Cancer Choices - Innovative Research and Patient Advocacy

''As iodine consumption has gone down, breast cancer rates have gone up. But the research goes far deeper, exploring the effects of iodine supplementation on breast disease and breast cancer. This important breakthrough has been in the research pipeline for years but only recently found momentum. After sifting through 50 years of iodine research and corresponding with researchers around the world, the editors report that abnormal iodine metabolism, due either to bromide dominance in the environment or a dietary deficiency of iodine, must be addressed as part of a preventive and or a therapeutic strategy.''
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asher
Mammograms are not good in pre menopausal women the tissue is too dense.
Ahh, that explains the reason for being called up later on in life. Thanks asher.

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I get called yearly for one and I am under 50.We have family history so that may make a difference.It is painful but I'm very glad of the service.
Yep, no pain no gain as they say. I think it's a great service. I'm sure it's saved plenty of lives and boobs!
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:21 pm
Concierge

Waiting for results is the hardest time, Caroline. I hope it's not too long before they're in - do you have an appointment booked with your GP or will they just call you if there's a problem?
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:27 pm
Concierge

Thanks Molly, unfortunately it didn't turn out well. My sister woke up early Monday morning with a horrifically high temp - I called an ambulance and she was taken to the regional hospital before being transferred via ambulance to Perth.

Tests have yet to confirm the cause of the fever, her doctors suspect a viral infection but have started her on 2 IV antibiotics as a necessary precaution against a possible bacterial infection. She also has sudden onset of a prominent heart murmur and an abnormally high heart rate. She's not critical, but she's seriously ill.

Thanks for all the lovely comments and suggestions above, really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.