British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Calling all swimming pool experts..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/calling-all-swimming-pool-experts-533953/)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 2nd 2008 10:29 pm

Calling all swimming pool experts.....

In our garden we have (had) a lovely salt water pool. I used to go out daily and lovingly tend to it - the water was sparkling and crystal clear...

UNTIL, the freaking bats (flying foxes) in Redcliffe decided they might like the berries on the tree that hangs (hung) over the pool!!! :mad:

In the space of a week, they have devoured most every berry on the tree, destroyed it in the process and shat BIG STYLE all over the surrounds to our pool (IMPOSSIBLE to clean off - sets like resin and firkin stinks) and left a nice layer about 2"s deep of shite in the bottom of our pool!! :mad:

So..........the tree has gone! I spent a day hacking it down, never did like it anyway! The pool surround has been scrubbed to within a mm of it's life - still bogging and covered in bat shat! The pool has been hoovered, then re-hoovered and hoovered again. The problem is, as soon as you go anywhere near the bat shat, it turns to a cloud of microscopic particles. I have got most of it out but need some words of wisdom in what I can do to get rid of the rest that is constantly clouding the water?? :confused:

Have tried running the filter non stop for days, but still some remains and falls to the bottom, only to cloud up again as soon as I go near it!

I am at the end of my tether and will happily do an Ozzy Osbourne should a frikkin bat fly ANYWHERE near me again!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::curse:

Luke I Amyofath May 2nd 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Calling all swimming pool experts.....

Keep the filter on fulltime & disturb the bottom of the pool at every chance.
The particles that settle cannot get filtered since they are settled on the bottom and are not in the water so you have to keep making the clouds of shite which will get filtered.

Bernieboy May 2nd 2008 10:34 pm

Mmmm bats you say Fluffs,maybe you should cut down on the alcohol mate but fangs for the post anyway:lol:

DrWho May 2nd 2008 10:35 pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry mate, got no advice, but thanks for making me laugh early on a Saturday morning...!

wanderingwombat May 2nd 2008 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6300603)
In our garden we have (had) a lovely salt water pool. I used to go out daily and lovingly tend to it - the water was sparkling and crystal clear...

UNTIL, the freaking bats (flying foxes) in Redcliffe decided they might like the berries on the tree that hangs (hung) over the pool!!! :mad:

In the space of a week, they have devoured most every berry on the tree, destroyed it in the process and shat BIG STYLE all over the surrounds to our pool (IMPOSSIBLE to clean off - sets like resin and firkin stinks) and left a nice layer about 2"s deep of shite in the bottom of our pool!! :mad:

So..........the tree has gone! I spent a day hacking it down, never did like it anyway! The pool surround has been scrubbed to within a mm of it's life - still bogging and covered in bat shat! The pool has been hoovered, then re-hoovered and hoovered again. The problem is, as soon as you go anywhere near the bat shat, it turns to a cloud of microscopic particles. I have got most of it out but need some words of wisdom in what I can do to get rid of the rest that is constantly clouding the water?? :confused:

Have tried running the filter non stop for days, but still some remains and falls to the bottom, only to cloud up again as soon as I go near it!

I am at the end of my tether and will happily do an Ozzy Osbourne should a frikkin bat fly ANYWHERE near me again!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::curse:

Get the water balance tested at a pool shop (tell them what happened). Bat shite creates an acid that upsets the chemical balance creating the cloudy look.

The bad news is the pool has to be half-drained, refilled and rebalanced.:eek:

WW

Timber Floor Au May 3rd 2008 1:02 am

Get some alginox.

For winter you need about 300ml per 10,000 litres I think.

Whack it in, leave filter on not barracuda.

Scrub with brush, then whack the barracuda on.

Should be clean with 24 hrs.

Dont add it until after 48 hrs after you have chlorinated.

Ste

the plumber May 3rd 2008 3:38 am

only way is to drain pool ....then acid wash shell....!

all the best pool professor....;)

>Trigger< May 3rd 2008 4:10 am

Depending on how bad it is..

Pool floc....Supposed to bind any crap together then run barracuda

http://www.directpoolsupplies.com.au/prod179.htm

Then Alginox

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 3rd 2008 5:51 am

Blimey! I'm even more confused now! SO much conflicting advice! So...................who's the 'real' expert then? :p
Thanx anyways to all that have bothered their arses to respond! :)

why May 3rd 2008 6:08 am

have you tries a pool blue block? not the loo sort!!! i use them regularly and it clears any particles. also back wash and take a sample of your water to the pool shop and they will tell you what to do. my pool has been bogging and i have never emptied it . i am sure you won't need to do that. don't worry you will swim again!!!! having a pool in the winter is a pain but still worth it .. i'm off out to clear mine out too!!1 we live close to a quarry so get lots of very fine dust in ours all the time and the blue cube always gets rid of it.

Timber Floor Au May 3rd 2008 8:06 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6301397)
Blimey! I'm even more confused now! SO much conflicting advice! So...................who's the 'real' expert then? :p

I put my money on Trig lol

Im only very new to all this pool malarkey :)

gillysm May 3rd 2008 8:08 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6301397)

I'd floc it - it worked for us when out pool got filled with soil after a storm - the soil upset the acid balance. Floc it, leave filter running for 24hrs (NOT with Barracuda in), then vacuum it, put Barracuda back in and wait.