Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can you build roots in a new country?

Can you build roots in a new country?

Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you build roots in a new country?

Originally Posted by alexleeson
After living in Melbourne for 8 years - I have had a sense of community, a beautiful home, good friends but never roots. I just considered my roots as where my wife and kids are but in reality it is more than that. I tried very hard to settle, but I haven't felt settled at all. I have been a fish out of water the whole time.

I left the UK 15 years ago, lived in Switzerland and Singapore because I had a sense of excitement to live in different places. I decided to settle here but despite never feeling very British (I was a citizen of the world), the weirdest thing happened in Oz - I felt so very British and proud of it. I have even made sure my kids didn't pick up the ozzie accent as I couldn't stand the thought of my kids talking like an Ozzie.

I have never called Australia home - in fact when people would use the word 'home' in a question, I would often get confused because in my mind I wasn't home - I was just in Melbourne.

Now I am going back (not entirely out of choice, as I have not been able to find work for 13 months), and I feel so at peace to be finally settling back in the UK. I am in effect, going home. It has been 15 years though and I know I will miss Oz a bit.
Would it be correct to say that roots are one's culture or...?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Indeed. After 7 years I have considerably more roots here than anywhere else. (this thread is in danger of becoming inappropriate )

BB
How long did it take you to feel like that? That you had roots?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolina212
I think so, for me.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can you build roots in a new country?

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
How long did it take you to feel like that? That you had roots?
Good question. Not been asked that before.

I felt "at home" before I even permanently arrived, but I think that is more a state of mind than a geographical location.

I would say it took 2 - 3 years to have roots, ie sense of belonging in the community and identifiable history with people / places.

I think it also helps that we have always lived in the same suburb since we moved here and I have always worked for the same employer.

BB
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you build roots in a new county?

Some can, some can't is the simple answer I guess.

We are firmly in the can't camp now unfortunately which does make us sad because Australia is a beautiful place but we lost our way a bit probably 2 years ago and have been struggling on ever since. Our marriage has suffered also from the last 2 years.

We were determined for so long to make Australia work for us and put down roots, against what we were feeling. Once we finally accepted the reality it was like flicking a switch and the sun coming out again.

All of our focus is on getting back to the UK now which is scary but exciting also.

Also this time we have decided to burn our bridges, won't be renewing visa's and I doubt I will ever step foot on Australian soil again. I have done and seen all I want to see. The memories of the last 2 years will last a life time, been some really dark periods, this will guard against any potential ping or pong.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 2:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jon77
Interesting isn't it.

We've been here in NZ for ten years and I feel no roots whatsoever. I don't feel a connection to the place at all. It looks lovely and there is nothing wrong with the place but it doesn't sing to my soul at all.

We have good friends. I'm in and belong to a good community. We live in a lovely little village.

However , here is just where I live and make the most of but do I feel connected as in roots? No.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 2:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by carolina212
No. I don't think so. Some people step onto the soil of their new chosen country and simply feel 'home. That it feels right for them.

It's about love. If you love the place you are in or you grow to love the place you are in , then roots will grow.

I don't love where I am. I like it well enough but it doesn't make me zing at all.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
No. I don't think so. Some people step onto the soil of their new chosen country and simply feel 'home. That it feels right for them.

It's about love. If you love the place you are in or you grow to love the place you are in , then roots will grow.

I don't love where I am. I like it well enough but it doesn't make me zing at all.

It's probably easier for most of those that marry into a country, as half of your new family are from your newly adopted home. As long as you get a good reception though. My kids are now 50pct 6th or 7th Gen Aussies, complete with extensive family history.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's probably easier for most of those that marry into a country, as half of your new family are from your newly adopted home. As long as you get a good reception though. My kids are now 50pct 6th or 7th Gen Aussies, complete with extensive family history.
My wife has close family here, although has spent a number of years living in the UK.

The other half having family here hasn't help us at all. Many issues with manipulative no good types who put too much unfair pressure on her from my point of view. Time some other people took more of the strain that was placed on her, not her / our battles and quite frankly I am ****ing done with the lot of em and hope I never have to cross paths with them again.

Family eh I close my ears to the bickering now, but couldn't for so long.

I was seriously thinking of Ireland as a neutral country where neither of us have any family to chase us around and we can finally get the peace and quiet that I don't feel we have had for 2 years!!!!!

Last edited by Jon77; Sep 5th 2014 at 6:16 am.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:12 am
Just Joined

urno2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in Qld 7 years, with no family here, all in UK. Husband works long hours and I'm not great at making friends. Two kids (one with special needs) so it gets very lonely. Family always been putting pressure on me to move home, for 7 years I've been here. Sometimes it feels as if we should go back, but we moved here to give children better 'life' and that still remains. My view is that WE are laying down roots for OUR little family, so yes, it's so hard for me, but my kids and grandkids will benefit. Reasons we left UK are still going to be there if we go back.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can you build roots in a new country?

Originally Posted by urno2002
Reasons we left UK are still going to be there if we go back.

BB
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by urno2002
I've been in Qld 7 years, with no family here, all in UK. Husband works long hours and I'm not great at making friends. Two kids (one with special needs) so it gets very lonely. Family always been putting pressure on me to move home, for 7 years I've been here. Sometimes it feels as if we should go back, but we moved here to give children better 'life' and that still remains. My view is that WE are laying down roots for OUR little family, so yes, it's so hard for me, but my kids and grandkids will benefit. Reasons we left UK are still going to be there if we go back.
I admire people like you. I hope things get less lonely, and that *you* start to feel happier, as well
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:43 am
Just Joined

urno2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooh, I'm a little emotional now! Nice to hear somebody say that what we're doing is 'good' rather than 'bad'!! Sometimes I know what we're doing is right and other times, esp after I've spoken to parents in UK, who are missing us, I feel as if I'm hurting everyone. Families eh?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 5:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Poms stress about this too much

Just live your lives and get on with it

Chill
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77

We are firmly in the can't camp now unfortunately which does make us sad because Australia is a beautiful place but we lost our way a bit probably 2 years ago and have been struggling on ever since. Our marriage has suffered also from the last 2 years.

We were determined for so long to make Australia work for us and put down roots, against what we were feeling. Once we finally accepted the reality it was like flicking a switch and the sun coming out again.

All of our focus is on getting back to the UK now which is scary but exciting also.

Also this time we have decided to burn our bridges, won't be renewing visa's and I doubt I will ever step foot on Australian soil again. I have done and seen all I want to see. The memories of the last 2 years will last a life time, been some really dark periods, this will guard against any potential ping or pong.
Its interesting really, I grew up in Australia and love many aspects of life there but never really thought of it as home but rather just somewhere I was living. We all feel so much more relaxed and at home here and cant honestly see us returning to Australia as the reasons we left will still be there. As you say some can and some cant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.