Change is Good

Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change is Good

Originally Posted by GarryP
Microsoft P/E ratio : 37.1
Google P/E ratio : 30.93
Apple P/E ratio : 10.28

So yes, I wouldn't want apple, but given the similar levels of Google and MS, and the better future focus of Google, I know where my money would go.
Well, that could be a good bet. We shall wait and see if Google actually bring the R&D to market and more importantly, if it sells.

I think MS have some way to go on that price. As we know (see Apple) consumer hardware makes money, loads of it.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Have YOU seen the figures?

https://marketrealist.imgix.net/uplo...ax&auto=format

I'm sure MS would love to parley their business desktop space into cloud revenue, but the big boy is still Amazon with little sign that'll change soon. It's interesting to note, cloud for Microsoft is something of a zero sum game. Apps and data move from local MS software instances to cloud instances, losing them revenue from one area as it increases in another - not something Amazon have to worry about.

Not sure they are losing renenue unless the last year has been particularly bad.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...P_fZpEA-rAPBug

And on market share it seems Amazon is not growing as fast as the other. Looks like MS is taking up the slack left by the others.

Old Feb 27th 2016, 1:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Boz: *I've been searching your particular problem but I cannot find anything online. Got a link?*

Nope. There are so many diverse and often random things that seem to affect W10, quite apart from the deliberate insertions that M$ have included that it's not something I spent too much time on - it was the last straw. (As I mentioned, the M$ shop in Sydney admitted that it was something they had had complaints about.)

Just played golf with a partner: he's had W10 up to here, driven both his wife and himself crackers with similar random things, and is about to revert to ...wait for it!..... Vista!
Old Feb 27th 2016, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
Boz: *I've been searching your particular problem but I cannot find anything online. Got a link?*

Nope. There are so many diverse and often random things that seem to affect W10, quite apart from the deliberate insertions that M$ have included that it's not something I spent too much time on - it was the last straw. (As I mentioned, the M$ shop in Sydney admitted that it was something they had had complaints about.)

Just played golf with a partner: he's had W10 up to here, driven both his wife and himself crackers with similar random things, and is about to revert to ...wait for it!..... Vista!
Vista was one of the ones I skipped. Strange choice of downgrade. Since there's no real evidence of that problem persisting. I wonder if you'd let it ride for a few an update would of resolved it for you.

Funny about the MS shop. The one and only time I went in there was when I was going for my last phone upgrade. I really like the Win10 phone UI. I got chatting with one of the sales staff about the app store and he was brutally honest on that subject too. Garry should take a visit - sounds like their strategy is opposite selling. Talk it right down - see what happens. So it was another Galaxy for me.

When I upgraded the wifes laplet to W10 she hated it. I let her run on it for a few days, screaming and kicking. "Where is everything. I was used to the other version" Once I showed her how to find the stuff - Windows key, start typing, enter and a few other tricks, she was fine. I asked her last night if I should roll it back - standard predictable response " No I'm used to it now"...... I laughed.

Change is good but humans hate it. Sounds to me, with no evidence of the problem the main issue with Win10 is change.

Good reason for Apple doing sweet f all with their OS for years.

Last edited by Beoz; Feb 27th 2016 at 2:45 am.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 5:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the more interesting question here is, how do you tell a good change, from a bad one? I think everyone recognises that not all change is good, but here are a few pointers to sifting the wheat from the chaff.
  • It's being sold in nebulous terms, or about a far future. Frankly if it's not going to deliver something today, you really don't have a lot of hope that it'll be right tomorrow either.
  • It's being sold by a politician, particularly as 'necessary pain'. If someone's going to win out of it, it's not going to be you.
  • It's being sold as 'easier', but there's nothing concrete to demonstrate it's easier, just different.
  • "Will improve efficiency" = job losses. Also 'automate'.
  • The person/group implementing the change have never actually done what they are changing, and have changed their parts in glorious isolation from the rest of the system.
  • They can't point to one easily understandable, concrete, benefit.
Any more?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the more interesting question here is, how do you tell a good change, from a bad one? I think everyone recognises that not all change is good, but here are a few pointers to sifting the wheat from the chaff.
  • It's being sold in nebulous terms, or about a far future. Frankly if it's not going to deliver something today, you really don't have a lot of hope that it'll be right tomorrow either.
  • It's being sold by a politician, particularly as 'necessary pain'. If someone's going to win out of it, it's not going to be you.
  • It's being sold as 'easier', but there's nothing concrete to demonstrate it's easier, just different.
  • "Will improve efficiency" = job losses. Also 'automate'.
  • The person/group implementing the change have never actually done what they are changing, and have changed their parts in glorious isolation from the rest of the system.
  • They can't point to one easily understandable, concrete, benefit.
Any more?
One change off the top of my head that was a change for change's sake - the British Airways livery that Maggie had to cover over with her hankie!
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
One change off the top of my head that was a change for change's sake - the British Airways livery that Maggie had to cover over with her hankie!
Yeah but we no longer have to fly their shitty 747's back and forth and that change is good.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:59 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The 'do something' change. Either they have to 'do something' so it looks like they are not sitting back on their a**e, or they 'do something' to ensure there's no traceability so their performance can't be assessed (get on those reorg boots).
Old Feb 27th 2016, 9:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yeah but we no longer have to fly their shitty 747's back and forth and that change is good.
Give me the 744 over the A380 any day!
Old Feb 27th 2016, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
Give me the 744 over the A380 any day!
I know. Can't wait for the 744 to come out.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Good reason for Apple doing sweet f all with their OS for years.
Your windows fanboi commentary again...mac os x has constantly changed.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
Your windows fanboi commentary again...mac os x has constantly changed.
Need to get on board with the phone so feeling lacking. Can't call myself a true fanboy until I do.

Tell me all about those changes?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Need to get on board with the phone so feeling lacking. Can't call myself a true fanboy until I do.
Oh, I think you'd do fine Constantly casting people who use other tech to yourself as using inferior judgment, without actually having deep knowledge of each thing being compared, is a classic symptom.

Tell me all about those changes?
There's been a lot so you had better pop on over and I'll show you as can't type it all...I want to watch your eyes to see if you're listening or just fishing for an angle
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
Oh, I think you'd do fine Constantly casting people who use other tech to yourself as using inferior judgment, without actually having deep knowledge of each thing being compared, is a classic symptom.

There's been a lot so you had better pop on over and I'll show you as can't type it all...I want to watch your eyes to see if you're listening or just fishing for an angle
I thought so. ......... but that's a good thing ..... people hate change.

Interestingly I was at a party last night and a couple of lads were moaning about the battery life on their iphone 6's, so I pulled out the Note and said why don't you get one of these. Then one guy said "I'm so used to the iphone, I can't be arsed learning a new phone" ........ giggles giggles giggles .......

Change is good.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought so. ......... but that's a good thing ..... people hate change.
I request pithy comebacks that make logical sense please ? As I said I am a professional developer and this lack of logic is killing me

Interestingly I was at a party last night and a couple of lads were moaning about the battery life on their iphone 6's, so I pulled out the Note and said why don't you get one of these. Then one guy said "I'm so used to the iphone, I can't be arsed learning a new phone" ........ giggles giggles giggles .......

Change is good.
Fascinating stuff. Fanboi, meet fanboi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.