British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Canoes/kayaks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/canoes-kayaks-567229/)

NKSK version 2 Oct 15th 2008 3:06 am

Canoes/kayaks

Thinking of getting one. Needs to fit me and two kids in. River and (calm) sea.

Anybody got any experiences to share? Worth it or does it sit in your garage after two outings? Recommendations? Perth specific would be great but general also welcomed.

Hutch Oct 15th 2008 3:09 am

Re: Canoes/kayaks

Been having similar unclean thoughts myself. Will be interested in the feedback you get. It's ideal round here because we're right on the Shoalhaven River and close to beaches like Seven Mile and Jervis Bay.

sasbear Oct 15th 2008 3:19 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 6875615)

Anybody got any experiences to share? Worth it or does it sit in your garage after two outings? Recommendations? Perth specific would be great but general also welcomed.

Yes - get the sit on ones - they are very stable and not too heavy to lift onto the roof rack - I have attached a picture of the one we bought recently - - it is a 2 and a half person (small person) one.

annqldau Oct 15th 2008 3:21 am

We have 2 of the Looksha 17 see here

They also do 2 man etc. Good kayak, well made, fast, relatively stable and useable

sasbear Oct 15th 2008 3:25 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6875620)
Been having similar unclean thoughts myself. Will be interested in the feedback you get. It's ideal round here because we're right on the Shoalhaven River and close to beaches like Seven Mile and Jervis Bay.

Plenty of lakes here in Canberra and also down the coast to go out on - I have attached a larger picture here - before we went out on the lake. It has space for a few tinnies in front of the seats and great back rests.

Scubaemma Oct 15th 2008 5:44 am

We're thinking of getting one too. Would you people who know what you're doing recommend getting a 2-man one? (We are 2 adults) or individual ones?

Any recommendations on where to go kayaking in/around Brisbane?

We've only really done it on holidays but always fancied taking it up a bit more.

NKSK version 2 Oct 15th 2008 6:03 am

Originally Posted by sasbear (Post 6875645)
Yes - get the sit on ones - they are very stable and not too heavy to lift onto the roof rack - I have attached a picture of the one we bought recently - - it is a 2 and a half person (small person) one.

Thanks - how much did you pay? Are you enjoying it?

annqldau Oct 15th 2008 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 6875901)
We're thinking of getting one too. Would you people who know what you're doing recommend getting a 2-man one? (We are 2 adults) or individual ones?

We've only really done it on holidays but always fancied taking it up a bit more.

Lots of good paddles on this site for around Brisbane http://www.upstreampaddle.com/canoe_guidebook.html

As for which Kayak it depends what you intend to do, if you intend going for longer runs I'd go for an enclosed 2 person or two enclosed 1 person ones personally.

Scubaemma Oct 15th 2008 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 6876180)
Lots of good paddles on this site for around Brisbane http://www.upstreampaddle.com/canoe_guidebook.html

As for which Kayak it depends what you intend to do, if you intend going for longer runs I'd go for an enclosed 2 person or two enclosed 1 person ones personally.

Brilliant! Thanks v much.

Ozzy dog Oct 16th 2008 1:37 am

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some of our Sea Kayak - gets lots of use, take it camping / Raby Bay etc.

This is Hubby, but they are so stable even I have ventured into it at Noosa. The one person can fit an adult and child as well. Looked into getting a two person, I had ideas of sitting there letting hubby do all the work. However we thought the one person sit on would be easier to lift etc.

Tracey

annqldau Oct 16th 2008 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 6875901)

We found Jason at the kayak shop on Bribie Island to be EXTREMELY helpful when we were buying ours...(and he did us a good deal)

Stella340 Oct 16th 2008 7:21 am

3 Attachment(s)
We got a Viking Nemo 2+1. It's great :thumbsup:
Hubby also just got an Aqua Sling so we can hang it up in the garage now.

Scubaemma Oct 16th 2008 7:31 am

How difficult are they to get on top of your car to transport them? Can they go on any (normal sized) car?

Stella340 Oct 16th 2008 7:42 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 6880391)
How difficult are they to get on top of your car to transport them? Can they go on any (normal sized) car?

Easy! Hubby and I usually lift it on and off together but I'm pregnant now so don't do the lifting just in case but hubby can manage it himself if I help a bit.
We've got a Camry.

worzel Oct 16th 2008 8:59 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 6875615)

Viking and Finn to try days a couple of times per year on the river. That may be the way to make a choice.