Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Can any teachers help with NAPLAN result questions?

Can any teachers help with NAPLAN result questions?

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:51 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can any teachers help with NAPLAN result questions?

Originally Posted by northernbird
Must be your Mac because MySchool works perfectly well on mine.
Great. Thanks for your input.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
You're most welcome.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Do you use Chrome? It will only work with Explorer on our PC.......
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Thanks for that, I've never heard of it. Do I ask the school for a copy?
Yes, the information is provided to the school but is only available to parents through discussion with the class teacher (according to Education Measurement).
There can be a problem at primary school, where the child has the same teacher for most subjects, if they simply don't get on with each other. Steve Biddulph says “boys learn teachers, not subjects” and I have found this to be true.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually
Yes, the information is provided to the school but is only available to parents through discussion with the class teacher (according to Education Measurement).
There can be a problem at primary school, where the child has the same teacher for most subjects, if they simply don't get on with each other. Steve Biddulph says “boys learn teachers, not subjects” and I have found this to be true.
Absolutely true and in the majority of cohorts females outperform males quite significantly.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
If you're confident about that then spend $500 with an appropriate psychologist and get him tested. There are a number of different standard for testing depending on age and the situation different tests might be used (WISC4/WIAT/SB5).

We had our duaghter tested with WISC/WIAT to determine a) What her mental strengths and inherent capabilities were (IQ) and b) How her learnt skills are relative to her peers. We were quite surprised by the findings and more than the simple quantified 'results' of the testing it was the comments and recommendations of the psychologist that wer of most interest.

Her school, after reading the report and a few discussions agreed to push her up a year and allow her access to pretty much all of the extension 'break-out' classes to try and help keep her busy.

As far as I can tell by talking to lots of parents of 'gifted' kids school vary alot in how they are prepared to handle things - but good schools WILL make provisions provided you give them quantified evidence to satisfy the bureacracy.
With my professional head on - if it's anything like my experience of learning difficulties in this country, parents have to do the leg work unless it's extreme either way..........mega bucks and infuriating!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually
I wouldn't mind knobbing my son's teacher, she's very tasty.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

If you're confident about that then spend $500 with an appropriate psychologist and get him tested. There are a number of different standard for testing depending on age and the situation different tests might be used (WISC4/WIAT/SB5).

We had our duaghter tested with WISC/WIAT to determine a) What her mental strengths and inherent capabilities were (IQ) and b) How her learnt skills are relative to her peers. We were quite surprised by the findings and more than the simple quantified 'results' of the testing it was the comments and recommendations of the psychologist that wer of most interest.
The PP teacher referred him to the school psych for testing, but it didn't get done that year, and they said it would be done early in Year 1. I checked in about March and found out that the Year 1 teacher told the school psych to not bother. Luckily he did well in Year 2, winning the class prize and again in Year 3, so his brightness and hard work were recognised. Then came nightmare Year 4, and we paid to have him tested (WISC) and it confirmed that everyone already knew - except the Year 4 teacher, who just ignored it. Some teachers should just be sacked and banned from working with children.

Her school, after reading the report and a few discussions agreed to push her up a year and allow her access to pretty much all of the extension 'break-out' classes to try and help keep her busy.

As far as I can tell by talking to lots of parents of 'gifted' kids school vary alot in how they are prepared to handle things - but good schools WILL make provisions provided you give them quantified evidence to satisfy the bureacracy.
At our school, it's terrible for bright kids, and I would say that it's not good for every other kid. At last the penny is beginning to drop for a lot of parents, not just the parents of the bright kids. There seems to be a great deal of resentment of the bright kids, so their parents have a secret underground club of support for each other and the kids.

My poor lad had a terrible time last year, as did most of the boys unfortunate enough to have this teacher. We had high hopes for this year, but instead of the bright shiny star teacher we were promised, yet another dud. I fail to understand how these teachers can believe that the work is at the right level, it's not, perhaps only for the kids who struggle a bit. In fact, it's not good enough for them either. A couple of months ago I managed to get out of him why he had pretty much stopped doing any work at school, except for the stupidly easy spelling he was given and the stupidly easy maths. The totally useless, vindictive w*@2#! Year 4 teacher psychologically traumatised him:curse:. He's now pretty much lost this year at school as well.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
He had a bad Term 1 interim report and a bad Semester 1 report. I had to alert them to the bad Term 1 report and about 3 weeks later they contacted me to go to a meeting to warn me about the Semester 1 report and poor NAPLAN results. They literally rehearsed NAPLAN answers all of Term 1 and right up to the tests themselves in Term 2. It seems to me as if the NAPLAN scores are valued by the teachers because it looks like they are doing a good job, if the results are good.

