Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can I take a cab anywhere anytime by a call from my mobile phone? or not?

Can I take a cab anywhere anytime by a call from my mobile phone? or not?

Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question Can I take a cab anywhere anytime by a call from my mobile phone? or not?

Hi,

I am moving from Perth to Gold Coast one month later. My plan is to fly to Brisbane first . When I get Brisbane I will take Airtrain to Nerang station in Gold Coast.

Note that I will be at Nerang station eighter 7:35 AM or 8:05 AM.

MY QUESTION IS THAT: Could I be 100% sure that I will be able to take a cab from the Nerang station to the accomodation I have booked by calling the cab company from my MOBILE PHONE? Or maybe the cab companies only send their cabs to the customers who called them from a LAND LINE?

I will be very tired when I reach Nerang station and I dont want any more hassle at that time!

Thank you very much in advance,

Last edited by BARDI77; Jun 6th 2009 at 5:14 am.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I take a cab anywhere anytime by a call from my mobile phone? or not?

Originally Posted by BARDI77
Hi,

I am moving from Perth to Gold Coast one month later. My plan is to fly to Brisbane first . When I get Brisbane I will take Airtrain to Nerang station in Gold Coast.

Note that I will be at Nerang station eighter 7:35 AM or 8:05 AM.

MY QUESTION IS THAT: Could I be 100% sure that I will be able to take a cab from the Nerang station to the accomodation I have booked by calling the cab company from my MOBILE PHONE? Or maybe the cab companies only send their cabs to the customers who called them from a LAND LINE?

I will be very tired when I reach Nerang station and I dont want any more hassle at that time!

Thank you very much in advance,
I've called cabs from Nerang by mobile before. In fact 90% of the cabs I call in Brisbane I call by mobile. Many people I knwo don't even have landlines any more, so I wouldn't worry
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can I take a cab anywhere anytime by a call from my mobile phone? or not?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've called cabs from Nerang by mobile before. In fact 90% of the cabs I call in Brisbane I call by mobile. Many people I knwo don't even have landlines any more, so I wouldn't worry
Thank you for your prompt reply.

So you think there is no need to book or notify them of my intention to hire their cab beforehand ? Specially because it will be my first day in QLD and I will have never used their service before that day?

In other words, shouldn't I notify them when I am still in Perth?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for your prompt reply.

So you think there is no need to book or notify them of my intention to hire their cab beforehand ? Specially because it will be my first day in QLD and I will have never used their service before that day?

In other words, shouldn't I notify them when I am still in Perth?
I've never heard of having to "notify" a cab firm of your intent to use them!

You may find, too, that there are cabs sitting outside the station anyway. Just hop in one of them and you're sorted.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:15 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
I've never heard of having to "notify" a cab firm of your intent to use them!

You may find, too, that there are cabs sitting outside the station anyway. Just hop in one of them and you're sorted.
Never seen any around the Nerang station when I've used it. Around the time that the OP wants one, they'll probably be busy ferrying kids to school or adults to work, unless it's on a weekend when they'll be taking all the drunks home from the Cavill Ave.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 6th 2009 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Never seen any around the Nerang station when I've used it. Around the time that the OP wants one, they'll probably be busy ferrying kids to school or adults to work, unless it;s on a weekend when they'll be taking all the drunks home from the Cavill Ave.
Ah fair enough... I have no idea where Nerang is to be honest - you can tell I live in a city LOL, taxis everywhere!

I still don't understand the whole "phoning the cab firm beforehand to inform them of my intent to use them though" - what's that all about??
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TillyG
Ah fair enough... I have no idea where Nerang is to be honest - you can tell I live in a city LOL, taxis everywhere!

I still don't understand the whole "phoning the cab firm beforehand to inform them of my intent to use them though" - what's that all about??
I am coming from a country which fake taxi calls are a lot! It will be my first time that I take a cab in Gold Coast. So I thought maybe the cab company would want more identification for someone calling from a mobile phone for the first time asking for a cab!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Never seen any around the Nerang station when I've used it. Around the time that the OP wants one, they'll probably be busy ferrying kids to school or adults to work, unless it's on a weekend when they'll be taking all the drunks home from the Cavill Ave.

So what do you propose me to do? Is it possible that I can't get a cab if I call the cab company due to the fact that the drivers are busy on friday morning ? Would it solve this problem if I get off the train in Robina Station instead of Nerang Station? ( I guess that in Robina there MAY some cabbies around waiting for passengers because it is the last Airtrain station ).

Last edited by BARDI77; Jun 7th 2009 at 1:05 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you propose me to do? Is it possible that I can't get a cab if I call the cab company due to the fact that the drivers are busy on friday morning ? Would it solve this problem if I get off the train in Robina Station instead of Nerang Station? ( I guess that in Robina there MAY some cabbies around waiting for passengers because it is the last Airtrain station ).
Robina is more likely to have cabs - and buses - waiting than Nerang, as it is busier and used by more backpackers. However if you arrive in the rush hour at either station you will have a wait.
Phoning in advance in probably not such a good plan - what if you miss the train, train is delayed etc?
Wait till you get to whichever station you choose, then if there is no cab there, phone from the station - 131924. You may even find the station has a direct line to the cab firm, many Brisbane stations do now but don't worry about ringing from a mobile, thats what most people here use.

Tilly - Nerang is on the Gold Coast - inland from Surfers.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wait till you get to whichever station you choose, then if there is no cab there, phone from the station - 131924.

Thanks Mate, that helped
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exclamation Re: Can I take a cab anywhere anytime by a call from my mobile phone? or not?

Robina is more likely to have cabs - and buses - waiting than Nerang, as it is busier and used by more backpackers. However if you arrive in the rush hour at either station you will have a wait.
Phoning in advance in probably not such a good plan - what if you miss the train, train is delayed etc?
Wait till you get to whichever station you choose, then if there is no cab there, phone from the station - 131924. You may even find the station has a direct line to the cab firm, many Brisbane stations do now but don't worry about ringing from a mobile, thats what most people here use.

Tilly - Nerang is on the Gold Coast - inland from Surfers.

Finally I decide to stay at airport terminal untill 7:00 A.M before taking Airtrain. Accordingly I will be at Nerang station at 8:30.

Are cabbies busy at 8:30 A.M as well ?

What if I leave airport at 7:30 and reach Nerang station at 9:00 A.M.? Will I still encounter problems taking a cab? Are they busy still at 9:00 A.M. ?

Thnks
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:57 pm
Home and Happy

Finally I decide to stay at airport terminal untill 7:00 A.M before taking Airtrain. Accordingly I will be at Nerang station at 8:30.

What if I leave airport at 7:30 and reach Nerang station at 9:00 A.M.? Will I still encounter problems taking a cab? Are they busy still at 9:00 A.M. ?

Thnks
Now you're getting into the realms of questions to which the answer is "how long is a piece of strong" - impossible to tell, depends on too many factors on that specific day.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 7:57 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thnks
phone and book the cab (131008)
once you are on the train you will know roughly what time you will arrive.
most cabs will be busy at that time, so book it!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:10 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

what area are you heading to?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soapy©
what area are you heading to?
Hi soapy,

I am going to Surfers Paradise, How come?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.