Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Old Apr 27th 2016, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I'd assume any number of home owners that got in prior to the boom, and long before have made a few hundred per cent on their initial purchase and could care less if a reduction in house prices returned Australia to a more equitable nation, where their kids stood a chance to purchase.

Those consumed by greed will just have to suck it up, I'm afraid. WE know the neo libs care little beyond shellfish self interest and are increasingly on the nose with their failed economic policy.
Well time will tell I guess. It would be interesting to hear if current home owners would be prepared to suck it up and vote ALP.

No one has actually admitted it yet.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Why .... does it prove your case wrong

Nope. I hear and understand that tampering with negative gearing will have impacts. You can't just look at it from a one eyed point of view. It will have ramifications everywhere.

There are more defence force personnel who use negative gearing than surgeons, judges, anaesthetists and psychiatrists combined. There is 25 times the number of nurses, defence force personnel and emergency service workers combined who use negative gearing compared with surgeons, anaesthetists and judges combined.

The public servants are the very people you are trying to protect.

I've told you before I don't believe in negative gearing and you are absolutely right. Its dangerous to have so much debt and wealth tied to one industry. Do you have a solution that won't upset your mates in the public service - the biggest abusers of negative gearing?

More rubbish

How's your retirement fund tax avoidance strategy going?

Lots of avoidance on that topic?
Sadly not rubbish. I wonder if you have any idea where banks access money from? Answer abroad for the large part.

I have no retirement fund strategy that I do not pay tax on besides what the nanny Australian state forced me to partake in.

No fancy bean counter schemes in place in my name and pay well above the rates most international corporates shell out. But don't you concern yourself, my possible age poverty will born out known I contributed my share and above in the hope that services will avail when needed by self and close ones.

My solution is of course to do away with NG. Most the rest of the world functions perfectly well without and those Anglo countries that do partake, Canada and New Zealand both similar to Australia, have an unaffordable housing market and high rents to match.

People still buy to rent in countries that don't possess such nonsense. Besides the 90% that don't NG are becoming increasing questioning why they should carry through subsidising the ten per cent whom do.

The impacts it will have of course is to remove well off regardless of if tradies or simply rich buying multiple housing to let and being subsidised to do so.

It is a rather basic right that everyone should be in line to purchase a home. Only 4% of Sydney housing for one, falls under the affordability of first home buyers.
A shocker in a house owning democracy, with historical high levels of home ownership as Australia.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Well time will tell I guess. It would be interesting to hear if current home owners would be prepared to suck it up and vote ALP.

No one has actually admitted it yet.
Well if they don't and the present situation is allowed to continue the fall will be that much greater when it unfolds and hard times will prevail for many more.

Far better to take a bit of a loss now than lose more later and restore a more traditional approach to housing. At the moment the implications are becoming ever increasingly dire for the nation.
It will not be a country worth living in. Business will find it ever harder to recruit more will seek a better environment overseas, crime will become an ever increasing issue, stress and mental health issues will further escalate (already so) society will further splinter into haves and have nots, and the welfare safety net will ever endure larger holes and more slipping through.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

To be cooked, most Australian home owners would need to tick "ALP" on their ballot forms knowing the there is a very good chance their property will drop in value.
Well where's the analysis and modelling on this? The govt certainly hasn't provided any...just 'common sense'.

We had the Grattan Institute modelling suggesting prices would be 2% lower than they otherwise might be. Put that in the context of the price rises we've seen in Sydney and Melbourne over the last couple of years...it might mean prices rose 19% instead of 20%. Well to be frank, I couldn't care less! When it's time to move up the ladder my house is worth 2% less (but still say 25% more than I paid for it) and so is the one I want to buy!
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the original post...here's the ABC's (to be ignored obviously) verdict on the CFMEU's claims:

Fact check: Would building workers have less rights than ice dealers under ABCC laws? - Fact Check - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old Apr 27th 2016, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well where's the analysis and modelling on this? The govt certainly hasn't provided any...just 'common sense'.

We had the Grattan Institute modelling suggesting prices would be 2% lower than they otherwise might be. Put that in the context of the price rises we've seen in Sydney and Melbourne over the last couple of years...it might mean prices rose 19% instead of 20%. Well to be frank, I couldn't care less! When it's time to move up the ladder my house is worth 2% less (but still say 25% more than I paid for it) and so is the one I want to buy!
Where is the Grattan Institutes modelling?

