Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Old May 23rd 2018, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Just rid ourselves of NG. Bring in greater rights for renters. 1.3 Million folk living in Australia in housing distress. A true indictment of the grubbiness that has all too often become a feature of this country.
Sorry but your placard waving has clouded your judgement. NG if anything helps keep rent low because the tax payer supplements the loss.

Instead investors should not be rewarded for bad investments. If you invest, your problem if the rental income can't support the mortgage and other costs. Not the tax payers.

Unfortunately NG is here to stay. Too many mums and dads, and the less wealthier investors have too much too lose if it was abolished. As I said before wealthy people don't need NG. They don't make losses on bad investments.

Your hatred towards the wealthy tripped you up there.
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:47 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Unfortunately NG is here to stay. Too many mums and dads, and the less wealthier investors have too much too lose if it was abolished. As I said before wealthy people don't need NG. They don't make losses on bad investments.
Just because you say this doesn't make it true. I remember a couple of years ago the ABS published some stats around this...those in the 500k+ income category actually accounted for the largest chuck of NG claimed. They were also details on NG claimed by occupation and I think surgeons took the No 1 spot.

Negative gearing: Four graphs that show it is mostly for the rich | afr.com

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/tax/s...0160214-gmu3xi

Last edited by bcworld; May 23rd 2018 at 10:49 pm.
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:31 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Of course its fairer. Everyone pays the same in proportional terms.

Ecomomically it doesn't work so we have the progressive system.

And?
It was a question, that was all. No need to get defensive.

There is plenty of evidence that the Liberals would like the same. The budget papers show they are aiming for a flat tax for everyone earning up to 200k.

There is also past evidence that they have looked at this previously, but dismissed it as it places too heavy a burden on the low paid, which it surely would

I'd accept a flat tax as long as the tax free allowance was raised to something like around $50k to $80k to protect those low earners, but I fear that if we were to do so that flat rate would need to be around 35% or more for all (no evidence, just gut feel and my opinion not fact)
Old May 24th 2018, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

There is plenty of evidence that the Liberals would like the same. The budget papers show they are aiming for a flat tax for everyone earning up to 200k.

There is also past evidence that they have looked at this previously, but dismissed it as it places too heavy a burden on the low paid, which it surely would

I'd accept a flat tax as long as the tax free allowance was raised to something like around $50k to $80k to protect those low earners, but I fear that if we were to do so that flat rate would need to be around 35% or more for all (no evidence, just gut feel and my opinion not fact)
Well if what you say there is correct then good on them for being fair. Firstly for looking to be fairer then acting on the findings.

Good to see them recognising that the wealthy (and we are looking at the top 3% or there abouts) are giving well and beyond what general Joe Blow gives them credit for and acting on the unfairness found.

Such a shame we have the ALP and The Guardian who are so intent on lying about what the wealthy contribute to society.
Old May 24th 2018, 5:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo, this is going to set the fox amongst the rats. Particularly certain far right journalistic rats. Elon Musk has set up a company/website where you can rank the trustworthiness or “the core truth” of an article, journalist, newspaper, website, etc. - calling it "Pravda".

What's that I hear? The sound of a thousand far right demagogues sharpening their knives?

How long before the plaintive cry of "fake news" is met with a "I have a Pravda score 8.4 I'll have you know".

Elon Musk: Pravda project takes on journalism
Old May 24th 2018, 6:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's nice but none of this alters the fact that over half of income taxpayers (the bottom half) take more out of the system than they put in. From that it can easily be deducted that the highest paid, pay by far the most income tax

Thank heavens we have GST or that bottom half would be paying virtually no tax. Economics 101 shows us that consumption taxes are one the most efficient forms of tax. It should be higher and income tax should be lower but no political party has the will to implement this as the libtards would scream them down. Everyone should pay some income tax on everything they earn - so no 18k tax free allowance - even if the rate at the lower end is, say, 2-5%. Everyone shares the services that taxation pays for so everyone should pay for them
Old May 24th 2018, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely. Only with no tax impost for anyone earning under $50,000 would anything close to a degree of fairness prevail. The situation being though, the rich are just too difficult to claim their just dues in impost from and the burden falls on the lower earners. (wage earners) It would be grossly unfair and yet furthering class divisions within this nation.

