Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

CAr Boot Sales and Fresh Fruit Markets in Connolly?

Wikiposts

CAr Boot Sales and Fresh Fruit Markets in Connolly?

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

babysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nice
Default CAr Boot Sales and Fresh Fruit Markets in Connolly?

Just got here.....nearly died at the price of bananas 12.99 k/g !!!!! Somebody said their are fruit and veg markets which are alot cheaper the coles and woolworths which is where i did my first shop.

Also, i love car boot sales and would like to start going to some to get some bits and pieces for our permanent rental......can anybody advise if their is one near to connolly.

Bear in mind we dont have a car yet, but we are just off hodges drive.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAr Boot Sales and Fresh Fruit Markets in Connolly?

Originally Posted by babysinead
Just got here.....nearly died at the price of bananas 12.99 k/g !!!!! Somebody said their are fruit and veg markets which are alot cheaper the coles and woolworths which is where i did my first shop.

Also, i love car boot sales and would like to start going to some to get some bits and pieces for our permanent rental......can anybody advise if their is one near to connolly.

australia has Garage Sales, not car boot sales... People put their crap in their garage and YOU drive to them... Advertised in your local freepaper and on Gumtree...

But TBH.... If you're getting stuff for your new rental... Gumtree is the best... But get a car first
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

babysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nice

Thanks for that.......Have noticed car's are really expensive here, think we will have to hire one, does $25.00 per day sound reasonable???

Could you let me know the website link for gumtree?

Also, any fruit and veggie markets nearby?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 5:55 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
australia has Garage Sales, not car boot sales... People put their crap in their garage and YOU drive to them... Advertised in your local freepaper and on Gumtree...

But TBH.... If you're getting stuff for your new rental... Gumtree is the best... But get a car first
Every now and again the odd car boot sale pops up but it's true, garage sales are more the norm here.

Trouble is, you have to get up at the crack of dawn ('bout 4 am) to go through the Saturday paper and try to beat the dealers to anything decent... and in a young country, cracking an antique in a garage sale is like finding hens teeth.

I have had a couple of wins but they're few and far between. I guess that's what makes it all worth while when you find something special.

Enjoy, when you're mobile... in the meantime, fete's and markets sometimes have interesting trash and treasure stalls and are possibly easier to get to without wheels.

Good Luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I havent been to a garage sale in MONTHs ... Apart from the one on the way home from a nightshift a few weeks ago where I got. Brand new in its box never used Magimix Le Micro.... $200 of kit for $20

I picked up a Fireball XL5 jigsaw in mint condition for 20cts too

the BEST thing about australian garage sales is they dont know what they DO have....

yhe stuff they put high prices on is the crap no one wants....

Jeez... i've been SO good not spending money and now I want to go to one...

And round here you dont have to get up at sparrows fart to get the good stuff..
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our High School has a car boot sale every Sunday. Just saying..... No where near Connolly though
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You're not likely to find fruit & veg much cheaper than Coles or Woolies unless you go to Spud Shed at the Wanneroo markets. It's cheap, but mostly you get what you pay for. Not the best quality but if you intend to eat it pretty much straight away you'll be alright. If you want really nice fruit & veg try Drover's at the corner of Wanneroo Rd & Joondalup Dr. It's got a great butcher shop, seafood shop & produce all under one roof.

What kind of bits & pieces do you need for your place? We're downsizing (actually, I want to have a major clear-out).

It's winter now so probably not much going on for garage sales at the moment. Get yourself a copy of the Quokka for a listing.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You're not likely to find fruit & veg much cheaper than Coles or Woolies unless you go to Spud Shed at the Wanneroo markets. It's cheap, but mostly you get what you pay for. Not the best quality but if you intend to eat it pretty much straight away you'll be alright. If you want really nice fruit & veg try Drover's at the corner of Wanneroo Rd & Joondalup Dr. It's got a great butcher shop, seafood shop & produce all under one roof.

What kind of bits & pieces do you need for your place? We're downsizing (actually, I want to have a major clear-out).

It's winter now so probably not much going on for garage sales at the moment. Get yourself a copy of the Quokka for a listing.
GUMTREE GUMTREE GUMTREE GUMTREE

Just brought TWO matching pine dining tables for $100 to sit my quilting frame on... HE was going to make me a workbench type thang.... Would have cost him that in materials from Bunnings... AND they have a handy draw in each end to stash stuff...... And when I get bored of quilting I can resell them... Like THAT is ever going to happen
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

GUMTREE GUMTREE GUMTREE GUMTREE

Just brought TWO matching pine dining tables for $100 to sit my quilting frame on... HE was going to make me a workbench type thang.... Would have cost him that in materials from Bunnings... AND they have a handy draw in each end to stash stuff...... And when I get bored of quilting I can resell them... Like THAT is ever going to happen
But did you get a Bunnings sausage with them? At least my old man buys me a sausage (with extra onions) when we go to Bunnings.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Buggar all in Connolly I am afraid. Wanneroo markets the closest for cheap and as a previous poster has said Drovers for quality but not cheap. Gumtree is your best bet for second hand stuff.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

For second-hand stuff, look on internet for 'swap meet' or 'swap mart'. Regular ones are held at Karrinyup shopping centre http://www.karrinyupcentre.com.au/Co...itiatives.aspx, every Sunday except when shopping centre open. Also at Joondalup http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/Explo...6-d28d093fc028. Not sure if Whitfords one is still operating. More listed at http://www.perthwalkabout.com/things...cond-hand.html.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Garage sales aren't as profitable as you don't get that continuous file of people walking past, where you always get some sales on the spur of the moment. When we did a garage sale we advertised well and still had a poor turnout and a load of stuff left at the end of it - very disappointing. We always did well at our car boot sales in the UK however.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Think it depends on where you live... As to how "well" you do... As well as realistic prices... People want something for nothing... So the emphasis at garage sales is GET RID OF IT... No matter how cheap you let it go... Gumtree is more... Its for sale but I want a fair price... Also... gumtree ypu KNOW what you are going to look at... Anything can turn up at a garage sale... You cant go with a shopping list and buy what you need... Much more hit n miss... And more crap... Less furniture etc...

Living in shockingham garage sales are VERY popular... Probably not so many in Peppermint Grove... Or in the newer northern burbs... Most people clear out their crap BRFORE they move to a new build.... Or immigrate lol