Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Car insurance premiums getting out of control

Wikiposts

Car insurance premiums getting out of control

Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Car insurance premiums getting out of control

My premium has doubled in 2 years.

Same car
Never made a claim (full no claims history)
20 years driving

Sure I can half my premiums using AAMI but they are a joke outfit. I want to use a reliable company like Allianz or RACV.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:23 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance premiums getting out of control

Originally Posted by ossigeno

Same car
20 years driving

Sure I can half my premiums using AAMI but they are a joke outfit. I want to use a reliable company like Allianz or RACV.
How do you know AAMI are a joke if you've never made a claim?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by perksy
How do you know AAMI are a joke if you've never made a claim?
Once we tried to make a claim with AAMI. I know others who have also tried to make a claim. They are a joke outfit. If all other providers are $1000 and AMII are $600 it has go to say something. Not worth having that kind of insurance at all.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:35 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Once we tried to make a claim with AAMI. I know others who have also tried to make a claim. They are a joke outfit. If all other providers are $1000 and AMII are $600 it has go to say something. Not worth having that kind of insurance at all.
In my experience all insurance companies try and wriggle out of a claim.

Try these

http://www.budgetdirect.com.au/
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perksy
In my experience all insurance companies try and wriggle out of a claim.

Try these

http://www.budgetdirect.com.au/

AAMI may be ok if you take the excess down to zero. What we have found is that they will move mountains to make sure the excess applies.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Mine hasn't, same car, no changes etc.

Car 1
$392.00 Mar-04
$412.00 Mar-05
$422.00 Mar-06
$453.00 Mar-07
$488.00 Mar-08
$525.00 Mar-09

Car 2
$393.00 Dec-05
$435.00 Dec-06
$477.00 Dec-07
$480.00 Dec-08

Which insurer are you with ?

Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Our premiums are similar to ABC's and we are with RACV and always have been.

If a driver of the car is under 25 then premiums will be higher.

When our children turned 18 they both got old cars and took our third party fire and theft and built up their no claims and when they got better cars even though under 25 they did not have to pay an arm and a leg.

Its the registration that bugs me. Same for every car big or small. How can that be.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is with Allianz:-

Jun 07 $650
Jun 08 $840
Jun 09 $1265

RACV was a similar story for 05 and 06. Nissan X-Trail. Always fully comprehensive.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

This is with Allianz:-

Jun 07 $650
Jun 08 $840
Jun 09 $1265

RACV was a similar story for 05 and 06. Nissan X-Trail. Always fully comprehensive.
Ring them up and query it. My premium came in from GIO and the increase was 12% up from last year. When I challenged it they came down to a 6% increase. You have to bargain for everything in this country which I personally find annoying and tiring
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:57 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Ring them up and query it. My premium came in from GIO and the increase was 12% up from last year. When I challenged it they came down to a 6% increase. You have to bargain for everything in this country which I personally find annoying and tiring
Sorry couldn't resist

http://www.sheilaswheels.com/
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:00 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Same car
20 years driving

Change the post code and see the difference

We keep the cars registered at our "regional" victorian property ie out of metropolitan Melbourne and the difference is staggering - from $1100 down to under $500
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

We keep the cars registered at our "regional" victorian property ie out of metropolitan Melbourne and the difference is staggering - from $1100 down to under $500
I just put the exact same criteria in on RACV site but changed the location to Warrnambool. Premium dropped from $974 to $562.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:41 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I just put the exact same criteria in on RACV site but changed the location to Warrnambool. Premium dropped from $974 to $562.
Ours was Malvern East to Colac
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Is it because of higher incidence of car thefts in certain areas?

In Dubai, we pay 3.5% of the value of the car - our insurance premium therefore steadily reduces every year after taking depreciation into account.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Petals
Its the registration that bugs me. Same for every car big or small. How can that be.
Annual Rego here in QLD, varies depending on the car engine size.
$216.25 1–3 cylinders or electric
$263.00 4 cylinders
$380.35 5 or 6 Cylinders
$514.80 7 or 8 Cylinders

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.