Car Bargaining

Old May 19th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Car Bargaining

Hey All

Just wanted some advice off you experts

If I was buying a used car for around 25k on the road. How much should i be looking at really paying for it after a bit of haggling.

Will be paying cash and nothing to trade in.

Thanks in advance

Paddy
Old May 19th 2009, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future
Default Re: Car Bargaining

I have been looking at getting a car here in Vic. Not as much as you, more like $15k. So far very few want to drop their price by much either private or dealers. Dealers say the internet price (one I tend to quote, rather than visit dealers on spec) is low already, otherwise they get no enquiries.

Private people don't seem bothered if their car is for sale for months or weeks. You need a road worthy (RWC) (ie equivalent to MOT), when selling which lasts for 30 days, but a lot of people get this when the sale is agreed. I have noticed lots of people have new windscreens, brakes, tyres etc and am worried garages do their best to make a lot of bucks each time. We have a car to sell/trade in. Dealers tell me to sell it private to get a better price! But then we may have to pay $500 for a load of 'repairs' !

Wife wants a SUV and for the popular ones, eg CRV, RAV4, X-Trail a 2006 model will be at least $20K. Often you will have to pay 4% stamp duty on top unless it is on the road costs ie driveaway price. Depending on what you want you might want to think new and get a base model for $30k.

I want a boring hatch, maybe a focus. 2006 models costs may $17-18k, new I could get for $19k driveaway. Private prices are not always any better, plus you have more risk and stamp duty. Plus check the rego if not new as this is $600 in Vic.

Recession doesn't seem to have affected car prices here, even though the ads are full of dealers end of year sales. Financial year here is end of June, so I am hoping next month there may be more clearance deals around.

Have a look at http://www.carsales.com.au

Last edited by carlap; May 19th 2009 at 11:06 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:15 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Hey All

If I was buying a used car for around 25k on the road. How much should i be looking at really paying for it after a bit of haggling.

Thanks in advance

Paddy
Whats your address mate i'll pop around and have a chat with you if you like ?

Dougie
Old May 21st 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carlap
I have been looking at getting a car here in Vic. Not as much as you, more like $15k. So far very few want to drop their price by much either private or dealers. Dealers say the internet price (one I tend to quote, rather than visit dealers on spec) is low already, otherwise they get no enquiries.

Private people don't seem bothered if their car is for sale for months or weeks. You need a road worthy (RWC) (ie equivalent to MOT), when selling which lasts for 30 days, but a lot of people get this when the sale is agreed. I have noticed lots of people have new windscreens, brakes, tyres etc and am worried garages do their best to make a lot of bucks each time. We have a car to sell/trade in. Dealers tell me to sell it private to get a better price! But then we may have to pay $500 for a load of 'repairs' !

Wife wants a SUV and for the popular ones, eg CRV, RAV4, X-Trail a 2006 model will be at least $20K. Often you will have to pay 4% stamp duty on top unless it is on the road costs ie driveaway price. Depending on what you want you might want to think new and get a base model for $30k.

I want a boring hatch, maybe a focus. 2006 models costs may $17-18k, new I could get for $19k driveaway. Private prices are not always any better, plus you have more risk and stamp duty. Plus check the rego if not new as this is $600 in Vic.

Recession doesn't seem to have affected car prices here, even though the ads are full of dealers end of year sales. Financial year here is end of June, so I am hoping next month there may be more clearance deals around.

Thanks Carlap

Paddy
Old May 21st 2009, 3:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying a new tactic. I'm emailing dealers with what I want and asking them to give me a price. I'll take the lowest and see if the others will beat it. When I get the lowest price, I'll see if A1 brokers will go lower. I can't be arsed with dealing with these people in person and I'm going to see how far I can push it given the state of the economy and the end of the FY.
Old May 21st 2009, 8:44 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Hey All

Thanks in advance

Paddy
At the moment look for just under 10%, IF THEY DON'T GO FOR IT, WALK AWAY there are 1,000;S of other dealers wanting your money !
Old May 21st 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brisben
At the moment look for just under 10%, IF THEY DON'T GO FOR IT, WALK AWAY there are 1,000;S of other dealers wanting your money !
Cheers for that

Paddy
Old May 21st 2009, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

I am quite happy to ask for money off etc. We got $100's off furniture white goods etc. But car dealers don't seem bothered. I have been to loads, main dealers, car city, little garages. Price is too high I say, need something to make the deal etc, even asking for them to stump up stamp duty (4%) and they just say no ! Don't offer anything. I say its just out of budget and walk off and they let me go.

Like I said in previous post, they tell me the internet price is the lowest they can do, otherwise people don't bother to enquire.

Have not tried with new cars, as we don't really want to buy new.

Been here about 8 months, but don't tell them that, so its not just off the boat rip-off scenario.

Any advice, glad to hear it
Old May 21st 2009, 11:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap

Yeah, but you'll get way more selling privately. We were offered $10K for our 5 year old X trail (dealers just don't want them!) we spent $700 on it and got $15,500!

You have to pay stamp at a dealer too. Unless its stated as "on road price" You can also come to an arrangement with your private seller.....

You still have to pay stamp! If you get it RACV inspected its all good, it costs around $175 ish, and yes rego is worth checking, just like the tax disc in the UK. But again at a dealer unless its stated as "on road" this will be added on too.

Totally agree with you.

For self employed people theres a 30% owners grant to, but I'm still looking into how this works, but I'm pretty sure its NEW cars only that it will apply to.
Old May 21st 2009, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
You might be able to get more at the moment. Ford are offering $7k off a $40k Mondeo, which is 18%. There are other deals too.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm trying a new tactic. I'm emailing dealers with what I want and asking them to give me a price. I'll take the lowest and see if the others will beat it. When I get the lowest price, I'll see if A1 brokers will go lower. I can't be arsed with dealing with these people in person and I'm going to see how far I can push it given the state of the economy and the end of the FY.
Let me know how you go with that. We will buying a Landrover this year but with there only being 1 dealer are probably restricted trying your tactics. Would your recommend A1?
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by northernbird
Let me know how you go with that. We will buying a Landrover this year but with there only being 1 dealer are probably restricted trying your tactics. Would your recommend A1?
I've never used them but they have a good rep. If they can beat the lowest quote from a dealer then they must be worth a look.

I'm quite interested in the Defender. Another couple of years with the Navara and I'll probably get one.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've never used them but they have a good rep. If they can beat the lowest quote from a dealer then they must be worth a look.

I'm quite interested in the Defender. Another couple of years with the Navara and I'll probably get one.
We are going to get a Discovery, there is a new one coming out in September so we think we will hold out for that. You have used car brokers before though haven't you?
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:29 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We are going to get a Discovery, there is a new one coming out in September so we think we will hold out for that. You have used car brokers before though haven't you?
No offence but a discovery ! How about a Prado now that is a quality vehicle.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I would push for more than 10% in that price bracket - are you looking new or used?

We bought new at Christmas time at around that price and got near 20% off, we had come out of the dealership next door, told them we were buying a car that day and it was between them and the chaps next door. Were straight with them, said what we were willing to pay next door for a lower end car. They ummed and ah'd for ages going backwards and forwards into a little glass office and playing all sorts of charades. But in the end we went up a bit, they came down a lot and we got the car we wanted.

Its worth pushing them, cars are just not selling at the moment. Its also worth playing the games with them. They always say things like, if you sign today we'll give it to you for this much. So you do the same, use their selling techniques against them. It is just a car, so you can always walk away and try a different dealer next time. Its good practice.

The finance lady we spoke with after, said it was the only sale they had in two weeks!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.