Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

changing uk plugs to australian

changing uk plugs to australian

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: changing uk plugs to australian

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Amazulu;

RCD wont protect from current overload, only earth leakage from Active or Neutral to earth
Sure, but you can get a combined RCD/MCB that does both. In the scenario of overload RCD will not offer protection. I was just trying to point out that a circuit with MCB and RCD is properly protected.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sure, but you can get a combined RCD/MCB that does both. In the scenario of overload RCD will not offer protection. I was just trying to point out that a circuit with MCB and RCD is properly protected.
Of course

I was thinking of JCBs and QNDs. How about, if you're trying to explain something to non techies, cut the shop talk. MCBs LCDs VCDs DVDs,

The brown wire is earth right?

JTL
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

If you are planning on staying in Australia, my advice would be to get all your plugs changed over to Australian Plugs. Insurance companies will use any excuse to get out of paying for a claim so why give them the ammunition in the event of a fire.

Barney
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
3 pin earthed 2 pin unearthed

no they dont have cartridge fuses but to be honest with mcb`s and rcds they are redundant anyway ( typical trip speed of a cartridge fuse is way slower than either the mcb or rcd so in the presence of a fault current the powers off before the cartridge fuses even thinks about blowing )

i always recommend that the plugs be changed, adaptors can be dangerous especially on items that take larger loads ie toasters kettles etc so only use your adaptors for items with built in plug / transformers ( phones etc ) and then only use a UK multisocket extension with an australian plug top on the lead, what ever you do dont use travel adaptors they are just about the worst with many types not having an earth pin

regards steve
Hi Steve,
so we should be alright with laptops then?

Cooler
Old Sep 24th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

From my bitter experience, I bought and used about 40 adapter's (UK to Aus) when we first got here and it worked a charm.

After about 2 months the one being used for the toaster and kettle melted slightly and it was wake up call to stop being lazy and start to change the plugs which I did. All fine but then I had another issue with one of them so all adapters have been taken off.

They worked fine but should really only be considered as temporary.

So I now have about 30 adapters which I'll need to sell on if anyone wants them...
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Aussie plugs don't have fuses.

Depending on which State you are in ou may need to get an electirican in to change the plugs or it could invalidate your home insurance (Qld in particular).
I'd just keep using the adapters - many of us that have been here years still run on adapters. My new unit looks like a spaghetti factory with adapters and powerboards everywhere - a 2 bedroom unit with only ONE plug socket in each room - except the kitchen where they have been generous and given me two.

thought it was just our house with hardly any plug sockets in it, we've got extension leads everywhere, only one double socket in every room even the kitchen!?!