Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Carr 'astonished' by Thatcher's 'racist' comments

Carr 'astonished' by Thatcher's 'racist' comments

Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Carr 'astonished' by Thatcher's 'racist' comments

Originally Posted by Zen10
It depends on what she was getting at though, doesn't it? I agree in essence, but I think my concern is more cultural than racial. I choose to live in a Western liberal democracy, and these are white countries, for the most part. If Australia was 75% Asian, but identical culturally and politically to where we live today, I shouldn't have a problem with it, should I?
Absolutely right. However if Australia was 75% Asian, it just wouldn't be the same culturally or politically as it is today!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
On the plus side, the Chinese embrace western values and happily blend in. Except for the China Towns which are more like cultural restaurant and shopping strips, they don't separate themselves from everyone else as much as certain other cultures do.
I agree. Most East Asian migrants do seem to adapt quite well and make good citizens IMO. I believe in the melting pot approach to migration where different ethnic groups gradually integrate and adopt the prevailing culture but, in so doing, also have a small and hopefully positive influence on the mainstream culture. Obviously, some ethnic groups are better at this than others. If you look at the descendants of Italians, for instance, they are now almost indistinguishable from the mainstream but they still conserve some of their values like hard work and respect for family. This has been a good thing for all Australians who may be just a little bit more hard working and family minded than if the Italians had never come here.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Budawang
I agree. Most East Asian migrants do seem to adapt quite well and make good citizens IMO. I believe in the melting pot approach to migration where different ethnic groups gradually integrate and adopt the prevailing culture but, in so doing, also have a small and hopefully positive influence on the mainstream culture. Obviously, some ethnic groups are better at this than others. If you look at the descendants of Italians, for instance, they are now almost indistinguishable from the mainstream but they still conserve some of their values like hard work and respect for family. This has been a good thing for all Australians who may be just a little bit more hard working and family minded than if the Italians had never come here.
I agree with your comments. When I first went to Perth years ago it was gradually moving way from their somewhat staid approach to eating and food and this was largely due to the Italian migrants coming there. They brought their great foods and they were responsible for the cafe and coffee culture which is now the norn. The Ri Store was a great place to buy the European foods and sip a cappuccino Also, the Italian kids wanted so much to integrate into the Oz society and become truly Australlian.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:28 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stewie
Absolutely right. However if Australia was 75% Asian, it just wouldn't be the same culturally or politically as it is today!
I agree with you. We know that in the last decade Italian, Greek and Polish immigrants are down, and Indian and Chinese are up. However, people claiming English, Irish, Scottish and "Australian" ancestry constitute 90% of the population, while Chinese make up around 4%, so there's a long way to go.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zen10
I agree with you. We know that in the last decade Italian, Greek and Polish immigrants are down, and Indian and Chinese are up. However, people claiming English, Irish, Scottish and "Australian" ancestry constitute 90% of the population, while Chinese make up around 4%, so there's a long way to go.
I would say your figures are substantially out of date. As of the 2011 census about 13% are Asian. 90% do not claim Anglo-Celtic background.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:11 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
I would say your figures are substantially out of date. As of the 2011 census about 13% are Asian. 90% do not claim Anglo-Celtic background.
That may be the case, but I would immediately say (without checking 2011 census) that Asian does not equal Chinese. I said Chinese were at 4%.