Reload this Page >

cathay pacific v singapore airlines

cathay pacific v singapore airlines

Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:06 am
Ozbound

Ista will become famous soon enoughIsta will become famous soon enough
Default Re: cathay pacific v singapore airlines

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm one of the few people who would fly with them for that reason! I hate having someone almost lying in my lap, find it hard to get out of a seat when the one in front is reclined fully, and I have had several discussions with people over their "right" to eat meals with their seats reclined. If you have someone considerate in front, and you are considerate of the person behind, its OK, but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Having flown from Hobart to Melbourne today with a child in front who not only reclined the seat-back but bounced it up and down most of the way, I'd be in heaven on a plane where the seats don't move!!!

Ugh, that's really annoying! I think I've been v lucky because I can't remember this ever really being a problem for me - maybe it's coz I'm short so I don't notice it as much! I know my bro always complains and likes to get the exit seats for this reason.

What would be perfect was if the seat were reclinable BUT ALSO put more space between the rows as that way people could recline them without annoying those behind them! Everyone would be happy! No chance of that happening though what with airlines trying to cram as many people in as poss...heard about RyanAir's new plans to have 'standing' seats (!).
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by clairey b
Hi there,

We flew with singapore ailines when we travelled over on our reccie, although didn't stop over. We flew on the airbus, and on the way over were downstairs, but on the way back were upstairs(requested), which is so much better than downstairs! alot more room and alot fewer seats as another member has said.

When we flew over for good 6 months ago we flew with cathay. Have to say they were good, and can't really fault them, but out of the 2 i think we would go with singapore again. We had a stop over in HK for 3 nights and stayed at the Langham Place, Mongkok. Absolutely amazing hotel, and we booked directly through them and saved sooo much money! It is ideally situated in HK, but it is a very very busy city(well it was when we were there anyway?) although amazing to visit.

Best of luck with everything.

Claire
I stayed in Langham too, great place lots of gadgets and I liked the glass wall between bathroom and main room - meant I could watch the flatscreen TV from the bath!

Just beware of ordering the drunken prawns in the restaurant! Any animal rights peeps would not approve!!!

I flew qantas into HK then Swiss Air HK to zurich with connection to Manchester.

But for me it's Singapore all the way as first choice!

Although I would like to visit Shangai so no doubt I'll try a Chinese airline at some point!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Singapore Airlines or Cathay

I'm flying to the UK next month and am deciding whether to go with Singapore or Cathay.

I always fly Singapore normally, but since the dreadful treatment my parents received by the check-in staff at Perth airport I'm loath to give them my money.

Current prices are:
Singapore - $1958
Cathay - $1883

Am I daft to cut off my nose and spite my face by not flying with Singapore (and missing out on flying the A380 which I love travelling on!) or should I stick with my morals and do Cathay?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:26 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore Airlines or Cathay

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I'm flying to the UK next month and am deciding whether to go with Singapore or Cathay.

I always fly Singapore normally, but since the dreadful treatment my parents received by the check-in staff at Perth airport I'm loath to give them my money.

Current prices are:
Singapore - $1958
Cathay - $1883

Am I daft to cut off my nose and spite my face by not flying with Singapore (and missing out on flying the A380 which I love travelling on!) or should I stick with my morals and do Cathay?
I've flown with both. Any of my criticisms towards Cathay were incredibly minor really. The main thing was that their plane from Brisbane to HK was really old and so the flying and entertainment experience was not great. From HK to London was good though and couldn't fault that leg.
I've only flown once with Singapore and they were brilliant
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged - saves people repeating themselves as both threads are current
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Polly, didn't see this one. Cheers also BS.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore Airlines or Cathay

Current prices are:
Singapore - $1958
Cathay - $1883

Frequent flyer loyalties would probably get in the way of my morals!? Do you already collect miles with Singapore or Qantas / Cathay?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Nah don't get frequent flyers on the cheaper deals.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Polly, didn't see this one. Cheers also BS.
No probs

Of the two airlines, b the way, I'd go Cathay, but given free choice I'd be like bcworld - Frequent Flyer points make the decision for me. I fly between here and the UK enough to make collecting Qantas points well worthwhile
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

On a slightly different topic, does anyone have any experience of the Travelers Lounge at Hong Kong airport?

We've a 6 hour stopover there, and although I've already booked it, I'm interested to know what to expect.