Wikiposts

cash handout

Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: cash handout

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Makes you wonder how much of it will stay in Aus
About 20% of the last one was spent in Australia.....

Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:04 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
About 20% of the last one was spent in Australia.....

Are you sure ABC

Only 20% in Australia and the other 80% overseas!

Are you sure it's not the other way around mate?
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We were out at a Malaysian restaurant yesterday and our Malayan & Chinese friends all said they would send it to their families overseas.

Makes you wonder how much of it will stay in Aus[/QUOTE]

This is one of the reasons I dont agree with it!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:09 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Are you sure ABC

Only 20% in Australia and the other 80% overseas!

Are you sure it's not the other way around mate?
That doesn't mean the other 80% was spent overseas. It just means that 20% was SPENT in the country.

I don't know the stats but I imagine a large percentage was save, put towards bills, etc. So it could be that 20% was spent, 70% saved and the rest overseas? Hard to say......
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Like a lot of people my first reaction to the govt handout is don't spend money when times are bad. I, like most people, am not a macro economist and am trying to keep an open mind on the payments.

But there are some signs it might have been the right thing to do:
- http://www.theage.com.au/national/se...0205-7yse.html
- http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013871,00.html

But maybe not...maybe an economist amongst us can help?
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
That doesn't mean the other 80% was spent overseas. It just means that 20% was SPENT in the country.

I don't know the stats but I imagine a large percentage was save, put towards bills, etc. So it could be that 20% was spent, 70% saved and the rest overseas? Hard to say......
And this saving thing confuses me. Surely, money is money. If you saved that particular $900 it makes you more able to spend other money next week/month etc.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:15 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

Which is why I asked for clarification.

ABC might be able to clarify.

My original question was I wonder how much is spent in Aus and how much overseas?
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
And this saving thing confuses me. Surely, money is money. If you saved that particular $900 it makes you more able to spend other money next week/month etc.
Possibly for some people, it really depends on how much disposable income you have and how much savings you currently have.

In our case we have a fair amount of disposable income and giving us $900 isn't likely to affect our spending at all. It would just go right into our separate savings account (or the kids) and sit generating interest. We're already able to buy the things we need or want, so giving us more money won't make me go out and buy more just for the sake of it. However, if you're someone who is saving up to buy something special or has a wish list of items then you'd be far more likely to go out and buy them.

The other alternative for us (and others I'm sure) would be to put it directly into the mortgage, which again would not be directly spent on goods or services.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:01 pm
ABCDiamond

My original question was I wonder how much is spent in Aus and how much overseas?
Not sure that anyone will be able to really tell, but part of that remaining 80% will have gone overseas, although I doubt it will be much.

The statistics being quoted are unreliable, as, when you add them all up, they exceed 100% of the total, and leave zero to go overseas

Some people will have said they are using it to repay Credit card debt, but if they use the card again, then they do effectively spend it anyway.

A sensible way to spend these combined bonuses would be to buy a new Solar Heat pump water heater unit for the house, then claim the entire cost back again on one of the other stimulus options, so that you get the money to spend again....

You then buy a computer, assuming you have a child at school, and then claim 50% of it back again, to spend on something else... again...

Oh yes, and with the initial Heat Pump purchase, you free up about $400 per year from your electric bill, so you have that to spend aswell

It's money for old rope....

Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I'm saving it for the time being. I'm doing my bit to make sure that my Aussie bank is adequately capitalised
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
not if like us you dont have another $900 to play with

ours will probably mostly go on paying off my flights that are currently sitting on the credit card... the rest will cover what my OH's lost in overtime lately.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

gonna pay off some of my british credit card with mine!!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure that anyone will be able to really tell, but part of that remaining 80% will have gone overseas, although I doubt it will be much.

The statistics being quoted are unreliable, as, when you add them all up, they exceed 100% of the total, and leave zero to go overseas

Some people will have said they are using it to repay Credit card debt, but if they use the card again, then they do effectively spend it anyway.

A sensible way to spend these combined bonuses would be to buy a new Solar Heat pump water heater unit for the house, then claim the entire cost back again on one of the other stimulus options, so that you get the money to spend again....

You then buy a computer, assuming you have a child at school, and then claim 50% of it back again, to spend on something else... again...

Oh yes, and with the initial Heat Pump purchase, you free up about $400 per year from your electric bill, so you have that to spend aswell

It's money for old rope....
Makes perfect sense and like your cheeky style
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Makes perfect sense and like your cheeky style
Liked it but it was a bit light on stats
Old Apr 5th 2009, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by kporte
Liked it but it was a bit light on stats
I know, ABC must be feeling off colour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.