Cats in Australia

Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

julie100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cats in Australia

Planning to emigrate to Western Aussie and bring the cat. Problem is I spoke to several locals over there whose cat had been bitten by a snake and either killed or if lucky survived with antidote. Planning to live in a fairly rural area.
Is this really a problem?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cats in Australia

i'm not taking beloved felines becasue they kill things and bring them into the house... not that i mind dead things.... its the angry still alive not poisonous to cats but deadly to me things that they might bring in that worries me....

i can never remember whether Australians keep their cats in doors most of the time because of the threat to indigenous wildlife or becasue of the threat OF indigenous wildlife...
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
i'm not taking beloved felines becasue they kill things and bring them into the house... not that i mind dead things.... its the angry still alive not poisonous to cats but deadly to me things that they might bring in that worries me....

i can never remember whether Australians keep their cats in doors most of the time because of the threat to indigenous wildlife or becasue of the threat OF indigenous wildlife...

Trust me, they DON'T leave them inside. I have three of them wandering through my garden leaving me presents every night.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice

Originally Posted by julie100
Planning to emigrate to Western Aussie and bring the cat. Problem is I spoke to several locals over there whose cat had been bitten by a snake and either killed or if lucky survived with antidote. Planning to live in a fairly rural area.
I wouldnt worry.... we bought our cat from the uk with us & have had no probs at all....there are quite a few cats in our neighborhood too. I must admit I read all the posts about cats not being appreciated here in Oz, but there are so many people that have them here.....its similar to the uk! (& they sell cats/dogs in pet shops which I found strange!)

x
Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie100
We have lots of nasty things up here in tropical Qld and my two cats (who only go out in the garden during daytime for a couple of hours) and the neighbours cats who run around freely all day never had a problem. Guess it is pot luck if it happens, in Europe they are probably more prone to be killed by cars. I do worry a bit about the snakes etc. as they are also in the suburbs not only in the rural areas. Only a week or so ago over at Magnetic Island a few dogs were killed by Death Adders (very poisonous snakes).
Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Trust me, they DON'T leave them inside. I have three of them wandering through my garden leaving me presents every night.
My Aussie neighbours have two cats and they are outside all the time too. Crapping everywhere.

I have two house cats and never let them out. They sit at the door sometimes, but they cost me alot of money so i prefer they stay indoors. I guess it's up to the owners, but i do think they should stay in.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Cat's are not too popular in Australia, especially in the bush.

Have you ever heard of a "cat tree" -Aussie Style:

Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of cat lovers that I've noticed, loads of cats wandering around.

We brought ours then I bought another one when we arrived (not planned!), at the moment they're house cats but we will be building a run in the not too distant future so they can get some outside air.

Personally I made the decision that indoors/run is best as I know our English mog is a prolific killer and have no doubts the Aus one would be too!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
There are plenty of cat lovers that I've noticed, loads of cats wandering around.

We brought ours then I bought another one when we arrived (not planned!), at the moment they're house cats but we will be building a run in the not too distant future so they can get some outside air.

Personally I made the decision that indoors/run is best as I know our English mog is a prolific killer and have no doubts the Aus one would be too!
off topic, sorry OP. are you with baby yet??
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, it refuses to come out, obviously my womb is just far too comfortable!!!

Getting a bit fed up now though, just want to get the birth over with!!!