Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can my bad credit history in Australia affect me in UK ?

Wikiposts

Can my bad credit history in Australia affect me in UK ?

Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

amitbajwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my bad credit history in Australia affect me in UK ?

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question if anyone can please help me on this. I am really worried about my Australian credit history.

Basically, I lived in Sydney Australia for 1 year in 1998 and had a very clean credit history during that time, and went back to India after 1 year stay (with no debts and still with a very good credit history).

But few years later one of the guys I shared house during my stay in Australia told me that another guy in the same house had used my post and stolen my identity. And he then used it to get number of car loans and credit cards.

I am not sure where my Australian credit history stands at the moment and how much credit has been taken using my identity. I am now living in UK for last few years (came on skilled immigration from India and didn’t have any issues in getting the UK visa). I have an excellent credit history in UK and don’t owe any money to any bank etc.

Please can someone advise:

1. Can my bad Australian Credit History affect my life and immigration in UK?

2. Should I contact the Australian authorities and inform them about this? If yes, who should I contact?

3. I have the proof (entry and exit on my passport) that I stayed for 1 year and never owned any money to anyone during this time. All this happened after a left Australia.

4. I heard that court sends letters looking for the person if a credit has not been paid for years. If court is involved in my case would this affect my life in UK in any way?

5. Lastly, if I contact the Australian Credit Agency (Veda) asking for my credit file (as I don’t know if this is all true, and if it’s true then how much I owe) would they cause me any problem like would they inform the authorities which can affect me in UK?

Your help will be really appreciated.

Regards,
Amit
Old Dec 14th 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Saracen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can my bad credit history in Australia affect me in UK ?

First check if that is true or not.
Then if it is true I believe you should work to clear your name.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Saracen
First check if that is true or not.
Then if it is true I believe you should work to clear your name.
Thanks for your reply Sarace, suppose it's true as I trust the guy who told me, would it affect me in UK in anyway ?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:13 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amitbajwa
Thanks for your reply Sarace, suppose it's true as I trust the guy who told me, would it affect me in UK in anyway ?
No it shouldn't affect you in the UK at all.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
No it shouldn't affect you in the UK at all.
Thanks TiddlyPom,

regards,
Farzad
Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Default Can my bad credit history in Australia affect me in UK ?

Hi,

I lived in Australia for a year in 1998 and I might be a victim of identity theft. (Someone I shared home with told me recently).

I am now living in UK and want to know can my bad credit history in Australia affect my immigration and life in UK? Even if Oz authorities find out that I am living in UK ?

Regards,
Amit
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amitbajwa
Hi,

I lived in Australia for a year in 1998 and I might be a victim of identity theft. (Someone I shared home with told me recently).

I am now living in UK and want to know can my bad credit history in Australia affect my immigration and life in UK? Even if Oz authorities find out that I am living in UK ?

Regards,
Amit
I have merged your two threads together, and moved them out of the Immigration forum as they are not connected to the process of getting a visa.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have merged your two threads together, and moved them out of the Immigration forum as they are not connected to the process of getting a visa.
Thanks Pollyana