No body has yet explained just how Australia would maintain anything akin to a modern welfare state, if the Coalition had their way and cut tax for Big business (totally unwarranted and uncalled for, not to say ineffective) as well as create a largely 'flat tax' for a least a great per cent of the population.

Hopefully people of goodwill, regardless of their individual situation, will speak out in ever increasing numbers with ever increasing volume against a raft of proposals totally at odds with the well being of the country.
Old May 24th 2018, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's nice but none of this alters the fact that over half of income taxpayers (the bottom half) take more out of the system than they put in. From that it can easily be deducted that the highest paid, pay by far the most income tax

Thank heavens we have GST or that bottom half would be paying virtually no tax. Economics 101 shows us that consumption taxes are one the most efficient forms of tax. It should be higher and income tax should be lower but no political party has the will to implement this as the libtards would scream them down. Everyone should pay some income tax on everything they earn - so no 18k tax free allowance - even if the rate at the lower end is, say, 2-5%. Everyone shares the services that taxation pays for so everyone should pay for them
If you creased reading neoliberal text books you just might arrive at a partial truth. In theory the rich pay more tax, but in reality, as most should now know, they do not through creative accounting. Of course those with means should pay more. Reason why a progressive tax is fairer. No GST while it will ensure all pay the impost, it further burdens those of less means by adding to overall cost.

Here's a thought. Go after those that consider themselves 'above' the need to contribute towards society as well as the vast amounts squirreled away in tax havens.
Old May 24th 2018, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry but your placard waving has clouded your judgement. NG if anything helps keep rent low because the tax payer supplements the loss.

Instead investors should not be rewarded for bad investments. If you invest, your problem if the rental income can't support the mortgage and other costs. Not the tax payers.

Your hatred towards the wealthy tripped you up there.
NG can and should be reigned in as it has caused undue damage. It has long been disproved that rents rise and I believe I have had this conversation with you on previous occasions explaining why it is bad and add fuels to the fire. Of course wealthy use it. Just a neoliberal attempt at justification to continue insisting it is lower middle class benefiting. I know it came out the mouth of Morrison, (need say more)

The super wealthy, (I certainly don't include you in that, so try and remain cool about it) bring on hatred towards themselves. Your continued advocating (indeed, loudly applauding)for that sector is increasingly isolating you from the rest od society, which I believe, is increasingly fed up to the back teeth with the goings on of the wealthy, government, banks, real estate, over flooding immigration, cutting of services, complete disregard for the vulnerable.
Old May 24th 2018, 7:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If you creased reading neoliberal text books you just might arrive at a partial truth. In theory the rich pay more tax, but in reality, as most should now know, they do not through creative accounting. Of course those with means should pay more. Reason why a progressive tax is fairer. No GST while it will ensure all pay the impost, it further burdens those of less means by adding to overall cost.

Here's a thought. Go after those that consider themselves 'above' the need to contribute towards society as well as the vast amounts squirreled away in tax havens.
I don't know what you mean by 'creased'?