I have heard a whisper or two that the school's results are not that good and quite a few parents are not happy about their children's results.

His NAPLAN results seems to show that he has made no progress in reading or spelling, has improved on grammar & punctuation, and has fallen behind in writing and numeracy. This is all compared to the school and national averages, not looking at the band level, ie he has made no progress and others have.
Just a thought as I couldn't help noticing the Eek's in your posts after the numeracy result. I have a strongly held belief that kids who's generally perform badly in numeracy will 'suffer' a similar trend in other areas of study eventually. For such kids personal maths tuition for a year or two would be beneficial as it instills confidence. At least that's my experience with one of my sprogs - who (in my opinion independant of what her teacher or maths naplan test results suggested) seemed to be struggling for a while. I kept insisting on the tuition and glad to report all is well with her schooling.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rajj
Just a thought as I couldn't help noticing the Eek's in your posts after the numeracy result. I have a strongly held belief that kids who's generally perform badly in numeracy will 'suffer' a similar trend in other areas of study eventually. For such kids personal maths tuition for a year or two would be beneficial as it instills confidence. At least that's my experience with one of my sprogs - who (in my opinion independant of what her teacher or maths naplan test results suggested) seemed to be struggling for a while. I kept insisting on the tuition and glad to report all is well with her schooling.
He does go to tuition for maths and English. Initially he found it difficult, as he hasn't had to use his brain for a couple of years, but for a few weeks now he's really enjoying the satisfaction of learning something new. Still having a few problems with writing stories, but slowly improving. The worst thing is that he was always a kid with great language skills, but he is still getting over the cruel moron last year and this year's one is no better, except there's less humiliation and bullying in class.

This school really hates it when kids go to tutoring. They make negative comments to you, about you to other parents and teachers, but worse of all, they make negative comments to the kids themselves. This is all an effort to undermine you and your child. My son and another child have both had the class teacher may comments like, "it's bad going to tutors, they're not proper teachers" and "tutoring is not good for you, you should be taught by teachers in schools". The irony goes right over their heads.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Narrow minded bigotry seems rife.
Cann you change schools rather than struggle on with this one?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Narrow minded bigotry seems rife.
Cann you change schools rather than struggle on with this one?
He just doesn't want to move away from his friends, and he is a bit shy, also not that good at sports, a bit on the small side. There are several families in the same position, which is why we have a underground support club. Unfortunately the principal lies when parents go to interviews with him about enrolment - what's to stop a principal at another school doing the same? Other schools that do the right thing by these kids will only take kids who live within their catchment. So, you get trapped, unless your child is at an early enough stage where moving to another school would work. In our case, he did very well at Years 2 and 3, now it's dived and it is due to the Year 4 teacher last year and this year's poor excuse. If a child has been traumatised by a teacher, it's hard to get over that, but we're working on it.

Strategies used by parents at our school are to go to tutoring and/or to teach the child extra stuff after school or at the weekend. This is an extra burden on families and kids (financial, time and effort), when other state school kids in WA get appropriate teaching for free, during school time.

You can also take the issue to a level higher than the school, after showing that you have communicated to the school about your child's special needs, and that the school hasn't met them. To try and stop me communicating with them, the class teacher refused to give me her email address (but gave it to other parents, who kindly passed it on) and the deputy airhead told me that she would keep me informed about my child's progress, instead of me asking the teacher how he was doing. Said deputy airhead then didn't keep me informed, so I've got her there. I can show that his performance has dived and that they didn't appropriately inform me, and that they haven't taken any action to turn it around. Actually, their action was to provide him with even easier work, to build his confidence - the confidence that they have damaged by their actions. So, he and others are bored by the easiness of the normal classwork, but the teacher is giving him even easier work.