British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The C word (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/c-word-787300/)

Kapri Feb 13th 2013 5:47 pm

The C word

I was just wondering how people felt about the C word (******).

I used to find it totally unacceptable and would be quite shocked if I heard it used but in recent years I have become desensitised to it.

It started with attending a showing of The Vagina Monologues. The audience was divided into two and we had a ****** shouting competition in order to reclaim the word. It was great fun! :D

These days, I hear it reasonable regularly and it doesn't shock me at all.

Yesterday, I was having a discussion with some girls and one used the C word when describing an ex colleague. One of the girls was so shocked and turned bright red. She couldn't believe it had been used and said she had never heard it used by a woman. It started a discussion on it and opinions were divided.

What's your opinion?

Hebe Feb 13th 2013 6:29 pm

Re: The C word

Personally I don't have a problem with it - it is just another swear word, albeit a very powerful one.

Kim67 Feb 13th 2013 6:49 pm

The only time this word is totally acceptable is when it slips from the lips of Richard Gear in an Officer and a Gentleman.

old.sparkles Feb 13th 2013 6:57 pm

Working with blokes all the time I hear the word used quite a lot. Most of them get embarrassed if they know I've heard them say it :lol:

Personally I tend to call people ankles - lower than a c*** :lol:

Dreamy Feb 13th 2013 7:11 pm

I swear like a trooper but that's one word I would feel very uncomfortable saying. It doesn't bother me to hear it said now (like you, I've become desensitised to it) but I wouldn't use it.

I was the same about the tw*t word, but that's because where I grew up that word was on a par with the c word - Himself, who grew up in the South, didn't think it was any worse than bugger!

Mind you, I still can't/don't/won't swear in front of my mother.

Mummy3 Feb 13th 2013 7:14 pm

I hate it, think its the worst. But I hate swearing...

carolinephillips Feb 13th 2013 7:35 pm

Loathe it, but I also don't swear other than to say the occasional bu**er - which out here is not really swearing.

If you are using swearing as general punctuation, (ie in every sentance,)then it loses its impact. It should be saved for those special moments when it is really necessary- much more shocking, and cathartic for the person using it.

Beoz Feb 13th 2013 7:39 pm

I like it but I reserve it for special occasions.

old.sparkles Feb 13th 2013 7:42 pm

Apart from using the term ankle, I also use poodle as I don't really swear much either. My older kids swear more than I'd like but no where near as much as some of their cousins whose parents swear a lot. The young spark doesn't really swear either, but will ask you to tell him whether a particular word he's heard is a swear word or not :lol:

But given enough provocation I will swear - a driver who nearly crashed into me on a roundabout was called a p**ck which is about as bad as I get. So I have to ask is p**ck more acceptable than ****** :confused:

IvanM Feb 13th 2013 8:32 pm

Only cvn75 would use it.

BadgeIsBack Feb 13th 2013 9:12 pm

I don't like the word but if I use it, always with heavy irony, and directed to a man...and even then I joke about it.

I would never use it in front of a woman.

I occasionally swear in conversation - again - with loads of irony and it's clear that I've messing around - I don't get aggressive with it.

I swore a lot more as a teen.

JoeBloggs80 Feb 13th 2013 9:22 pm

I use it all the time.

cresta57 Feb 13th 2013 9:27 pm

I saw it on a bumper sticker yesterday:
Can Do's A Can't
In reference to our illustrious leader Campbell 'Can Do' Newman. Obviously Can't was spelled with a u:o

Swerv-o Feb 13th 2013 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 10543277)
I use it all the time.

Me too. No problems with it at all.

S

Dorothy Feb 13th 2013 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 10542949)
I swear like a trooper but that's one word I would feel very uncomfortable saying. It doesn't bother me to hear it said now (like you, I've become desensitised to it) but I wouldn't use it.

I was the same about the tw*t word, but that's because where I grew up that word was on a par with the c word - Himself, who grew up in the South, didn't think it was any worse than bugger!

Mind you, I still can't/don't/won't swear in front of my mother.

I think Dreamy and I were seperated at birth. These are my feelings exactly. (well, except for tw*t which isn't a swear word where I'm from)