The C word

Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The C word

Thinking about it, I swore a lot, and aggressively, in my teens/ early 20s. I have a video we made at 17 with some mates and every other word is one...my mother turned around to her friend and said 'These boys have a very limited vocabluary don't you think?'

I think what changed was going to work in an office environment and being around much more polite people. I definitely don't use the C word, and to a lesser extent the F word nowhere near as much - but I also have young kids..
Old Feb 13th 2013, 11:47 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Yesterday, I was having a discussion with some girls and one used the C word when describing an ex colleague. One of the girls was so shocked and turned bright red. She couldn't believe it had been used and said she had never heard it used by a woman. It started a discussion on it and opinions were divided.
Does she work here?

Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great swear word, but only in relation to guys. Calling a women that is not cool.

Americans are shocked when they hear Aussies/Poms/Saffas using the word freely.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a great swear word, but only in relation to guys. Calling a women that is not cool.

Americans are shocked when they hear Aussies/Poms/Saffas using the word freely.
Yeah, I think it's a cultural thing. In North America twat and wanker are not considered swearing where in UK they are. Some words we use are strange to Aussies/Poms/Saffas. For instance I use "****ing the dog" all the time. It basically means doing nothing but one of the girls I work with thought it was really offensive.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yeah, I think it's a cultural thing. In North America twat and wanker are not considered swearing where in UK they are. Some words we use are strange to Aussies/Poms/Saffas. For instance I use "****ing the dog" all the time. It basically means doing nothing but one of the girls I work with thought it was really offensive.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
For instance I use "****ing the dog" all the time. It basically means doing nothing but one of the girls I work with thought it was really offensive.

Can you give us the context? Like..."yeah...it was too hot so I just stayed at home all day ****ing the dog"!?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

Can you give us the context? Like..."yeah...it was too hot so I just stayed at home all day ****ing the dog"!?

"My wife came home early and caught me ****ing the dog..."

S
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

Actually it should probably be "My wife came home early and caught me ****ing the dog, eh..."
Old Feb 14th 2013, 3:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

Pretty much. The conversation would go something like this...
"So, what did you do at work today?"
"Meh, not much. Just sat around ****ing the dog all afternoon."

It's along the same lines of if I'm having a particularly lazy day I'll say I just sat around looking pretty all day. Not quite the same effect, but means the same thing.
Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
No, that would just be wrong.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Thinking about it, I swore a lot, and aggressively, in my teens/ early 20s. I have a video we made at 17 with some mates and every other word is one...my mother turned around to her friend and said 'These boys have a very limited vocabluary don't you think?'

I think what changed was going to work in an office environment and being around much more polite people. I definitely don't use the C word, and to a lesser extent the F word nowhere near as much - but I also have young kids..
I hate to use it.... used it a lot more when I was younger and reckon it's the swear word with the most effect.

Re Kids and swearing... I reckon that the younger generation... whatever group they full under are swearing a lot less in everyday conversation than ten years ago.

I notice this because there is a 10 year age difference between our first two kids and our younger two... I never hear my 15 YO son and his mates swearing when they talk between each other... my 18 yo daughter and her mates swear a bit .... whereas 10 years ago their older two sisters as the same age where swearing in almost every sentence... I reckon we're on the cusp of a new conservatism amongst the young. Could be the Muslim influence.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:04 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I can say hand on heart it is a word I have never used and probably never will. I rarely swear as it is, there is no real need to.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

A big word for a big situation, used any other way is either not necessary or going to start a fight. Never to be used in front of a lady although i've heard it spoken by plenty.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I don't swear much but not out of any moral outrage. I just cannot understand how particular words are offensive in themselves. It's possible to be just as offensive without swearing.

If someone swears in a different language would you be as offended? How would you even know? I could write lots of non-English swear words here and who would object?

It seems that some people think you should be offended ("a big word") but that says more about them than me.

Last edited by lesleys; Feb 14th 2013 at 9:18 am.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:15 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Ch33sy cu?!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:04 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I think it used to be viewed as THE worst swear word and it was usually ONLY men that used it. Nowadays it's used all the time , and I see it as a funny word now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.