Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

car insurance in OZ?

car insurance in OZ?

Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all
Default car insurance in OZ?

hi i was wondering if car insurance in oz is as expensive as insurance in uk? thanks in advance
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance in OZ?

Originally Posted by davidb1989
hi i was wondering if car insurance in oz is as expensive as insurance in uk? thanks in advance
Don't you think you should concentrate on getting a visa before worrying about stuff like this?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't you think you should concentrate on getting a visa before worrying about stuff like this?
actually im sorting a visa at the moment i was just interested to find out how much whats your problem, did it affend you? why even waste your time typing that???????????
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

actually im sorting a visa at the moment i was just interested to find out how much whats your problem, did it affend you? why even waste your time typing that???????????
Some questions get asked over and over again so it is best to do a search before you ask to see if you can find the answer yourself first.

Also Grayling is right, concentrate on your visa and things like car insurance etc will follow on naturally.

Have a read of Hutch's post here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Try this site - its a very good way of doing comparisons on the costs of financial things (e.g. insurance, mortgages etc.)

www.ratecity.com

To the whingers I would say that the search function on this site does not really work very well and therefore it is often more useful to start a new thread.

Oh and btw I hated Australia so I wouldn't bother.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
Try this site - its a very good way of doing comparisons on the costs of financial things (e.g. insurance, mortgages etc.)

www.ratecity.com

To the whingers I would say that the search function on this site does not really work very well and therefore it is often more useful to start a new thread.

Oh and btw I hated Australia so I wouldn't bother.
I'm not a whinger. I was trying to be helpful.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:27 am
ABCDiamond

How much is Car Insurance in the UK now ?

Here you pay for two separate insurance policies:

Car Insurance in Australia
Compulsory Third Party- CTP is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle.
It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury, it DOES NOT cover damage to other property, cars etc

and then either "Third party/Fire and Theft" or "Fully Comp"

No Claims Discount
Many Insurers will accept your word that you have proof of No Claims Discount from the UK, but in the event of an accident, it is highly likely that they will want to see the proof prior to paying out the claim.
My advise is to send a copy of it to the Insurer, so they have it on file.

There is no discount allowed on the CTP cover.
I currently pay
$308 CTP
$480 Fully Comp, max NCD, 40+ drivers (3 ltr, 6 cylinder car, 2000 reg, $12,000 value)
Total $788 for Insurance

When checking the Car Registration costs, some people quote the CTP insurance in with that aswell, as it is sometimes paid at the same time.

eg: My car Rego was $666.35, but $299 of that was CTP , therefore the actual registration cost was only $367.35.

Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:41 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

You pay reggo in QLD and WA and that included 3rd party insurance... thats compulsory.. not sure about other states but assume it is the same..

If you want to take out further insurance (like a comprehensive insurance), then you can ... not sure what the costings are, but if you have no claims bonus then you need to bring that letter along with you as part of your documents to take to Oz... they will want to see it

Em x
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:15 am
ABCDiamond

I would just like to emphasise the following

The Compulsory Third Party insurance ONLY covers PERSONAL INJURY, it DOES NOT cover damage to other property, Cars, Fences etc.

If you only have CTP cover and smash into someone elses Mercedes, then YOU have a problem.

Too many times have people thought that Third Party Cover was the same as in the UK

Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:57 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I would just like to emphasise the following

The Compulsory Third Party insurance ONLY covers PERSONAL INJURY, it DOES NOT cover damage to other property, Cars, Fences etc.

If you only have CTP cover and smash into someone elses Mercedes, then YOU have a problem.

Too many times have people thought that Third Party Cover was the same as in the UK
I did not realise this!! Am going back to re-read our policy! I obviously didnt read it clearly enough

Em x
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Be very very careful what insurance company you pick, it is like anything in life you get what you pay for.

I know what I am talking about as I have been an insurance assessor for the last 15 years.

PM me if you have any queries.

John
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jond
PM me if you have any queries.

John
It's probably best if everyone sees the questions and answers.

For CTP in QLD, these are the insurers and current prices for private cars

December 2008 to 30 March 2009

QBE: $ 304.00
NRMA Insurance: $ 305.00
AAMI: $ 308.00
SUNCORP: $ 308.00
RACQ Insurance: $ 308.00
ALLIANZ: $ 305.00

Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Brownie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

He is only asking , No need to be so Negative.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, questions like this can help people decide if they want to/ can afford to move to Oz. No point sorting out a visa if he would be wasting his money!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownie
He is only asking , No need to be so Negative.
read some of his other posts before you get all high and mighty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.