Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Camping trip, what do I need?

Wikiposts

Camping trip, what do I need?

Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:53 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping trip, what do I need?

Take money for a hotel. I went camping once.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:19 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I have camped in Australia 3 times. It took a while before I got it right:

Trip 1:
Mid-January on Moreton Island (just off Brisbane). 2 of us had a small 2 man tent we we erected in a sweet shady spot under some trees just off the beach and safely away from the huge 'tent city' contructions of locals with their 4WDs (we were pedestrian passengers on the ferry). We spent day swimming in the crystal clear water and didnt panic MUCH when we first saw a fin break the water and head toward us (it was, much to our relief a dolphin come to say hello and swim with us for a while). We were generally lolling about doing nothing.

In the night however, it was HOT.. I mean seriously HOT. The tent was dripping with our sweat and I couldnt hack it - so I got out of the tent and went for a stroll to the shower block. I stumbled around in the dark, flicked on the shower so I could get a burst of cooling water and THEN noticed the irritated looking black snake coiled up on the concrete floor of the the shower.

Obviously I decided against showering and walked (much slower and more carefully) back to the tent. The rest of the weekend was uneventful - but my overriding impression was that January was clearly a stupid time of year to camp. RULE 1- Dont camp when its hot.
Trip2:
Again the 2 of us in our 2 man tent, this time in July. We decided to head up to the hills of the Bunya Mountains (~3 hrs NW of Brisbane).
We found a spot with a fantastic view off the range and over the surrounding hinterland. We had every blanket and doona we could get our hands on and were prepared for a snuggly night.

The night was cold. It wasnt particularly windy as I recall - but lying there in our sleeping bags, wearing 4 layers including big fleeces, covered by a wall of doonas from home it was still bitterly cold. (and I've been camping in some fierce cold conditions high up near the snow line in the Andes so I *know* cold).

As soon as there was light, we were awake. We're not sure whether we slept at all - it was too cold - so as soon as the early morning 'crazy blue-ness' crept above the horizon, we packed up and went for a brisk march around a track to try and warm up. It wasnt succesful - we abandonned our trip and drove down off the mountain to the nearest McD's in Kingaroy for breakfast as soon as they opened. Note: Dont camp on a mountain in winter.... even in this 'mild' climate - its shit. RULE 2 - Dont camp when its cold.

Trip3:
The kids, parents-in-law, sister-in-law+family + other friends on the coast in May - we had 14 in all across 4 large tents with all the bells and whistles... plenty of food (it was like a 3 day non-stop BBQ) plenty of red wine (no need to keep it cool), and nothing much to do excepot let the kids run around doing their energetic thing....
Fantastic until the fever hit me, the vomitting started (seriously not connected to the red wine thing either) and the shivers kicked in. Everyone else seemed to have fun - but I had day of utter misery. RULE 3 - Dont camp when you're sick.

Oddly enough, despite this I'm keen to try and camp again some time soon... I just need to find a time when we have a weekend without work/school/social commitments - and this year seems to be all booked up already... perhaps 2012?...
Old Feb 10th 2011, 5:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I have camped in Australia 3 times. It took a while before I got it right:

Oddly enough, despite this I'm keen to try and camp again some time soon... I just need to find a time when we have a weekend without work/school/social commitments - and this year seems to be all booked up already... perhaps 2012?...
I think someone's trying to tell you something - ie don't go camping, daft exercise.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