If they are right, (and know one really knows do they) is 2% going to be enough to help first home buyers? Not really.

Not sure the rest will share your sediment about house prices dipping.

What really needs to happen here is is somehow making property more affordable for FHB without jeopardising house prices. There needs to be some type of skew in numbers too. More FBH, less investor.

Probably requires some type of balancing act between placing a fee on investor purchases that are passed back to the FHB.

That fee needs to be a balancing act to keep some investors in the game and enough so FBH can actually get in the game, all the while not affecting house prices.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.

Manus island being forced to close, and Nauru not looking good either. Not the kind of bad publicity you want on the run up to an election.

Manus Island detention centre to close, Papua New Guinea prime minister says | Australia news | The Guardian

Particularly since Dutton said yesterday that he wouldn't be taking the asylum seekers back to Australia. Shouldn't have left himself a hostage to fortune on that one.

Someone up there doesn't like Turnbull, or the coalition.

Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Oh dear.

Manus island being forced to close, and Nauru not looking good either. Not the kind of bad publicity you want on the run up to an election.

Manus Island detention centre to close, Papua New Guinea prime minister says | Australia news | The Guardian

Particularly since Dutton said yesterday that he wouldn't be taking the asylum seekers back to Australia. Shouldn't have left himself a hostage to fortune on that one.

Someone up there doesn't like Turnbull, or the coalition.

Its PNG - throw money at the problem.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Its PNG - throw money at the problem.
Threaten to cut some aid - they'll soon fall into line

Despite what the lefties want, these people are not coming to Australia
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Threaten to cut some aid - they'll soon fall into line

Despite what the lefties want, these people are not coming to Australia
The timing of this makes it more important than ever that LNP win the next federal election again. The pigs ear that we all know the ALP will make if this development lands again on their laps will lead us straight back to the era of out-of-control boat arrivals and thousands of deaths at sea.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
The timing of this makes it more important than ever that LNP win the next federal election again. The pigs ear that we all know the ALP will make if this development lands again on their laps will lead us straight back to the era of out-of-control boat arrivals and thousands of deaths at sea.
The ALP like the trade of people smuggling. Simple as that. Its not even a taxable occupation.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 9:55 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The ALP like the trade of people smuggling. Simple as that. Its not even a taxable occupation.
Yep, they share the same vision as Mama Merkel

Last edited by paulry; Apr 27th 2016 at 10:04 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:47 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

And now Dutton is saying Nauru has "plenty of space" (despite the 'emergency situation' there), but that Australia doesn't have to take the asylum seekers because
“The 850 people under the MOU are the responsibility of the PNG government,”
and
“We’ve paid the PNG government a lot of money,”
I do sometimes wonder if aussie politicians have even a thimbleful of political nouse. Way to piss off, with threats, the PNG government and have to climb down again when they set a timetable. He needed to push this beyond the election, for which he needed the PNG government onside. It's going to be in their interests to kick them off the island in a short timeframe (less than a month) to show they aren't weak, and probably to have TV crews there to cover the inevitable riot.

Old Apr 28th 2016, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And now Dutton is saying Nauru has "plenty of space" (despite the 'emergency situation' there), but that Australia doesn't have to take the asylum seekers because

and

I do sometimes wonder if aussie politicians have even a thimbleful of political nouse. Way to piss off, with threats, the PNG government and have to climb down again when they set a timetable. He needed to push this beyond the election, for which he needed the PNG government onside. It's going to be in their interests to kick them off the island in a short timeframe (less than a month) to show they aren't weak, and probably to have TV crews there to cover the inevitable riot.

So you aren't concerned with the welfare of these people, just the political outcome?

Just under half have been judged to not be genuine refugees. These are they very people who are in it for their own self interest, removing the capacity for governments to deal with the genuine refugees.

It's such a shame. The people trafficking measures were working so well. It would be such a pity if we went back to square one.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 4:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

and

Why are you so desperate for 700-odd single muslim men to come to Australia? The majority of the electorate does not want them here - and even the ALP know this

One of the great things about this country is our tough stance of boat arrivals - many other countries should take note

Any party advocating bringing these people to Australia would get smashed at the election

Ain't going to happen champ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.