Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Check your Privilege

Check your Privilege

Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Check your Privilege

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Putting to one side the annoying and incorrect use of the phrase in question, do you really not think you are privileged?
Did I luck out by being born into a society which was reasonably safe and where I could go off to school and university for free? Yep.

However that society was itself the result of my ancestors building it in the first place, and they didn't get any legups. And even with that good luck, I still had (and have) to work to survive.

So it's not privilege, it's been earned.

And my chief issue is with the way it's used to denigrate the point of view of anyone white, male, etc. without any actual thought going on. Somehow I'm not allowed to point out some obvious realities BECAUSE of my colour, sex, etc.

I consider that racist, sexist, and all round bigoted by any individual that uses that phrase (particularly since they are often wrong and could do with having it pointed out).
Old Oct 29th 2015, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Did I luck out by being born into a society which was reasonably safe and where I could go off to school and university for free? Yep.

However that society was itself the result of my ancestors building it in the first place, and they didn't get any legups. And even with that good luck, I still had (and have) to work to survive.

So it's not privilege, it's been earned.
Interesting. Are you talking about your own specific individual circumstances here, or do you think that is a general rule for all? Is everyone's current place in society 'earned' due to the acts of ancestors?

And my chief issue is with the way it's used to denigrate the point of view of anyone white, male, etc. without any actual thought going on. Somehow I'm not allowed to point out some obvious realities BECAUSE of my colour, sex, etc.
Well yes, of course, anyone who uses it in that way is ridiculous and incorrect. It does depend on the context somewhat though.

I consider that racist, sexist, and all round bigoted by any individual that uses that phrase (particularly since they are often wrong and could do with having it pointed out).
Poor you. I do hope you manage to cope with that terrible oppression. Its so hard being a white male these days
Old Oct 29th 2015, 6:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Interesting. Are you talking about your own specific individual circumstances here, or do you think that is a general rule for all? Is everyone's current place in society 'earned' due to the acts of ancestors?
Depends on how far you want to go back, doesn't it?

My personal ancestors were lazy, ignorant, a'holes - which is why I've had to work for everything. However my culture, as a whole, were not.

Neither of which facts means it's OK to denigrate me on the basis of bigotry.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how far you want to go back, doesn't it?

My personal ancestors were lazy, ignorant, a'holes - which is why I've had to work for everything. However my culture, as a whole, were not.

Neither of which facts means it's OK to denigrate me on the basis of bigotry.
So what is "everything". I bet you don't have everything. No one does. Not even those who you think have everything.

"Everything" needs a definition. Good luck
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
So what is "everything". I bet you don't have everything. No one does. Not even those who you think have everything.

He said he has had to work for everything; he didn't say he has everything.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 10:18 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by OzTennis
He said he has had to work for everything; he didn't say he has everything.
Reading comprehension :

OzTennis +1
Beoz -1

In this context, everything=anything.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Reading comprehension :

OzTennis +1
Beoz -1

In this context, everything=anything.
Ah the left wing brigade show their true colours again.

Nice of you to redefine "everything" in the same breath. Great back tracking
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the left wing brigade show their true colours again.

Nice of you to redefine "everything" in the same breath. Great back tracking
You misread and then insult when it is pointed out with a wink.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Regardless of whether its everything or anything or whether you started from scratch or not, one should not discriminate where the starting point might be.

Take a look at the Royals. Their efforts towards certain charities or causes which are non profitable, should be commended. They could sit on their arses and do nothing or get out there and do something. They choose to do something. The money they have inherited should never be a source of resentment.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You misread and then insult when it is pointed out with a wink.
No you framed it to suit your own bitchy, bigoted agenda.

Find another thread to destroy.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No you framed it to suit your own bitchy, bigoted agenda.

Find another thread to destroy.
You are doing your best without any help.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are doing your best without any help.
This was kind of turning into an interesting thread before you showed up.

Try adding some value.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My actual view is any of the political ideologies is wrong - because it says the solution to every problem is the same. The right say the 'free' market is always the way. The left say centralised command and control is always the way. Both of them are bloody stupid - right tool, right time, right job.I tend to think everyone should be focused on being good, useful, human beings - which doesn't mean throwing them on the scrap heap to die if you've perverted the system such that they can't get a job. But it also doesn't mean that you sit on your arse all day watching soaps and effectively stealing from those who do do things.
Agreed. We help our weakest but we shoot them when they are beyond help....hmmm...(it's ok I am joking!) so you migrate to Australia - we will help you - but if you turn out to be one of those ***wit migrants then - that's it - you are on your own...
Originally Posted by stevenglish1
I've long said this, anyone with a 'non pc' ie: honest point of view, even if unpalatable, deserves to be heard. For instance, I'm all up for a bit of multiculturalism, but when it's thrust upon people it aint gonna work, doesn't matter how you dress it up. Trouble is most 'tolerant' types fail to tolerate different point of view, and they're so intelligent that this irony is lost on them. Dismissing people as racist, bigot, bogan, ignorant or a combination is lazy and destructive, and sweeps a nations problems under the carpet, I can touch the ceiling without standing on tip toes now. Tolerance is the new black
I find it interesting that the Left derides anything opposite as Right-wing yet aren't they also being Right wing in taking a position that their position is correct, and morally superior? it might be that the Left is traditionally for change, the whole crux of the argument, but you can be ready for change but still be conservative socially.
Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've not encountered this expression, but sadly I am fully aware of the types of people that will be rolling it out. And you are right - this whole Social Justice Warrior thing is growing - you can see it in in the comments sections in news articles.
I've noticed it too : I think it's because i) comments sections give everyone a microphone, an outlet and ii) the GFC, especially in Europe really has seemed to create a bit of a chip on people's shoulder : or it's always been there and social media amplifies it (see point i) I was under the impression that all this consumer choice had liberated people but clearly not.
Regardless of whether its everything or anything or whether you started from scratch or not, one should not discriminate where the starting point might be. Take a look at the Royals. Their efforts towards certain charities or causes which are non profitable, should be commended. They could sit on their arses and do nothing or get out there and do something. They choose to do something. The money they have inherited should never be a source of resentment.
Completely agree- believe it or not a lot of Royals work quite hard.I mean you average Joe is not going to get through a year at Sandhurst yet both Harry and Wills went. They've both worn a uniform where others haven't : sure there was priviledge in action, but they still did it.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agreed. We help our weakest but we shoot them when they are beyond help....hmmm...(it's ok I am joking!) so you migrate to Australia - we will help you - but if you turn out to be one of those ***wit migrants then - that's it - you are on your own...I find it interesting that the Left derides anything opposite as Right-wing yet aren't they also being Right wing in taking a position that their position is correct, and morally superior? it might be that the Left is traditionally for change, the whole crux of the argument, but you can be ready for change but still be conservative socially. I've noticed it too : I think it's because i) comments sections give everyone a microphone, an outlet and ii) the GFC, especially in Europe really has seemed to create a bit of a chip on people's shoulder : or it's always been there and social media amplifies it (see point i) I was under the impression that all this consumer choice had liberated people but clearly not.Completely agree- believe it or not a lot of Royals work quite hard.I mean you average Joe is not going to get through a year at Sandhurst yet both Harry and Wills went. They've both worn a uniform where others haven't : sure there was priviledge in action, but they still did it.
The point is we all start from different beginnings. We can't help where we start from and its discriminatory to form an opinion on someone based on that. Its what we do with our own destiny that counts.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The point is we all start from different beginnings. We can't help where we start from and its discriminatory to form an opinion on someone based on that. Its what we do with our own destiny that counts.
Yes, and I see my punctuation and spelling are shot. Ahem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.