My comments on tax are based on reading about and understanding economic reality - not on the opinion of someone with an axe to grind on an internet forum Herman

Some higher income earners are reducing their tax burden significantly, most are not - if all did, a lot of income tax would have to forgone by the Commonwealth - which is raking it in at the moment. What is an indisputable fact is that more than half of income tax payers take more out of the system than they put in. Therefore, the rest of the taxpayers have to carry these people - which is why our tax rates for higher earners are so onerous. It ain't rocket surgery Herman!
Old May 24th 2018, 7:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

NG can and should be reigned in as it has caused undue damage. It has long been disproved that rents rise and I believe I have had this conversation with you on previous occasions explaining why it is bad and add fuels to the fire. Of course wealthy use it. Just a neoliberal attempt at justification to continue insisting it is lower middle class benefiting. I know it came out the mouth of Morrison, (need say more)

The super wealthy, (I certainly don't include you in that, so try and remain cool about it) bring on hatred towards themselves. Your continued advocating (indeed, loudly applauding)for that sector is increasingly isolating you from the rest od society, which I believe, is increasingly fed up to the back teeth with the goings on of the wealthy, government, banks, real estate, over flooding immigration, cutting of services, complete disregard for the vulnerable.
Like a lot of countries, Germany has NG. Why is it okay for them, but not for Australia? How much damage has NG done in Germany?
Old May 25th 2018, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well if what you say there is correct then good on them for being fair. Firstly for looking to be fairer then acting on the findings.

Good to see them recognising that the wealthy (and we are looking at the top 3% or there abouts) are giving well and beyond what general Joe Blow gives them credit for and acting on the unfairness found.

Such a shame we have the ALP and The Guardian who are so intent on lying about what the wealthy contribute to society.
The shame lays with your thinking vast earners shouldn't pay more by pure virtue that they can afford to pay more. They never pay their full share, so why always complain on behalf of a small segment that is well and truly able to 'look after' own financial affairs?
Shame also that others of good intent, outside of ALP and Guardian do not take up the chalice and speak on behalf of actual people. Not an ideology proven to be broken, while in the meantime doing great damage to the capitalist brand . (not to say democracy)

How about the wealthy getting ever wealthier? Time they were held to account in their dealings. You applauding the top few per cent controlling more wealth than the majority , is quite frankly appalling. But the crux of the issue being of course they should pay more tax.
Old May 25th 2018, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Like a lot of countries, Germany has NG. Why is it okay for them, but not for Australia? How much damage has NG done in Germany?
You have tried to pass this of before and it has been explained to you. It is not the same. Hence Germans are not in the mess Australians find themselves in. There has been an increase in home ownership in recent times in Germany, (but still low) due to lack of interest rates and other options. Australia and I believe New Zealand are pretty much alone in the ridiculous NG system as
Old May 25th 2018, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The shame lays with your thinking vast earners shouldn't pay more by pure virtue that they can afford to pay more. They never pay their full share, so why always complain on behalf of a small segment that is well and truly able to 'look after' own financial affairs?
Shame also that others of good intent, outside of ALP and Guardian do not take up the chalice and speak on behalf of actual people. Not an ideology proven to be broken, while in the meantime doing great damage to the capitalist brand . (not to say democracy)

How about the wealthy getting ever wealthier? Time they were held to account in their dealings. You applauding the top few per cent controlling more wealth than the majority , is quite frankly appalling. But the crux of the issue being of course they should pay more tax.
Again you drink the ALP/Guardian koolaid.

The facts speak for themselves. Care to explain?

The top 10 per cent of taxpayers - with taxable incomes of more than $105,500 - paid 46 per cent.
The bottom third paid less than 5 per cent

Are you deluded or what?
Old May 25th 2018, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Ooo, this is going to set the fox amongst the rats. Particularly certain far right journalistic rats. Elon Musk has set up a company/website where you can rank the trustworthiness or “the core truth” of an article, journalist, newspaper, website, etc. - calling it "Pravda".

What's that I hear? The sound of a thousand far right demagogues sharpening their knives?

How long before the plaintive cry of "fake news" is met with a "I have a Pravda score 8.4 I'll have you know".

Elon Musk: Pravda project takes on journalism
He will have a great time with the Guardian fake news.

But it has to be said, Musk is on a mission to capture the hearts and minds of the far left. He needs to be careful. He has already tripped up several times. You can't keep beating that rhetoric without throwing in a for stretched truths here and there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.