Casual worker rules

Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:02 am
‹(•¿•)›

Superstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Casual worker rules

I have been working as a casual for some time now and was wondering what (if any) the rules are regarding casual workers and the possibility of becoming a full time worker?
My employer is not the most approachable and the lads I work with are mostly happy to stay casual for the extra $$$ per hour, for me it levels out with hol and sick pay so all good.
Whats the go? Do they HAVE to take you on after a certain amount of time or can you stay casual for eternity?
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:04 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casual worker rules

Originally Posted by Superstar
I have been working as a casual for some time now and was wondering what (if any) the rules are regarding casual workers and the possibility of becoming a full time worker?
My employer is not the most approachable and the lads I work with are mostly happy to stay casual for the extra $$$ per hour, for me it levels out with hol and sick pay so all good.
Whats the go? Do they HAVE to take you on after a certain amount of time or can you stay casual for eternity?
I don't think they have to do anything as such, least of all offer you anything permanent. That's not to say they won't if you ask nicely though
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:24 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Your employer will inform you that you are not required on the day before you qualify for automatic permanency..........couple of days later you will be re-hired(if you are any good)........your continuity will have been broken, start again
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:38 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean permanent ......or full time?

If you mean permanent ....then it seems it's not unusual to be a temp for years here.

Speak to fellow colleagues and see if your company normally operates this way. Alternatively see your supervisor and see what chance you have of being taken on perm.

Good luck m8
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:58 am
‹(•¿•)›

Superstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Do you mean permanent ......or full time?

If you mean permanent ....then it seems it's not unusual to be a temp for years here.

Speak to fellow colleagues and see if your company normally operates this way. Alternatively see your supervisor and see what chance you have of being taken on perm.

Good luck m8
What I want is a permanent job...I already work full time plus a healthy dose of overtime each week takes me up to 45-50 hrs per week. I just want the security of knowing I can plan ahead with the knowledge I wil have a good income each week to sort the family out.
So is there a cut off time on the casual work thing?
Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:50 am
Account Closed

What I want is a permanent job...I already work full time plus a healthy dose of overtime each week takes me up to 45-50 hrs per week. I just want the security of knowing I can plan ahead with the knowledge I wil have a good income each week to sort the family out.
Not sure m8...but we have an Aussie friend who has been temp for the same company for 4 years and others who have also been temps on and off for years. Seems it's a normal way of working here and it doesn't seem to bother people, I suppose it's cos they know no different

The strange thing is that none of our Aussie mates are perturbed by this way of working. They said they have never been out of work. I reckon it's alien to UK people as it doesn't make for a secure lifestyle if you're not perm..nor do you get sick pay or holiday pay....although you usually get maybe a dollar or more per hour for being a temp.

A recent illegal train strike meant commuters weren't warned beforehand so had to find other means to work that day. Some temp workers didn't get paid for the hours they lost due to having to find alternative ways to work, and some were late as they had no idea the trains were on strike till they got to the train stations that day.....

It's probably a mind set thing. Most people in UK are perm so I suppose being temporary is something else to get used to
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Theres no cut off on the casual labour thing, you can be casual for ever.

30/40% of jobs are already casual postions and workplace reform will probably increase that, its just the way here, employers prefer it , for a slightly higher hourly rate they dont have to pay hols, sick etc etc, and if the business goes quiet the workers hours can be decreased accordingly with no fuss or payouts.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Theres no cut off on the casual labour thing, you can be casual for ever.

30/40% of jobs are already casual postions and workplace reform will probably increase that, its just the way here, employers prefer it , for a slightly higher hourly rate they dont have to pay hols, sick etc etc, and if the business goes quiet the workers hours can be decreased accordingly with no fuss or payouts.
I reckon in time the Aus government will go the same way as UK. They will bring out a legal requirements that employers must only employ temps for a set period of time only.

Aus seems to be going the same way as UK in its workforce reforms. Aus government realises it's not good for a large majority of the workforce to be temp as it makes for an unstable economy. However they need to manage these changes so as not to create too much unrest for employers initially. It's something they have to manage so I reckon they will introduce these workforce reforms bit-by-bit. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey

Eventually the pendulum will meet in the middle to make things fair on both sides i.e employers and employees. Then the government will get their stability too
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:48 am
‹(•¿•)›

So, today seemed like a good time to ask the boss for a permanent job...Or so I thought.
We had a works meeting today which usually happens on a boozy Friday afternoon with a BBQ and a meeting to bring up any points of worthiness within our little company...all was going well and I was given a sizable bonus today for the last month since christmas for the amount of work and toil I have put in...I got the manager to one side after the meeting and we had a beer and a chat about where the company is headed in 06 and where I fit in to these plans...Cut a long story short I asked for a permanent job and was given the usual BS line about "there are incentives there for those who deserve them" and " see me again in six months"
I am well peeeeed off about this but I suppose I will have to take it on the chin...Maybe the tax free four figure bonus will soften the blow.