British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Caught by a mobile speed camera - or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/caught-mobile-speed-camera-not-905689/)

Lucas_Dad Nov 10th 2017 10:17 am

Caught by a mobile speed camera - or not?

I'm very proud of my super clean driving record. So my heart sank when on a long night drive through country NSW about 6 weeks ago... I saw that telltale flash in my mirrors. Bugger.

My satnav (Waze app on phone) was flickering a bit between 100-103kph (in a 100kph limit). I was wired on Red Bull and dazzled by oncoming traffic - you know, those idiots who never dip their full beams - I was fine and awake but just didn't react quick enough to slow down when I saw the speed trap car by the side of the road.

I read a post here yonks ago from someone who was pissed off about being pinged at just 1kph over the limit. I know they're strict here, so even just 2-3kph over I was expecting a fine & demerit. Then my physio told me that unofficially 'they' aren't bothered if you're just 2-3kph over the limit. Looks like she may have been right?

It will be handy if I have got away with it. My licence is due for renewal and a clean licence means a nice discount. My wife just renewed hers and got it half price.

So 6 weeks later, no fine in the post, have I been let off this time? Anyone else with any similar experience?

Kim67 Nov 11th 2017 12:13 am

Re: Caught by a mobile speed camera - or not?

3km over in a 40km school zone might get you a ticket but I'd be surprised if they'd ping you for 3km over in a 100km zone.

carcajou Nov 11th 2017 10:21 am

My wife got pinged in country WA for going 8 kph over (I was in the car - we live in country WA but not that particular area). The police car was passing in the other direction and did a u-turn just to get her. Apparently they have radar in their cars and can do that.

$100 fine and no points. But I was super annoyed. It's not like the police don't have bigger things they can be doing, especially in country WA, with our drug, crime and drink-driving issues. Yet here they are harassing drivers with a 100% clean record for really low-level speeding violations.

About a year ago someone came to my door and claimed their motorcycle had been stolen and stashed in our backyard - we have a double lot - he said he saw the guy who did it and it didn't match our description. I called the police and they refused to even take a report, including arguing with me about the definition of "trespassing" and saying that criminals stashing illicit goods in our yard didn't count because we didn't have a fence on the back boundary and it's only "trespassing" if someone has to overcome an obstacle to enter our yard.

The effectiveness of the police - and sometimes lack of it - is a political issue in regional Australia right now.

Swerv-o Nov 13th 2017 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad (Post 12379001)
I'm very proud of my super clean driving record. So my heart sank when on a long night drive through country NSW about 6 weeks ago... I saw that telltale flash in my mirrors. Bugger.

My satnav (Waze app on phone) was flickering a bit between 100-103kph (in a 100kph limit). I was wired on Red Bull and dazzled by oncoming traffic - you know, those idiots who never dip their full beams - I was fine and awake but just didn't react quick enough to slow down when I saw the speed trap car by the side of the road.

I read a post here yonks ago from someone who was pissed off about being pinged at just 1kph over the limit. I know they're strict here, so even just 2-3kph over I was expecting a fine & demerit. Then my physio told me that unofficially 'they' aren't bothered if you're just 2-3kph over the limit. Looks like she may have been right?

It will be handy if I have got away with it. My licence is due for renewal and a clean licence means a nice discount. My wife just renewed hers and got it half price.

So 6 weeks later, no fine in the post, have I been let off this time? Anyone else with any similar experience?

You may have got away with it - but there is no limitation statute on notice of intended prosecution here like there is in the UK - they can decide to prosecute you years after the offence if they so wish.

Are you sure it was a camera (double) flash - not lightning or something else? I didn't think that the roadside traps in NSW operated with a flash because they were all based on infrared cameras - I have seen them about, but never seen them flashing.

If you have a clean licence with 5+ years of NSW tenure on it, you can apply for leniency for a first offence - and they will very often waive it, however, they will remember this so you then can't get another one for a further 5 years.

S

Lucas_Dad Nov 18th 2017 1:38 pm

Yeah Swerv-o no doubt it was a speed camera. I saw the tiny sign by the road, I saw the car hidden well off the road, I was wired on energy drinks (and dazzled by oncoming non-dippers) and assumed my speed was fine... the flash was unmistakable. BUT, it does appear that I have got lucky this time. I'm not a speeder, but I will definitely be setting the cruise control for 2-3kph lower in future. My upcoming license renewal will be discounted 50% thanks to my clean record. A healthy discount I won't peril for a few kph in future :)

Swerv-o Nov 19th 2017 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad (Post 12384811)
Yeah Swerv-o no doubt it was a speed camera. I saw the tiny sign by the road, I saw the car hidden well off the road, I was wired on energy drinks (and dazzled by oncoming non-dippers) and assumed my speed was fine... the flash was unmistakable. BUT, it does appear that I have got lucky this time. I'm not a speeder, but I will definitely be setting the cruise control for 2-3kph lower in future. My upcoming license renewal will be discounted 50% thanks to my clean record. A healthy discount I won't peril for a few kph in future :)

Yeah, me too - I think with all of the required signage, you need to be a complete muppet to get nicked for speeding in NSW - though the small signs on the roadside units have tilted the balance a little.

S

Rhubarb65 Nov 22nd 2017 9:00 am

were you past the sign when the camera flashed? - I think I managed to dodge a fine whilst visiting NSW a couple of years ago from VIC, as I managed to brake in advance of the sign. Not sure it makes any difference, just a theory.

Swerv-o Nov 22nd 2017 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65 (Post 12387028)
were you past the sign when the camera flashed? - I think I managed to dodge a fine whilst visiting NSW a couple of years ago from VIC, as I managed to brake in advance of the sign. Not sure it makes any difference, just a theory.

Very often they put the sign on the road at the bumper of the car, which doesn't give you much time to respond. Some of the mobile camera cars have flashing lights on them though, so sit like huge beacons on the side of the road.

S

Lucas_Dad Nov 29th 2017 4:21 am

I renewed my drivers licence on Monday. I received the 50% fair go discount for being a good driver. Looks like I definitely got away with it. Lucky me :)

Lucas_Dad Nov 29th 2017 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 12387419)
Very often they put the sign on the road at the bumper of the car, which doesn't give you much time to respond. Some of the mobile camera cars have flashing lights on them though, so sit like huge beacons on the side of the road.
S

Yes I think I remember the sign being very close to the car. Maybe 10-20m. Hard to tell, but not much distance when you're doing 100kph, or a little over..