For sale Tent, never used.............................................. ...
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cresta57
Essentials:
‰ Tent, Poles and pegs
‰ Ground Sheet
‰ Tent repair kit
‰ Food
‰ Tables
‰ Chairs / Stools
‰ Stove and Fuel
‰ Stove stand
‰ Gas bottle (full)
‰ Gas attachments
‰ Lantern and fuel
‰ Lantern Extension pole
‰ Spare mantles
‰ BBQ Plate
‰ Cooler / Car Fridge
‰ Ice or Ice substitutes
‰ Drink container
‰ Thermos
‰ Water Carrier
‰ Plates / Bowls / Mugs
‰ Knives / Forks / Spoons
‰ Pots and Pans
‰ Cooking utensils
‰ Can opener
‰ Dish cloth
‰ Scourers / Scrubbers
‰ Cutting board
‰ Fry pan
‰ Kettle / Billy
‰ Camp cookware / Cobb
‰ Billy / Pot lifter
‰ Plastic bowl
‰ Washing Tub
‰ Biodegradable soap
‰ Tongs
‰ BBQ Tools
‰ Paper Towels
‰ Garbage bags
‰ Drinking water
‰ Multipurpose Knife
‰ Rope, cord or wire
‰ First Aid Kit
‰ Extra rope
‰ Matches / Long butane lighter
‰ Waterproof match container
‰ Head lamp / Torch
‰ Toiler Paper
‰ Sunscreen
‰ Cloth tape
‰ Directions
Sleeping:
‰ Sleeping bag
‰ Inner sheet
‰ Air bed / Camp bed / Mattress
‰ Air bed repair kit
‰ Pump
‰ Pillow
‰ Cot
Personal:
‰ Layered clothing
‰ Thermals
‰ Swimwear
‰ Sleepwear
‰ Day wear
‰ Shoes / Walking / Casual
‰ Socks
‰ Rainwear
‰ Towels
‰ Hats
‰ Toiletries
Extras:
‰ Fishing gear
‰ Hammer / Mallet
‰ Tent peg puller
‰ Jaffle Iron
‰ Camp Oven
‰ Toaster
‰ Battery operated lantern
‰ Extra batteries
‰ Washstand / basin
‰ Power board
‰ Extension leads
‰ Bucket
‰ Spare Batteries
‰ Door Mat
‰ Interlocking Matting
‰ Back Pack
‰ Camera / Film
‰ Binoculars
‰ Water toys
‰ Ball games
‰ Card games
‰ Books
‰ Compass and Maps
‰ Dustpan and Brush
‰ Clothesline / Pegs
‰ Mozzie coils
‰ Insect repellent
‰ Shovel or trowel
‰ Universal sink plug
‰ Fire Starters
‰ Firewood
‰ Folding saw
‰ Tomahawk
‰ Lantern carry case
‰ Lantern tree hanger
‰ Hot water system / Shower
‰ Toilet system
‰ Shower / Toilet tent
‰ Portable clothes washer
‰ Mozzie Dome
‰ Gazebo
‰ Tent Light
‰ Spare pegs
‰ Spare Tarp
‰ Purification Tablets / Filter
‰ Cylume Stick
‰ Biodegradable Detergent
‰ Heater
‰ Fire Tripod
‰ Picnic blanket
‰ Sun shelter
‰ Kids
Where do you get the kids from?????
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple rain
Where do you get the kids from?????
Have mine.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Essentials:
‰ Tent, Poles and pegs
‰ Ground Sheet
‰ Tent repair kit
‰ Food
‰ Tables
‰ Chairs / Stools
‰ Stove and Fuel
‰ Stove stand
‰ Gas bottle (full)
‰ Gas attachments
‰ Lantern and fuel
‰ Lantern Extension pole
‰ Spare mantles
‰ BBQ Plate
‰ Cooler / Car Fridge
‰ Ice or Ice substitutes
‰ Drink container
‰ Thermos
‰ Water Carrier
‰ Plates / Bowls / Mugs
‰ Knives / Forks / Spoons
‰ Pots and Pans
‰ Cooking utensils
‰ Can opener
‰ Dish cloth
‰ Scourers / Scrubbers
‰ Cutting board
‰ Fry pan
‰ Kettle / Billy
‰ Camp cookware / Cobb
‰ Billy / Pot lifter
‰ Plastic bowl
‰ Washing Tub
‰ Biodegradable soap
‰ Tongs
‰ BBQ Tools
‰ Paper Towels
‰ Garbage bags
‰ Drinking water
‰ Multipurpose Knife
‰ Rope, cord or wire
‰ First Aid Kit
‰ Extra rope
‰ Matches / Long butane lighter
‰ Waterproof match container
‰ Head lamp / Torch
‰ Toiler Paper
‰ Sunscreen
‰ Cloth tape
‰ Directions
Sleeping:
‰ Sleeping bag
‰ Inner sheet
‰ Air bed / Camp bed / Mattress
‰ Air bed repair kit
‰ Pump
‰ Pillow
‰ Cot
Personal:
‰ Layered clothing
‰ Thermals
‰ Swimwear
‰ Sleepwear
‰ Day wear
‰ Shoes / Walking / Casual
‰ Socks
‰ Rainwear
‰ Towels
‰ Hats
‰ Toiletries
Extras:
‰ Fishing gear
‰ Hammer / Mallet
‰ Tent peg puller
‰ Jaffle Iron
‰ Camp Oven
‰ Toaster
‰ Battery operated lantern
‰ Extra batteries
‰ Washstand / basin
‰ Power board
‰ Extension leads
‰ Bucket
‰ Spare Batteries
‰ Door Mat
‰ Interlocking Matting
‰ Back Pack
‰ Camera / Film
‰ Binoculars
‰ Water toys
‰ Ball games
‰ Card games
‰ Books
‰ Compass and Maps
‰ Dustpan and Brush
‰ Clothesline / Pegs
‰ Mozzie coils
‰ Insect repellent
‰ Shovel or trowel
‰ Universal sink plug
‰ Fire Starters
‰ Firewood
‰ Folding saw
‰ Tomahawk
‰ Lantern carry case
‰ Lantern tree hanger
‰ Hot water system / Shower
‰ Toilet system
‰ Shower / Toilet tent
‰ Portable clothes washer
‰ Mozzie Dome
‰ Gazebo
‰ Tent Light
‰ Spare pegs
‰ Spare Tarp
‰ Purification Tablets / Filter
‰ Cylume Stick
‰ Biodegradable Detergent
‰ Heater
‰ Fire Tripod
‰ Picnic blanket
‰ Sun shelter
‰ Kids
You forgot the kitchen sink.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Have mine.
No yours are busy that weekend.Have mine.They love camping.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by irishbloo
No yours are busy that weekend.Have mine.They love camping.
Think we will find it hard enough to look after ourselves, but thanks for the offers
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Think we will find it hard enough to look after ourselves, but thanks for the offers
I could have done you a special deal.You take one and you get the other one free.Another time....
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I could have done you a special deal.You take one and you get the other one free.Another time....
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm perhaps......
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm perhaps......
Take her's and you can have mine for free. Sounds like a deal
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:50 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

‰ Fire Starters
‰ Firewood
And if you ever get the fire going, you'll probably need an extinguisher at some point.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

No camp fire, restrictions in place
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The most useful thing, I have found, is a spare tarpaulin plus some extra tent poles and guy ropes.

You can use it for shade to sit under but also to shade your tent which can turn into an oven on a hot day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.