British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Catholic schools au - enrolment advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/catholic-schools-au-enrolment-advice-549786/)

homewardbound Jul 18th 2008 12:40 pm

Catholic schools au - enrolment advice?

I have an interview next week for my daughter at the catholic high school that i went to.

I was baptised Catholic but I never had my children baptised as in Uk we never really lived near a catholic church and I have pretty much stopped practicing.

Anyway, I am just wondering how this interview will go with me being an exstudent and all,, I'm worried that I will be interrogated about why the kids arent catholic etc...

So can anyone tell me what they ask at these interviews??? There seems to be a space for her so its all down to us I guess.

biggy Jul 18th 2008 1:33 pm

Re: Catholic schools au - enrolment advice?

Originally Posted by homewardbound (Post 6584767)
I have an interview next week for my daughter at the catholic high school that i went to.

I was baptised Catholic but I never had my children baptised as in Uk we never really lived near a catholic church and I have pretty much stopped practicing.

Anyway, I am just wondering how this interview will go with me being an exstudent and all,, I'm worried that I will be interrogated about why the kids arent catholic etc...

So can anyone tell me what they ask at these interviews??? There seems to be a space for her so its all down to us I guess.

can I ask why you want to put your kids in a Catholic School when you dont practise yourself?

homewardbound Jul 18th 2008 10:50 pm

My daughter would not cope with a state school here, certainly not the one in our zone, I can't afford private and I know my daughter will do much better at an all girls school - she was in an all girls in he UK.

biggy Jul 19th 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by homewardbound (Post 6586756)
My daughter would not cope with a state school here, certainly not the one in our zone, I can't afford private and I know my daughter will do much better at an all girls school - she was in an all girls in he UK.

why would she not cope with a state school? nothing wrong with state schools.......and in MY opinion same sex schools donet give kids a view on what life is really about....you need to learn to interact with both sexes to learn the ways of the world. State schools in Oz I would say are better than those in the UK

melbournegirl Jul 20th 2008 1:20 am

In Victoria Catholic schools have to take a certain percentage of non-Catholics. Not sure about N.S.W. I am not sure what they will ask in the interview as it is probably different in each school and depends on the principal and Priest of the parish.

Wol Jul 20th 2008 2:00 am

Tell them that you want education and no brainwashing: their reaction might say a lot!

Kim67 Jul 20th 2008 4:29 am

Hi Homewardbound - I've got three non-catholic kids in catholic schooling (they're currently in Perth but wen to a catholic school in Brisbane last year). At both interviews, the principals gave an overview of their school and it's curriculum - asked some general questions about why we wanted the kids in their school. Spoke to the kids themselves to find out about their interests etc, flicked through their previous school reports - there was no interrogation about why the kids weren't catholic. Being an "old girl" yourself will be seen as a plus rather than a minus. As someone else said, each school has to take a certain percentage of non-catholic students (something to do with government funding). Just dress nicely (stick hubby in a suit or something) warn your daughter that she'll probably need to have a chat with the principal too so she's not put on the spot and clams up at the time.

Good luck and I'm sure your interview will be fine.

Kim

nickyjohnt Jul 20th 2008 5:19 am

Im Catholic , but my daughter was never baptised. She went to a Catholic school in the UK. She starts High school next year and wants to go to the Catholic high school nearby.
Had the interview last October and was told she had a good chance of getting in, got the letter a couple of months ago that it was over subscribed and Catholics had priority so she didnt get a place.

Now in the process of getting her baptised ( her choice BTW )

Nicky :)

charlie-k Jul 20th 2008 11:37 am

...as in Uk we never really lived near a catholic church and I have pretty much stopped practicing.

did you live in a remote area? Everywhere you look in UK there seems to be a Catholic church.

chris and farideh Jul 20th 2008 12:34 pm

My son goes to catholic primary school & he wasn’t baptise as one, I think as long as you can afford the fees in this day and age they don’t care if you are practising or not in IMO.
The state school he went to was so bad that we had no choice but to send him into one, but you realise you still have to pay for it.
It’s not as expensive as private school but a hell lot of more than a state school, my eldest 2 go into state high school, & they are very happy.
thumbsup: