Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Carry on Camping...But where?

Carry on Camping...But where?

Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

ollydt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carry on Camping...But where?

The wife and I want to head off camping in September for a week or so.

We live in Melbourne and are wishing to go to QLD or NSW. We went to Wye River on the Great Ocean Road in january this year, and for anyone who has been there, will know it is quiet and has a decent beach, and importantly facilities so I don't feel too much like a scruffy student for a week, and can have a credible sit down without having to dig a trench.

We are looking for any top recommendations for a camp site in QLD or NSW that will be equally relaxing, and as teachers, not one which is manic with kids, so hopefully avoid a chain camp site.

Anyone got any suggestions? If you could direct us with websites or any helpful stuff that would be great.

Olly
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carry on Camping...But where?

Hmmm If I was going the other way... IE: East rather than our usual West.... Then Merimbula. Bit of a drive. Very pretty Take your time up that way beyond Merimbula towards Sydney, it's the prettiest part of Aus as far as I'm concerned.. I've been right up to Cooktown. Sometimes you overlook or dismiss what is close.

Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going to Binna Burra in the Gold Coast Hinterland this weekend (must be mad.....it's been freezing!). Have heard good reports about it. Would then give you easy access to all the Gold Coast has to offer.....

http://www.binnaburralodge.com.au/
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
I'm going to Binna Burra in the Gold Coast Hinterland this weekend (must be mad.....it's been freezing!). Have heard good reports about it. Would then give you easy access to all the Gold Coast has to offer.....

http://www.binnaburralodge.com.au/
That's brought back some memories, camped there one weekend years ago. I can remember having dinner at the lodge, can campers still do that? Some great rainforest walks around there.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HelenTD
That's brought back some memories, camped there one weekend years ago. I can remember having dinner at the lodge, can campers still do that? Some great rainforest walks around there.
Partner has been there & she stayed in the lodge (I think). She loves it there. I saw it on the TV and said that I would like to go one day (I was thinking summer time) & we booked this weekend lol
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Partner has been there & she stayed in the lodge (I think). She loves it there. I saw it on the TV and said that I would like to go one day (I was thinking summer time) & we booked this weekend lol
I can remember having to cross streams balancing on logs, and one day saw a huge carpet python right alongside the track, think it had just eaten something substantial, as it couldn't slither away from us. The lodge had bush dancing and party games the weekend we went, it was a great way to get the different groups of people together. We had a great time and it was a real shock to return to the bustling city of Brisbane.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:34 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

When I visited my brother in QLD back in 2009, we spent a day at Somerset Dam. There were plenty of people camping there. May be worth a look.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:01 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollydt
The wife and I want to head off camping in September for a week or so.

We live in Melbourne and are wishing to go to QLD or NSW. We went to Wye River on the Great Ocean Road in january this year, and for anyone who has been there, will know it is quiet and has a decent beach, and importantly facilities so I don't feel too much like a scruffy student for a week, and can have a credible sit down without having to dig a trench.

We are looking for any top recommendations for a camp site in QLD or NSW that will be equally relaxing, and as teachers, not one which is manic with kids, so hopefully avoid a chain camp site.

Anyone got any suggestions? If you could direct us with websites or any helpful stuff that would be great.

Olly
Maybe try Stradbroke Island you can catch a ferry which isn't expensive and it's a beautiful place to visit

http://www.google.com/search?q=strad...2&ved=0CHgQsAQ

http://www.more2redlands.com.au/Expl...s/default.aspx

http://www.bigredcat.com.au/
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

ollydt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback.

Some nice suggestions there. We are looking into them all and any others that may pop up.

olly
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ollydt
Thanks for the feedback.

Some nice suggestions there. We are looking into them all and any others that may pop up.

olly
Mystery Bay, NSW.

You need to be happy with 'quiet' and 'scenic'. If you are then its the place to go

http://www.exploroz.com/Places/25275...stery_Bay.aspx